Memphis Depay

JohnN

Think he will be at his best from CF with pace around him.

The Barca front line lacked pace and too often after first 20 mins were on the half way line as Sociedad realised no real threat in behind.

Allowed Sociedad to play high and pressure the midfield and defence into passing back to Neto for a 'long pass' up to front three which rarely came off.

Barca struggled to get ball up park from midfield after first 20 odd minutes when Sociedad changed it and pushed up. Busquets was so slow he couldnt often enough get into space to take ball from defence and on rare occasion got ball tight to play it through he shat the bed and tries to initiate contact slowing game down.

Depay CF, more pace to threaten teams away from such a high line and better passing through midfield or teams wont find it all that difficult to counter Barcas approach.

I missed the game. Was Depay Good?
About what you say, maybe Dembele (provided he stays healthy for a day or two) or Fati provide us with that pace. If teams realize we are no threat they will push us to the point busquets will implode. He needs to stay on the bench against good teams.

SmilerBam

United Depay and Lyon-Current Depay are two different players now but it's still funny seeing how salty some United fans get when it comes to Depay still.

I remember a United that I'm friends with being stoked buying Depay, and he was hoping he would end up being the new "CR7" for them but it never happened. Some bitched that he was too slow and top-heavy and he had trouble beating his full-back in the EPL and some thought he was some egotistical jackass who thought too highly of himself.

But he has shown with his move to Lyon that he worked his ass off to improve and show people that he deserves a second shot with a big club. Preseason and today's match has shown me a lot of encouraging stuff that he can help fill the giant hole that Messi left behind. A very tidy player with the ball who has plenty of flair as well.

He'll not fill any hole left by Messi. Not even remotely in the same class. In other news, his debut was encouraging. Maybe he'll be one of our bright spots today.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

He'll not fill ny hole.Not even remotely in the same class. In other news, his debut was encouraging. Mybe he'll be one of our bright spots today.

'Help' fill the hole left by Messi is very different from fill the hole left by Messi.. but you know that and love to make up lies about what other folk are claiming as if he is 'next Messi' or a superstar.

Standard.

Porque

It is early days, but he can lead the line for the Barcelona style very well. A bit like how Firmino did for Liverpool when he was in his prime. You can see why Koeman wanted him in that position with Ansu and Messi feeding off of him last year.

It was actually a breath of fresh air to see yesterday that we could send a ball to Depay and Braithwaite, have them contest the ball and hold it up, then feed it to the oncoming attackers and midfielders.

Very unBarcelona-esque, but an efficient way to give another route of attack. I liked it.

SmilerBam

'Help' fill the hole left by Messi is very different from fill the hole left by Messi.. but you know that and love to make up lies about what other folk are claiming as if he is 'next Messi' or a superstar.

Standard.

Maybe he will help, but he has will have no one to combine upfront. Griezmann is more of a cardio buff, Braithwaite is Braithwaite(even with the goals yesterday), and Aguero will spend more time in the hospital than on the field. Let's hope Ansu will recover well and fulfill his promise.

malvolio

I missed the game. Was Depay Good?
About what you say, maybe Dembele (provided he stays healthy for a day or two) or Fati provide us with that pace. If teams realize we are no threat they will push us to the point busquets will implode. He needs to stay on the bench against good teams.

he was good. not outstanding, a bit like a discount neymar/messi. at least he seems like a guy who knows what he's doing, unlike his partners in attack.

ajnotkeith

Unironically reminds me of a really discount CR7. Can play wing/striker, strong enough to be a target man and fast enough to be winger with that mix of power and speed. Amazing at penalties, tough player and arrogant. Lol

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Unironically reminds me of a really discount CR7. Can play wing/striker, strong enough to be a target man and fast enough to be winger with that mix of power and speed. Amazing at penalties, tough player and arrogant. Lol

He will definitely help us, personally the best signing with de jong of the last years.

Messigician

Guys stop calling him discount whatever.

He is fluent in English and reads football forums, he said he was disappointed at how United fans didn't support him.

So let's show some support and be grateful he came here for free and reduced his wages

BerkeleyBernie

And there's obviously a reason he was the one to take that free kick. Put it right on Pique's head.

Redbuck

Guys stop calling him discount whatever.

He is fluent in English and reads football forums, he said he was disappointed at how United fans didn't support him.

So let's show some support and be grateful he came here for free and reduced his wages

I agree that Memphis is fluent in English, but how do you know that he reads football forums ? Did you hear him say so in any of his interviews or this is just another of your fake news again ?

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
I agree that Memphis is fluent in English, but how do you know that he reads football forums ? Did you hear him say so in any of his interviews or you got it out of the blues ?

Pretty sure there are players out there that can’t refrain from looking themselves up and see what people say about them. Hollywood stars have admitted so about imdb forums. Football players also get asked if they do so and general answer is they have done so at some point. And if a barca player decides to do it you don’t think they would come across this forum?

Home of Barca Fans