Mehdi Benatia

R

Ryu Hayabusa

There was so much hype around this guy the past year or so.

Seems more like a turkey to me.

Stupid posting. He hasn't been phenomenal right from the start, true. But he has proven that he is a capable defender, definitely an improvement over Dante.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I asked some Bayern fans about how Benatia have been for them since joining, this was before the red card btw:

Me:
Wanted an opinion about him from you Bayern fans, so how do you guys think he has been for you so far?

Them:

Pretty good.

Good. He could be better. He showed against Dortmund that he is good with the ball in his feet. I expect his ball playing ability, speed to come handy to allow us to play a much higher line with Boateng.

I still think he is un-refined. He is pacy for a CB but the game is played at a much much higher level than Seria A and he has to adjust to different opposition and to his team(look at him missing Reus' run).

He has all the qualities to form a Brilliant CB Duo with Boateng but I reckon he can get much better. Either in the 2nd half or next season start I think he will get much better as I seriously feel he has the potential to be the best CB in the world.

One more thing, this is 1 area where Boateng has improved, being restrained, no reckless challenges, Benatia does throw hands. Maybe a lenient Seria A allows such physical play but in Pep's sophisticated Bayern, he has to adapt to a more nuanced role.

All in all -> The future looks bright

Solid B so far.

He joined a bit late so I don't think he's fully tactically there. Plus because he joined so late, he wasn't fully fit.

I think though, he's been quite good. When he's on the pitch I feel pretty safe. He also seems to be our best chance of scoring from corners; he's about 6 feet 2 or 3. Also, spirit/work-ethic wise he's great. After he made that mistake that led to Reus scoring, he seemed even more adamant to make up for it and had a great game.

I would wish he were a little less handsy though. Giving away a careless penalty seems inevitable almost.

He's my favorite player at the moment, I really like his dedication and passion when defending, he's always alert and concentrated.

I wish people actually came here and praised players when they do well as well instead of coming out of their holes only when a player does badly. A bit like in the Messi thread and the idiots who said he is like another player now, declined, should sell him and fund other big signings etc. who are AWOL when the little dictator does well(which he does almost every game, so they only come to his thread to BS once in a blue moon)

Not saying Benatia is untouchable or a saint, and I do understand that people are tired of all the overhyping of him during the transfer window, but to write him off whenever he does badly and stay in your hole whenver he does well is quite ridiculous and that's not only limited to him or Messi.

As for criticizing then do so, it's the "he's rubbish, useless, past it, should be sold etc". comments which are strange.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Noone said he was rubbish.
It's that he was overhyped here.

If he is better than Dante remains to be seen.

DrPepper

Noone said he was rubbish.
It's that he was overhyped here.

If he is better than Dante remains to be seen.

Overhyped? He was one of the best defenders last season and 30M for such a player is pretty much a very fair price. Other teams rather pay 20M for a 31 year old (who is doing quite well in all fairness) or 10M+ for someone who might never play. Or David Luiz who was 50M.

As for Dante I find it strange how much he declined after Pep came. Under Heynckes people thought he was better than Boateng and in general one of the best in the world. Maybe because Heynckes didn't play his defensive line as high as Guardiola? Don't know really.

He doesn't fit the barca profile unfortunately , but vermaelen does.

I don't really like this overused phrase. Doesn't fit Barca? He plays for a team that actually is the better Barca atm and has the best Barca manager in history.

Bertus

I don't really like this overused phrase. Doesn't fit Barca? He plays for a team that actually is the better Barca atm and has the best Barca manager in history.
Go easy on him. He was being sarcastic and was making fun of those fools that kept saying Benatia doesn't fit Barca.

Alarcón

Getting a red card doesn't mean anything.

http://fr.soccerway.com/players/david-luiz-moreira-marinho/16580/

David Luiz got 0 red card in his career apparently and everyone will agree that he's average.

TS also got a silly red card because he grabbed a referee by the shirt. Oh my, TS must be the worst CB ever.

Grabbing a ref's shirt doesn't say anything about his defensive skills though...

As for Dante I find it strange how much he declined after Pep came. Under Heynckes people thought he was better than Boateng and in general one of the best in the world. Maybe because Heynckes didn't play his defensive line as high as Guardiola? Don't know really.

Of course Heynckes didn't play such a high line so the defense in general looked better. But Dante has never impressed me very much, he also made silly mistakes under Heynckes, e.g. in the CL final. And Boateng has actually improved dramatically since Pep took over.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans