Matthijs de Ligt

Newcomer

Why?

De Jong the Barca fan was close to PSG (not that money is not important to him) while De Ligt the non-Barca fan who seems to a care a lot about money and playing time (both of which PSG has plenty of) was a non-starter?

I think you got them completely reversed.

Why?

De Jong the Barca fan was close to PSG (not that money is not important to him) while De Ligt the non-Barca fan who seems to a care a lot about money and playing time (both of which PSG has plenty of) was a non-starter?

I think you got them completely reversed.

Because it was reported via the dutch source that is was 99 % done.
There were pictures of their sides meeting, details etc.
PSG was almost always in the lead, there were an agreement between Overmars and Henrique, the player himself said he was signing for PSG for sure just before the last second U turn. The player had even said how excited he was when his girlfriend has told him about PSG interest.

Bar only recent reports PSG is trying to deal with Mino Raiola, there was no substantial link between the two sides or even interest.

I don't really care about the players being supposedly "fans" of clubs, except for the academy players, because as de Jong showed, without an improved economical offer from their previous offer, de Jong would be at PSG.

I don't kid myself anymore with the so called love. They are professional. The fans are the ones that love the club.
As already said, Barça is paying the biggest wages by a big margin while their players supposedly love the club.
Thiago Silva was loving Milan AC but now love PSG more as his paycheck is good enough.

Magyarkhan

PSG was almost always in the lead, there were an agreement between Overmars and Henrique, the player himself said he was signing for PSG for sure just before the last second U turn. The player had even said how excited he was when his girlfriend has told him about PSG interest.

Bar only recent reports PSG is trying to deal with Mino Raiola, there was no substantial link between the two sides or even interest.

I don't really care about the players being supposedly "fans" of clubs, except for the academy players, because as de Jong showed, without an improved economical offer from their previous offer, de Jong would be at PSG.

I don't kid myself anymore with the so called love. They are professional. The fans are the ones that love the club.
As already said, Barça is paying the biggest wages by a big margin while their players supposedly love the club.
Thiago Silva was loving Milan AC but now love PSG more as his paycheck is good enough.

Allthis fuzz, in holland we know he goes to barca for various reasons... why would money be important of you can play a few years with the GOAT? Matthijs and Frenkie are Messi fans... its a done deal. You can ban me from the forum if it aint. :)

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

Where are those pictures? Show me the proof that De Jong said "he was signing for PSG for sure". Is there any?

So you are basically saying De Jong only signed for Barca because we offered him more money than PSG did, right? OK, by your logic, even a Barca fan like De Jong was tempted by PSG because of money and he only signed with Barca again because of money, now if we believe the reports (that PSG is offering Ajax 90m and offering De Ligt twice of what we offered him in terms of wage), a non-Barca fan like De Ligt would naturally and easily choose PSG because you offer more money (and more playing time).

You can't have the cake and eat it too. The logic only works in one way.

Newcomer

You just have to go through the whole de Jong thread.
De Telegraaf were the ones showing PSG side with Overmars or Dursun at Amsterdam. It was the breaking news in the saga by Mike W. (don't want to mispell his name).
De Jong after signing for Barcelona said that he was definitely signing for PSG, just before his U turn. He said that his girlfriend made him change his mind.
And you were in that same thread doubting or joking about his girlfriend being Bartomeu for making him change his mind.

Now, i think that de Ligt has never been announced as being done for PSG at 99% like it was said for de Ligt. Until recently, PSG was not even in the discussion.
And it is especially because de Jong is at Barcelona that i think de Ligt will join him.
If de Jong was at PSG, i would think de Ligt would come.

Newcomer

[tw]1070822835881414657[/tw]

Here is the picture taken by de Telegraaf of PSG delegation meeting de Jong side at Amsterdam.

de Jong being excited by PSG offer :
https://en.as.com/en/2018/12/09/football/1544357580_776526.html

FDJ talking about the relevance of playing time, the financial situation on top of his love for Barca : In an interview with NOS following the announcement of his imminent arrival in Spain, De Jong appeared to reject th business model of his two other suitors, declaring: "​Barcelona have wanted me for a long time, they already tried to sign me last year. But they also have their financial situation, they can’t just spend loads of money."

Barcelona have always been a dream club for me. The fact that they were so serious about getting me and that I have a good chance of getting playing time made the decision a bit easier.

"I already watched Barcelona as a kid and then when I was a bit more aware of the game you had the Guardiola era with all their successes. That turned me into an even bigger fan. I have always been a big fan of [Lionel] Messi, although I liked the entire team."

Barca making bumper offer to secure de Jong transfer : https://www.*********/en/news/barce...ead-of-psg-and-man-/aybtzw7k0muh16710iirlnysi

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
You just have to go through the whole de Jong thread.
De Telegraaf were the ones showing PSG side with Overmars or Dursun at Amsterdam. It was the breaking news in the saga by Mike W. (don't want to mispell his name).
De Jong after signing for Barcelona said that he was definitely signing for PSG, just before his U turn. He said that his girlfriend made him change his mind.
And you were in that same thread doubting or joking about his girlfriend being Bartomeu for making him change his mind.

Now, i think that de Ligt has never been announced as being done for PSG at 99% like it was said for de Ligt. Until recently, PSG was not even in the discussion.
And it is especially because de Jong is at Barcelona that i think de Ligt will join him.
If de Jong was at PSG, i would think de Ligt would come.

Thanks for the picture but that only shows PSG was meeting with De Jong's agent, that itself does not indicate it was 99% done.

Also, the AS article and what you said De Jong said at the time could be interpreted as him being diplomatic. Of course, make no mistake, that offer from PSG was very appealing and I am sure if we didn't go for him he would have signed with you guys. I was always under the impression that prior to Bartomeu going to Amsterdam we never actually submitted a formal offer, there was just talks of us wanting De Jong. This may or may not be true. Nevertheless, what we still don't know to this day is whether the offer we offered him which he accepted was lower or higher than what PSG offered him (I am not talking about the transfer fee paid to Ajax, I am talking about wage and bonus etc.). If it was lower than what PSG offered him, respect to him. If it was higher than what PSG offered to him, of course that made him even happier and I personally don't have a problem with it.

Now, going back to De Ligt. I saw a picture someone posted of Nasser, Henriques(?) and Raiola talking to one another. Not sure when and where that picture was taken. PSG offered him reportedly a 5-year contract which pays him 15m per year, and 90m to Ajax and who knows how much to Raiola. That is just the starting point. If De Ligt likes it, he would choose you guys. We will see. I hope he will choose us but I am not optimistic.

The picture you are trying to paint for De Jong is that he is a greedy guy who signed with us because we gave him more money. OK, let's agree on that for the sake of the argument here. Again, base on your logic, wouldn't De Ligt naturally choose PSG since you guys offered much more than we did?? You can't have it both ways.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Thanks for the picture but that only shows PSG was meeting with De Jong's agent, that itself does not indicate it was 99% done.

Also, the AS article and what you said De Jong said at the time could be interpreted as him being diplomatic. Of course, make no mistake, that offer from PSG was very appealing and I am sure if we didn't go for him he would have signed with you guys. I was always under the impression that prior to Bartomeu going to Amsterdam we never actually submitted a formal offer, there was just talks of us wanting De Jong. This may or may not be true. Nevertheless, what we still don't know to this day is whether the offer we offered him which he accepted was lower or higher than what PSG offered him (I am not talking about the transfer fee paid to Ajax, I am talking about wage and bonus etc.). If it was lower than what PSG offered him, respect to him. If it was higher than what PSG offered to him, of course that made him even happier and I personally don't have a problem with it.

Now, going back to De Ligt. I saw a picture someone posted of Nasser, Henriques(?) and Raiola talking to one another. Not sure when and where that picture was taken. PSG offered him reportedly a 5-year contract which pays him 15m per year, and 90m to Ajax and who knows how much to Raiola. That is just the starting point. If De Ligt likes it, he would choose you guys. We will see. I hope he will choose us but I am not optimistic.

