Matthijs de Ligt

Zidane82

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Eric Abidal, Barça's technical director, has liked this post on Instagram, which quotes Johan Cruyff's "if a player has second thoughts about playing for Barça, he is no longer of service to us" for the pursuit of De Ligt. <a href="https://t.co/vlJ8AN0mV2">pic.twitter.com/vlJ8AN0mV2</a></p>— barcacentre (@barcacentre) <a href="https://twitter.com/barcacentre/status/1138570976671567873?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 11, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Why are we chasing Griezman again then ??

messi2140

6racies Xavi
I fully understand if a young player doesnt want to join Barca when you have a trash can of a manager , but PSG is not the answer.

Arizona Scott

I wasn't talking about the Madrid matches from this season but the one from last year that finished 2-2 and we played with 10 men for the whole second half after Roberto was sent off. Semedo was subbed in for Coutinho and the dude had to contain RM's left flank on his own and he did great.

And the whole point of what I wrote is not that Semedo is somehow leagues above Bob and he should play all the matches. What I wanted to say is that he has enough quality that the drop off from Bob is minimal at best or nonexistent and depending on match-ups like the one against Liverpool, Semedo was actually more suited to start. First match against Liverpool, Bob was nowhere to be seen and as soon as Semedo was subbed in Mane's influence on the game dropped. What does he do in the return leg? He plays with Bob in the first 11 again. What was the reason for starting Bob again when Stevie Wonder could tell you that it's a bad decision? It was a brain dead decision based on what can only be explained by favoritism.

Another point was that I want to see fairness in his decisions. Ok, Semedo was atrocious in the first game against Real Madrid this spring. Fine, he was rightly substituted by Bob who had a great match. No complaints here. Why the fuck wasn't the same decision taken against Bob for the return leg against Liverpool? This is Valverde failing to keep "some" players accountable for their shit showings while the less favored ones are treated with a different measure.

Anyway, I'm not even that high on De Ligt right now since I believe that Pique is still better than him. I just hope that if we get him and Pique has his usual poor showings and business trips, Valverde won't keep pushing him in the first team 24/7, and will give De Ligt a run of 3 or 4 games at least, even if he falters here and there. Pique needs to see that he's not untouchable and can focus on his business ventures every time he wants. The only player that earned the right to be untouchable is Messi. Every other guy should be benched if their form is poor. That creates healthy competition and prevents complacency and suffice to say, we are the fucking champions at complacency.

I don't have much contention with anything you said there. My guess is if two players are about equal he will usually go for experience. I did have a problem with many of Valverde's rotations and sheet selections, but I just think it is the lesser of the issues (his ability to motivate and build a team coherence). I don't think whether we started Bob vs Semedo, or whichever combo among --Rakitic vs Busi vs Arthur or Arturo, are really the decisive elements to last seasons cup failures and the kind of elements most critical to being better next year in those critical moments. The stark contrast of a team concept and strategy and the individual players focus, intensity, motivation and conditioning could never be more sharp that what we say vs Liverpool's Klopp. And he did it with guys like Origi, Milner, Matip and Shaqiri in key roles, who are not Barca level talents.

I also agree with De Ligt. I think it is far more important to get another athletic and dynamic weapon like AG or Pogba or Neymar, or one of Atletico's midfielders, than spend 90 mil on a CB. (Neymar would be my last choice of the 3).

Arizona Scott

nobody wants to play with valverde and rakitic. i dont blame him for having second thoughts

How about Busi, Roberto, or Coutinho?

Pretty bizarre to single out one player who i have not heard any complaints about from teammates.

Valverde def could be a negative factor, but when your choice is to come to Barca and play with Messi or not even such a mediocre to poor coach is not that a big deal. Unless it is Klopp or Pep, not sure any manager has that much pull because at any point in one years time they could be fired or go for a promotion. Maybe Zidane does to French player, but I don't think he has the charisma or strategic record of Klopp/Pep.

George_Costanza

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Eric Abidal, Barça's technical director, has liked this post on Instagram, which quotes Johan Cruyff's "if a player has second thoughts about playing for Barça, he is no longer of service to us" for the pursuit of De Ligt. <a href="https://t.co/vlJ8AN0mV2">pic.twitter.com/vlJ8AN0mV2</a></p>— barcacentre (@barcacentre) <a href="https://twitter.com/barcacentre/status/1138570976671567873?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 11, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tumblr_inline_o6mhniYGOr1u4jzm8_540.gif

Centauri B

it seems players are realizing that this fraud, cuck of a manager will carry on playing his favourite seniors regardless of form or rest. this trend will probably continue until Fraudverde is gone

thankfully we already got De Jong or we'd probably miss out on him also

anyways, summer of 2022, get ready for 'De Ligt wants to leave PSG' while we waste the entire summer chasing him :lol:

De LIgt is going to PSG for the money. Nothing else.

fergus90

I've never really made much comment on De Ligt in the past but in my honest opinion, he isn't necessary right now. Certainly not at the prices being suggested anyway. Barca have bigger trouble than needing another starter worthy centre back (Umtiti's injury of course is a concern). I will say however, that it is quite clear to players coming in that Valverde has a preferred core he relies on time and time again, regardless of form. So you can appreciate that a player who at 19 is used to captaining his and playing every game plus is an International doesn't want to hinder his progress by limiting his game time.

De Jong is a great signing, we have him in the bag however our front line now needs upgrading. It would also be good to see players like Alena,Wague, Ruiz, Puig and Perez given some chances rather than buying more Denis,Turans,Gomes and Aleix Vidals that don't work and inevitably get shipped on again the next summer. Playing the academy of course continues Barca's tradition and it's also a lot cheaper than blowing it on mediocre players.

Tackle

Di Marzio says PSG offered De Ligt 10 Million+Bonuses in wages while we offered around 7.5 Million.

De Jong has a 10m fixed salary + 6m in possible bonuses.

Like I've maintained all along De Ligt only wants the same wages as De Jong, nothing ridiculous like 16m net.

Our biased fanbase will try and spin it as though De Jong came here because he's a fan of the club while De Ligt went to PSG for the money when the truth is PSG would have both lads if we had not caved to Frenkie's wage demands at the last minute.

De Jong will be lauded as a great Barca fan that bleeds Blaugrana while on 10m per year, while De Ligt will be called a filthy mercenary for asking for the same amount.

Last edited:

fergus90

De Jong has a 10m fixed salary + 6m in possible bonuses.

Like I've maintained all along De Ligt only wants the same wages as De Jong, nothing ridiculous like 16m net.

Our biased fanbase will try and spin it as though De Jong came here because he's a fan of the club while De Ligt went to PSG for the money when the truth is PSG would have both lads if we had not caved to Frenkie's wage demands at the last minute.

De Jong will be lauded as a great Barca fan that bleeds Blaugrana while on 10m per year, while De Ligt will be called a filthy mercenary for asking for the same amount.

I think De Jong is a Barca fan, but ultimately footballers are human and the possibility of earning more money elsewhere for doing the same job is tempting for anyone. Barca had to up their offer and rightly so, it'd be arrogant to just use ' we are Barca' for a reason for someone to turn down more money to be at the club. Anyway, it's not like PSG are Huddersfield Town, they are a huge club who have great players so it's gonna tempt any player.

I personally wouldn't begrudge De Ligt going to PSG as I can't honestly see Valverde dropping Pique or Lenglet for him.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Di Marzio says PSG offered De Ligt 10 Million+Bonuses in wages while we offered around 7.5 Million.

Money talks. Choosing PSG over 2.5m a year right now shows how short-sighted De Ligt is. He chose money and playing time over us, it is his loss.

I am not too pissed about him going to PSG at all. I would be quite pissed if he went to say Real Madrid, Bayern or Liverpool etc., but not PSG. I don't think PSG is a serious opponent, not yet at least.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I dislike Valverde as much as any of you but the talk of him choosing PSG over us was because he realized how bad Valverde is and somehow shifted the blame on us, is just ludicrous.

De Ligt is not well versed in everything Barca as much as we are, not at all. He might have some reservations about Valverde but he doesn't know about all the ills of Valverde. De Ligt is not a fool, he knows Valverde will not be here forever. He is choosing money and playing time over us, with or without Valverde, period. Ultimately he cares about money, that's why he hired Raiola in the first place; and he is concerned about playing time (legitimately) but I can also spin it that he is afraid of competition.

I am just a little disappointed about the decision he made. He is a great talent but he is just a CB. We can find good CBs elsewhere.

Home of Barca Fans