Memphis Depay

Porque

Tad out of form right now, off the pace. More so a comment on his previous two games than today.

But perhaps he can be the Adama of the left side if he stays next season rather than 9 backup (where we could make use of Luuk for now).

ajnotkeith

Tad out of form right now, off the pace. More so a comment on his previous two games than today.

But perhaps he can be the Adama of the left side if he stays next season rather than 9 backup (where we could make use of Luuk for now).
Needs to get in better shape. Muscular and all but not a football player. It's making him slow. He doesn't need to be that big and compromise speed and agility.

He used to be faster when he was lighter earlier in his career.

Last edited:

Porque

Yeah, but I don't think a physical change will change the way he plays, make him that more agile or quicker in his actions.

Agreed he doesn't look at his peak physically since the injury. Was in better condition at the start of the season.

ajnotkeith

Yeah, but I don't think a physical change will change the way he plays, make him that more agile or quicker in his actions.

Agreed he doesn't look at his peak physically since the injury. Was in better condition at the start of the season.
I disagree, I think it has a really big impact on forward playstyle especially.

Unless you are a genetic freak like Adama being very heavy limits your ability to play wide effectively. You lack that quickness.

Depay is built like a CF but gravitates more towards the wing so it's a strange physique that contributes to him playing in that inside half role that he does.

Porque

I disagree, I think it has a really big impact on forward playstyle especially.

Unless you are a genetic freak like Adama being very heavy limits your ability to play wide effectively. You lack that quickness.

Depay is built like a CF but gravitates more towards the wing so it's a strange physique that contributes to him playing in that inside half role that he does.

I guess what I am saying is that I don't think Depay changing his physique will change his existing game as it doesn't look like he would amend his style to take advantage of it.

Getting back to full fitness and I think he is still an asset, Lyon played fast and had inferior versions of Auba and Dembele last year and Depay was extremely good.

But yeah, it is frustrating that Depay could be so much more with some tweaks and work here and there. Maybe Xavi could bring it out of him?

behindbrowneyes

Don't think CF suits him under Xavi. LW still his best position imo. Hard to judge him from yesterday's game though as whole team was already in pass-them-to-death - mode with little effort to go for more goals.

ajnotkeith

I guess what I am saying is that I don't think Depay changing his physique will change his existing game as it doesn't look like he would amend his style to take advantage of it.

Getting back to full fitness and I think he is still an asset, Lyon played fast and had inferior versions of Auba and Dembele last year and Depay was extremely good.

But yeah, it is frustrating that Depay could be so much more with some tweaks and work here and there. Maybe Xavi could bring it out of him?

Xavi has been great with the forwards. He gives them very specific roles and has clearly improved their movement vastly.

Considering this, Memphis does have something world-class about him : chance creation. Although he sees himself as a goalscorer and protagonist, his numbers in chance creation are incredible. He nearly led Europe last season in chance creation metrics. What if Xavi could develop his role based on this?

If Xavi could teach him to play for the team and support the CF from the LW role, he can be very useful. Just as he has focused Adama and Dembele in chance creation and limited their greediness. Utilising Memphis's main strength in fashioning chances for others, and removing that greediness/lost ball proneness that infuriates people could make him valuable.

I am sure he'll find minutes anyway. Sometimes Ferran will not be the right one for the game and the tactics and Memphis will.

Side note - Memphis at United had a top speed of nearly 34km. Hard to imagine him going that fast now.

JamDav1982

Xavis tactics need consistency that Depay doesnt have to get best out of him particualrly in comparison to players now in squad.

Depay can fuck up 3/4 passes/touches in a row then fire one in top corner from 20 yds but that isnt what team needs in this system.

Sell him on for 20m odd and appreciate what he has done this season and been good move for all.

Co0ter

He's like your fat uncle, who likes to participate in footy match with young lads once in a while. Good for Sunday league.

I don't see him as fat at all. The guy is built and muscular, like Adama. Although I think both of them could lose some upper body weight, would make them quicker off the mark.

Home of Barca Fans