Mavericky Puig

Raketa10

Bro, Xavi is his mentor. Puig grow up spending his time at Xavi's house. His family and Xavi's family are close friends. Xavi asked him to move to Al Sadd last year. Anyway, this is not the subject.

Since you are very sure of your post, could you name the game(s) were Puig performed badly? I'm sure we saw him play well, and maybe few games he was invincible (not sure about that but I will give it to you), but did he have a very bad game? Remember now that we are NOT asking Cowman to make him a starter, just to give him a proper chance.

Now compare him to Busquets, why Busquets plays almost every game when the fact is he underperform, makes a lot of silly mistakes and a loss of concentration leading to conceding goals, can only play as a single pivot, can't partner with FDJ and actually they cancel out each other, very slow etc. the list can go on and on.

Could you answer the above?

I hate such a narrative when you have to name specific games just to prove your point but OK. :lol:

He was actually bad in half of the games he played under Setien. Do you remember the game against Osasuna when we lost in Camp Nou? Or against Valladolid? Or Celta? The only game I can remember he did well from the start was the one against ATM and that's it. Can you give us a few games when he was superb?

Also can you name ONE player in our squad (except Puig) that has problems with Koeman? Have you ever considered a possibility that the lack of playing time is Puig's fault? Maybe he is just a cocky kid that has no discipline and respect. I addition to that he has 56 kilos and apparently has no intention on gaining muscles at all. If he was ready to play he would play.

Many forum members were absolutely furious because Alena couldn't get minutes under Valverde. Unfortunately Valverde was absolutely right on Alena and story with Koeman and Puig will probably end in the same way.

Last edited:

George_Costanza

I hate such a narrative when you have to name specific games just to prove your point but OK. :lol:

He was actually bad in half of the games he played under Setien. Do you remember the game against Osasuna when we lost in Camp Nou? Or against Valladolid? Or Celta? The only game I can remember he did well from the start was the one against ATM and that's it. Can you give us a few games when he was superb?

Also can you name ONE player in our squad (except Puig) that has problems with Koeman? Have you ever considered a possibility that the lack of playing time is Puig's fault? Maybe he is just a cocky kid that has no discipline and respect. I addition to that he has 56 kilos and apparently has no intention on gaining muscles at all. If he was ready to play he would play.

Many forum members were absolutely furious because Alena couldn't get minutes under Valverde. Unfortunately Valverde was absolutely right on Alena and story with Koeman and Puig will probably end in the same way.

I remember Osasuna game, the whole team was chit, why do you single Puig who wasn't the worst player on the pitch? Actually he was the only one who was trying. ESPN gave him a 6 just like Messi (no one got above 6, and many got below 6) This is the match player's rating: https://www.espn.com/soccer/barcelo...to-osasuna-and-surrender-title-to-real-madrid

With Valladolid he got second highest rating after Messi. It seems like it's fashionable or trend nowadays to just bash players for no reasons.

JamDav1982

His two best games have definitely been Atletico/away to Vallodolid and speed he moved ball in comparison to likes of Arthur.

Joan

That's what OP said: "I doubt he knows him well. Xavi can see things only through TV like we all can."
Reading comprehension, you said.
Now, can you tell me the purpose of training? Isn't it to be prepared for the matches?
To prepare for the matches. But still lots happen in training and Xavi working in Qatar probably sees none of it. As OP argued. Despite knowing Puig's pa's shoe number.

JamDav1982

Alaves away he was good too, youngest player since Thiago in 2011 to wreck up two assists in one game.

Thats right it was Alaves away I meant when go two assits not the Vallodolid game.

Away to Vallodolid he was not that great really from what remember and was bullied off ball quite a few times.

vegitot

Xavi never says something like " In my team, Puig is a starter". But Font said something like Xavi told him so though we don't know if it is true or not.

Consider that Xavi never work with Puig so we don't know what Xavi will think of him. Koeman also said he believed in players like Puig when he first joined here. But after 3 friendly matches, he dropped Puig.

JohnN

Despite his good ( my opinion ) displays in the games he played, the sample size is too small. Koeman does see him every day, so there are things he might not like about him, that we don't know about.
But we should keep the conversation as close to facts as possible.
We don't know his character and attitude in training, so we shouldn't speculate on it, and most importantly, we shouldn't take media rumours at face value. I say that because I see many people recycling these rumors, as If they know for sure their credibility, just to justify koeman's decision to not play Puig.
Keep in mind that most users don't have any expectations for Puig to play every single match or even every other match. Some second half chances or even some rare starts in easy games would be enough.
Having that context in mind, I think Koeman has been mistreating Puig. Except If the kid is a real dick in training, which I can't know right now.

JamDav1982

He played well vs Atletico and Alaves and moved it quickly but some of his other performances have been average/poor but folk seem to purr over a simple pass.

The game vs Vallodolid is an example. He was poor/ineffective for majority time he was on the pitch and some folk were still highlighting as a good game. Everyone is a bit guilty of that when like a player though to be fair.

Watch below. There is nothing impressive there. Had a few shots and a lot of sideways/backwards passes.

In that game he only had 36 passes, had worst pass accuracy in team bar an injured/awful Griezmann, most poor touches in team, no key passes, least tackles/interceptions of any midfielder. Taken off after 54 minutes.

That game is held up as one he played well in... he didnt and think it shows sometimes so desperate for him to do well see things that are not there at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5hxU3nw4mI

Last edited:

fergus90

He played well vs Atletico and Alaves and moved it quickly but some of his other performances have been average/poor but folk seem to purr over a simple pass.

The game vs Vallodolid is an example. He was poor/ineffective for majority time he was on the pitch and some folk were still highlighting as a good game. Everyone is a bit guilty of that when like a player though to be fair.

Watch below. There is nothing impressive there. Had a few shots and a lot of sideways/backwards passes.

In that game he only had 36 passes, had worst pass accuracy in team bar an injured/awful Griezmann, most poor touches in team, no key passes, least tackles/interceptions of any midfielder. Taken off after 54 minutes.

That game is held up as one he played well in... he didnt and think it shows sometimes so desperate for him to do well see things that are not there at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5hxU3nw4mI

He was pretty poor vs Valladolid and average way to Celta, but played well vs Atletico, Alaves, Granada(came on and massively contributed to the only goal), Bilbao home and Villareal away. In general he's had a positive impact more than he hasn't in my opinion. Really the sample size is small in terms of competitive appearances.

I think a lot of it boils down to the fact that Barca were massively struggling last season and this season too results wise, despite better play so general feeling of unrest seeing the same usual suspects despite a lot of poor outings.

Ultimately as has been said a 1000 times if a manager doesn't rate you, go out and get yourself games somewhere else whether you feel hard done by or not.

Gnidrologist

If the rumors about Puig being a bad person is true, it's most unfortunate, because he has shown to have the ability to elevate this team, when on the field. I would not criticize Cowman for being angry with him, if all that is true. I dislike cocky kids myself and would put them in dog house in no time. It's painful because he is such an improvement over lot of our weak ass hasbeens or failures and i want to enjoy Barcas play, which Puig has proven to enhance whenever he was playing. Pedri is great, but from what i seen from Puig, he is on the same level sans the questionable attitude problem.
Better solution to Puig's attitude problem, if there is such, would be to groom him better, even if that requires some angry dad methods, but surely no to get rid of him. He's just too talented and has proven his worth on the field even in the small cameos he has received. Good that club renewed his contract.

Birdy

We don't know his character and attitude in training, so we shouldn't speculate on it, and most importantly, we shouldn't take media rumours at face value. I say that because I see many people recycling these rumors, as If they know for sure their credibility, just to justify koeman's decision to not play Puig.

Having that context in mind, I think Koeman has been mistreating Puig. Except If the kid is a real dick in training, which I can't know right now.

In order to judge that he is being mistreated, you need the context of their daily interactions as well, which you say we do not know.
How are you then deriving legitimization to pass that judgment?

IMO, we can only speculate since we do not know what's going on behind closed doors.
The question is which speculation is more likely that the others.
And frankly, the assumption that Koeman just wants to crack some youngster (because he is sadist of some sort) and picked arbitrarily Puig to do that, is way more unlikely than the assumption that some of the rumors are true and Puig is disrespectful/not doing enough in training.

xXKonan

utskNhT.png

Home of Barca Fans