Matthijs de Ligt

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
There's no diminished pull, just a limited amount of money we can spend, unlike PSG and City who don't play by normal spending / earnings rules. We have a budget we need to stay in with our spendings. Their budget is whatever money they need. They just sign a new sponsorship contract with QTA, and voila, the money appear in their accounts like magic, as payment for some sort of laughable promotional deals everybody with a brain knows they're full of shit.

yet city's record transfer is Mahrez @ 60m pounds post neymar transfer...
PSG, United and us Inflated the market more than city have.

Last edited:

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
Did you have a look at their net spending? It's huge.

How does that inflate the market exactly? they bought at much more reasonable prices then what we are seeing currently. A higher number of lower value transfers isn't going to cause the type of inflation we see today.

The inflation is due to the EPL deal, PSG, United, Barca

As for net spend they spent so much because they had to rebuild an entire squad in a couple of seasons rather then gradually replacing their players.

Having said that in previous years (before the hyper inflation pre-2015) they did cause some inflation but nothing to this level. eg 20m players going for 28m and just bought badly.

Last edited:

Donatello

Fair enough. So seems like another pretty decent piece of evidence hinting at Barca’s diminished pull. If players and their agents consistently hike prices up with club negotiators, then they don’t really seem bothered about joining this QUALITY SQUAD(!) in the first place. Pity.

Come on guys, pull your finger out and get the other lad.

There's definitely a diminished pull, but its more of because there are other options which can provide you the same platform elsewhere, with much less risk/competition and much more money. On the top of it, you fight for the same trophies with a squad good enough to beat the elites on their day.

Earlier that wasn't the case, most clubs didn't have the financial muscle, nor the squad, nor the global exposure, that they have now. That resulted in the elites benefiting from it.

Even Mbappe snubbed Madrid for PSG, Gabriel Jesus chose City, that's not a jibe, it just shows how the balance has shifted.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I think Real Madrid and us still enjoy a special pull ahead of other clubs for non-German players but that pull has indeed been greatly diminished and dwindled in the last several years. The rise of City and PSG in sheer monetary power, together with the resurgence of English clubs, Atletico and Juventus have made other clubs very appealing both from a financial and sporting perspective.

Gone are those days that we enjoyed an absolute upper hand on those players being pursued by us.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
Laporte is their record signing, and he was 2nd most expensive defender at history when he was signed

Mahrez is currently their record Signing @ 60M, Laporte cost them 57m (his buy out clause) Both transfers were after the hyperinflation of the Neymar deal. Its not hard breaking transfer records post Neymar deal.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
It seems that this is about currency change.
KDB deal was agreed with Euros, that number was 75M euros which right now is 68M in pounds
While Mahrez deal was in pounds (two English clubs) so the deal was worth more in pounds, less in Euros.

When a transfer agreement is agreed it's usually agreed upon that the money will paid in the currency rate at the date of the agreement.

No wait, I misunderstood your post lol. Yeah, if they agreed to paid in euros they gotta pay the 75m even if it costs them more later.

El Gato

Villarato!
Isn't that what agents are supposed to do for their clients? If there are more options, he'll go to the club which offers the most. All it means is that De Ligt doesn't like Barca enough to lower his demands. And that the club's not willing to meet them. Don't know where you see snubbing.

Like I said, fair enough, maybe not snubbing. Somewhat uncanny to see player after player you target either get their transfer delayed, overpriced or go elsewhere though.

Riordon

There are lot of young quality CB out there that will cost half of De Ligt price. For 75m I rather we pay Lucas Hernandez release clause.

75m and 12m for his agent is simply to much.

I wouldn't pay more than 60m for De Ligt.

Last edited:

Alik

True, I would rather spend big bucks on a striker or midfielder. The talent pool for defenders is much deeper.

Home of Barca Fans