Maxwell

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
We got exposed at the left flank for that 2nd goal but I guess at that time Maxwell was instructed to push forward as much as he can.
Indirectly, last match we also conceded from the left flank when he fouled the Racing player for their penalty.

It would probably serve us good to bring back Abidal to his natural position.

Trequartista

The good
We got exposed at the left flank for that 2nd goal but I guess at that time Maxwell was instructed to push forward as much as he can.
Indirectly, last match we also conceded from the left flank when he fouled the Racing player for their penalty.

It would probably serve us good to bring back Abidal to his natural position.

that was because Keita was playig alone as a defensive midfielder,if it was Busquetes or Badger,they could have covered him,Abidal is first choice,no doubt about that

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
You're officially a tart.

Maxwell was the one that slotted nicely into that LB spot last season when Abidal was out due to an injury and I didn't see you screaming last season or pointing fingers.

Fickle, fickle.

Richard.H

Maxwell was the one that slotted nicely into that LB spot last season when Abidal was out due to an injury and I didn't see you screaming last season or pointing fingers.

Fickle, fickle.

While I definitely agree with you, I'd still take Abidal on LB over Maxwell. The reason: solely because of defensive purposes. Knowing how vulnerable we are on the counter I rather have Abidal on the left than Maxwell.

dalitis8

Banned

Fickle, fickle.

It seems that for many of you...whoever plays a couple of decent matches is untouchable...Maxwell,irrespective of any of his merits is not good enough as a starter...btw..many of you in here keep calling me names whenever I criticise any of our players(as if they enjoy some kind of diplomatic immunity)...but then have to eat words when reality finally bites...remember the Ibra controversy?

In any case...I will revisit this issue in due time...like with so many others...

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
It seems that for many of you...whoever plays a couple of decent matches is untouchable...Maxwell,irrespective of any of his merits is not good enough as a starter...btw..many of you in here keep calling me names whenever I criticise any of our players(as if they enjoy some kind of diplomatic immunity)...but then have to eat words when reality finally bites...remember the Ibra controversy?

In any case...I will revisit this issue in due time...like with so many others...

Maxwell, first of all, did not have only a "couple" of decent matches but actually quite plenty of those.

I do agree, though, that he might not be a starter, but saying that he's not good enough is a bit over the top.

Oh, stop bringing Ibra up, as it's not his thread. I still remain with my stance that I would have wanted him to do good and prove people wrong had he stayed with us. Yet, since he's not here and not one of our players any longer, it's a moot argument really.

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep

Fickle, fickle.

True he slotted in well, and contributed much to our attack, but he left us exposed at left-back one too many times, to the point where teams would target that right flank in their counter attacks...
He is a technically-gifted player no doubt, which is why I absolutely enjoy watching him with the ball at his feet, however, his lack of defensive awareness cannot be ignored, it seems that as much goals he helps build up, as much he cancels them out when exposing us on the counter...

I agree with those who say Abidal is a more complete LB, he might not be as skillful as Maxwell going forward, but he provides the defensive balance we need especially with Alves on the other side...

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!

Why criticise Maxwell when he's been like one of the most consistent players last season!? Pep himself admitted that he's been the best buy of last summer!!

But I agree that Maxwell shouldn't be a starter for Lb spot, he's not so wise defensively. His best moments for us have been while he's in attack. I stick to my point that Caceres should have stayed with Maxwell confining to rotating with the mid fielders and the left forwards!!

dalitis8

Banned
Why criticise Maxwell when he's been like one of the most consistent players last season!? Pep himself admitted that he's been the best buy of last summer!!

But I agree that Maxwell shouldn't be a starter for Lb spot, he's not so wise defensively. His best moments for us have been while he's in attack. I stick to my point that Caceres should have stayed with Maxwell confining to rotating with the mid fielders and the left forwards!!

:lol: The best buy of last summer....that is a contest nobody wants to win because let us consider last summer's buys:

a)Zlatan-"anti-philosopher"-Ibrahimovich, 47.5m plus Eto'o,outscored(and out played) by our newly promoted left-winger,basically cost us 70m so that our team became slower..

b)Keirrison:nobody in Europe would have him even as a loanee,cost us a more than respectable 14m...

c)Chygrynsky: 25m and being returned for 15m...leaving Barca's coffers a cool 10m emptier...for a player that cost us the CDR and will forever be remembered for his blinding lack of pace...

...well there really is no arguing here...Pep was spot on...Maxwell was indeed the signing of last summer since he cost a miserly 4.5m(compared to all other of our outlays) and has been occasionally somewhat decent...

Barcafan 2304

Yes, he is a good squad player and reliable back-up. Certainly, he has done a job for us. However, the poster above is right in picking out a weakness. Hell, we even saw it against Racing a couple of weeks ago which lead to the penalty incident when Francis tore past him. I'd even say that the first leg of the Arsenal tie in last season's CL was turned when Walcott came on and roasted Maxwell down that side.

Im not dismissing Maxwell and he has done a job for us but it is fair to say his lack of pace, particularly when up against a winger who is quick, is a cause for concern.

IbraFTW

Bazinga!
While I agree he's not the best in defense, I loved his run all the way to the other side of the pitch last night, to cover for someone who was supposed to be there, and blocked a shot that could easily make the score even more embarrassing. And he's Ibra's best friend :D

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Counted his pass for Xavi as a goal although it had little to do with the goal.
Maxwell was solid. A bit better than Adriano on the left.

Home of Barca Fans