The picture you are trying to paint for De Jong is that he is a greedy guy who signed with us because we gave him more money. OK, let's agree on that for the sake of the argument here. Again, base on your logic, wouldn't De Ligt naturally choose PSG since you guys offered much more than we did?? You can't have it both ways.

It was in the report of de Telegraaf...

Have you memory trouble ?

I refer you to the post in de Jong thread around 21/22/23 Januray and after...

I even see a post where i announced he had stopped following Real Madrid and you liked the answer from Givenchy who was wondering why he was following Real Madrid if he was a true fan.

Around those pages, everyone here was astonished by the fee and the salary offered by Barcelona but now you want to tell me it was all about love for Barcelona ?

Raiola has many clients in PSG. Maxwell, our vice sporting director is a Raiola boy (he kinda works for him for some obscure stuff). It is not at all surprising to see him with some PSG top figures.

Anyway, i will not spend more time trying to convince you that i think de Ligt will go to Barcelona and not to PSG. It is my personal conviction that he will go 100 % to Barcelona. Thus, i'm not invested in his saga.

I'm not painting any picture about de Jong : just revisit your very own forums, your own reactions and the one of your fellow Barça fans at the time.
The father of de Jong himself at the time said he would prefer Barcelona but it was to see if the financial side would be covered. De Jong himself says Barcelona has followed him since a long time and that they have their financial situation but he is happy they were serious and that getting play time helped him take his decision.

Isn't that obvious to you that 1) he prefers Barcelona over any destination but 2) the financial offer and playing time were decisive factors of his choice ?

Sam Lee that is well informed on City (who was on the mix) and who posted that quotes i took from the 21 or 22 on de Jong thread :
[tw]1088126700666396674[/tw]
[tw]1088126698992947206[/tw]

I really don't get why you are so defensive about money. Yes, Barça players love their money as much as other players in the world. Messi prefers Barcelona but still, you have to cough up his 100 M (number reported with all the signing bonus + his tax penalty paid by Barça) for him to be happy. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Your club makes big money and players are the central actors of the club activity. Seems pretty normal that they ask top dollar without having to be called greedy.

Newcomer

Wtf 16M net, PSG are officially gone mad

If you are quoting Sport with the 15 M€ figure, they have ripped off a guy named Boulma.

He says a lot of stuff but i am still waiting to see anything reliable coming from his tweets. Still, because he says his source are from Qatar directly, people believe him. The guy has 0 reliability.

[tw]1136559146092965889[/tw]

Mbappé doesn't get 15 M net per year. I'm highly doubtful of his information.

The same guy was saying Henrique was confirmed at his position just days before he got ousted for Leonardo. Such an insider !

Last edited:

Arizona Scott

https://www.transfermarkt.com/wettbewerbe/europa

Eredivisie is tied for 7th with Russia in player market value, with Portugal in 6th. (transfermarket). All 3 are relatively close (as is the Championship in England). For ref Ligue 1 is in 5th (like double those 3 behind them), Serie A solidly (big gap from France) 4th, than Bundesliga, than la Liga, than EPL.

However if you dig a little deeper you will find the mid table to lower tier teams in Eredivisie have a lot more talent than the comparable rank squads in Portugal. The average/weak team in the Championship looks also have more resources and better players than comparable ranked teams in Portugal.

I remember this when I was looking at De Jong competition vs Felix's--from week to week De Jongs competition looked better as pretty much everyone except 2.5 teams in Portugal (Porto + the 2 main Lisbon clubs) are low in resources and the bottom half look really poor.

Now this is one metric, but I'll bet club/leagues average or median wage bill (though I can find an easy site) is comparable. Uafa coefficients can be useful in nation rank, but this is more limited because it is based on the performance of the cream of the crop--doesn't speak to mid table and lower tier teams competitiveness.

So I don't have a big contention with the case the Dutch league is 6th best in day in and day out quality in the world, it is close to that (6th-8th) if it isn't. Though Ligue 1 is better (safely 5th though not really that close Bundesiliga or Serie A), let alone the clearly top 2 leagues of EPL or La Liga in one order or the other (not getting in that debate).

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans