Matthijs de Ligt

VN10

If you don't see that Matthijs de Ligt is bound to be a worldclass defender, a potential 10+ year captain candidate and a must buy for Barca, I don't know why you are into Football.

VN10

True, I would rather spend big bucks on a striker or midfielder. The talent pool for defenders is much deeper.

1. Give me a few names who posses similar qualities and talent compared to De Ligt.

2. Name me one defensive talent who has the same or close to the same high quality cocktail of mental, physical and technical attributes.

Let us see, if your comment is actually based on something solid.

Alik

1. Give me a few names who posses similar qualities and talent compared to De Ligt.

2. Name me one defensive talent who has the same or close to the same high quality cocktail of mental, physical and technical attributes.

Let us see, if your comment is actually based on something solid.
1. We don't need to have the most talented CBs in the world. Our best teams were know for strength in midfield and forward.
2. We had one of the best CBs in the world in Umtiti and Lenglet replaced him without being too much of a downgrade.
3. I don't know all the upcoming young talents, but looking at established players gives you an indication. There are far more world-class CBs than strikers or midfielders right now.

gregorrin10

The sad thing is, now that we're getting Todibo for free, that is just as an excuse not to go after a real quality that is De Ligt, then 2 or even 1 year later Todibo will be leaving Barca just like Mina did, and we'll be back on the market, meanwhile De Ligt will be bossing and beasting it out at PSG or somewhere else. I just hope we don't do the same in case of De Jong (the free option being Rabiot).

I hope i am wrong about Todibo and that he'll turn into the next Varane or something, but at this point he seems a transfer, similar to those of Marlon and Mina, the only difference being that Todibo has at least some European experience. But i just hate the fact that we're seemingly letting go of De Ligt, i'll be gutted when he goes somewhere else, here's to hoping we at least get De Jong, but i wouldn't be that confident about that either.

It's like [MENTION=23569]VN10[/MENTION] said, De Ligt is simply too good to miss out on, no matter the price. Liverpool paid 75M for VVD, and he made them instant CL and PL favourites, while in De Ligt's case he offers that many years more, since he's only 19 at this point. And make no mistake, he'll become one of the best defenders in the game, no matter which top club he joins. So whichever club pays that fee for him now, it will seem like a bargain in max. 2 years already.

Joan

1. We don't need to have the most talented CBs in the world. Our best teams were know for strength in midfield and forward.
2. We had one of the best CBs in the world in Umtiti and Lenglet replaced him without being too much of a downgrade.
3. I don't know all the upcoming young talents, but looking at established players gives you an indication. There are far more world-class CBs than strikers or midfielders right now.

:thumbsup:

wisconsincule

Yeah I definitely don’t see us splashing the cash on him. Look at us with Untiti and Lenglet. Both were relatively unknown and have been rock solid for us. Arguably both world class. If Umtiti could get healthy I wouldn’t mind seeing them paired together. Yes they are both left footed but we might already have our CB pair for the future and we don’t know it.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
If you don't see that Matthijs de Ligt is bound to be a worldclass defender, a potential 10+ year captain candidate and a must buy for Barca, I don't know why you are into Football.

We cant keep paying ridiculous prices for players who are 'must buys' for barca. We don't have unlimited money and shouldn't be helping inflate the market.
He isn't going to make much of a difference to us in all honesty. I don't see how you can justify the prices quoted on pure speculation and hype.

Coutinho was Perfect for Barcelona and look at him now...

IF all that wasn't enough we should never deal with super agents like Raiola.

Arizona Scott

It boils down to the player, while being "bound" for greatness is being overconfident. He is by far highest rated of the U21s in the world--though he does not have a lot of experience against world class attackers and opposing teams. Looking forward to seeing the Ajax pair vs Real. Leave it to club evaluators to tell the chance he is the nest generational CB like Ferdinand, Pique or Van Dyke, or a standard good professional CB where they may be cheaper alternatives.

mesiesta

I agree, it's better to invest money on midfield and attack. In few years our current team will be very old and we need fresh air there - with De Jong (hopefully), Coutinho, Arthur, Dembele and hopefully Puig we have some quality players for the future, but we need more investments for sure.

D10S_JC

It's sure his wage demand is negotiable. No club would pay the insane wage for a 19 years old player.

But his price tag is reasonable in current market considering his age and talent.

khaled_a_d

So if people don't agree with your assessment, you don't know why they are in football? Don't you think that is strong statement for your 1st post in this forum?

Home of Barca Fans