Men’s shortlists for FIFA Ballon d’Or 2013 revealed

MVBarcaFan

I'm not sure why Ribery was hand-picked as the one from Bayern. Robben had better stats that season and he scored the winner in the CL final. Logic would conclude that he should be nominated over Ribery.

Messi has been plagued by injuries practically the entire year. Though he seemed to be in fine form in the beginning of 2013, he has taken a dip by his own high standards.

I would love for Ibra to win it, but it's a long shot. I think CR7 will finally get his second Ballon D'Or. He's been in fine form throughout the year (even though he lacks the trophies to show for it).

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Ribery is a real try-hard. I don't know what he wants to achieve with his Ballon D'Or talk, it's not like it seems attractive for the voters. He also said recently that if Bayern win against Dortmund next week-end, that will mean the title goes to Bayern. Might even be true, but that is some big talk.

Funny how he doesn't mention Messi in that article, just CR. I guess that will help him cry about FIFA corruption and bribing of the votes once Messi wins it again and he finishes third. Can't wait to see his reaction then. Would be the best trolling if he doesn't even make it to the final 3.

I'm not sure why Ribery was hand-picked as the one from Bayern. Robben had better stats that season and he scored the winner in the CL final. Logic would conclude that he should be nominated over Ribery.
They picked him because he is the one Bayern and the Bayern-related press started to campaign for. Considering that the fewest votes Messi ever got since 2009 was 23% (which is also the highest amount of votes Ronaldo ever got), Bayern need one franchise player that is (or could be made) a well-known superstar in the whole world (not just Europe), if they wa nt their players to win it. Neither of the other players have the profile to do it as much as Ribery. Plus, since even Ronaldo doesn't come anywhere close to Messi, you probably need your candidate to be as narcisstic as Ribery has shown to be in his quotes - neither Schweinsteiger nor Robben nor Lahm would do that. Unfortunately for them, the chances are very low. It would be a fantastic, truly fantastic result if Ribery got 20% of the votes - which is more than Iniesta and Xavi ever managed. That won't happen though considering there are several other Bayern players to steal his votes (Robben, Schwein, Lahm). But even if he was the only one, his celebrity factor isn't big enough to compete with CR and Messi.

Realistically, it's between Messi and Ronaldo. There has always been a margin of 20% between them. That could be reduced due to Messi's injuries, but I don't know if Ronaldo has done enough to attract so many votes away from him. Voting ends tomorrow, so even if he qualifies for the WC and Messi is out for the rest of the year, that won't play a role in voting.

Last edited:

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
I don't know about Real but we sure were interested in signing him... as a replacement for the colossal Thierry Henry of the 08-09 season.

besides, he didn't sound very bad in this quote... He just mentioned he had his best season ever and was lucky enough to show the trophies for it, tbh not very self-centred about it. On the other hand, his previous statements were pig-like

Real Madrid were more than interested in signing him. Only Calderon's stupid deal blocked it.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
So obviously a Bayern player should win it. But then, Ronaldo should have won in 2012, and Sneijder should have won in 2010. But it'll go to Messi so why do we even bother having a shortlist? This award is a joke.

pEllee

So obviously a Bayern player should win it. But then, Ronaldo should have won in 2012, and Sneijder should have won in 2010. But it'll go to Messi so why do we even bother having a shortlist? This award is a joke.

Nope.

And yes, the award is indeed a joke. Messi's awards were fully deserved though.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

Why should the award go to a Bayern player? Should the award been given to a Chelsea player in 2012?

Chainsaw

Killahead
Why should the award go to a Bayern player? Should the award been given to a Chelsea player in 2012?

The award should go to a player that he says apparently. In that case the award won't be a joke, but it is now since the best player in the world wins it every year.

Yeah what a joke!

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Of course not, Chelsea were nothing but defensive on the way to the CL win. A CL win alone isn't enough, Chelsea were pretty lame other than that, I mean hell we finished 6th in the EPL. Bayern won the treble this year while absolutely dismantling Barca like no other team ever has on the way to winning the CL, they have just been amazing this year, but I don't think they'll have a player to win it because they don't have a real global superstar like Messi or Ronaldo. Reputations count for too much with these awards.

There's more than just individual brilliance to winning an award, it's team achievements too, hence why 2010 and 2012 should have not gone to Messi. I agree 2011 was his, though, but his superstar status wins him awards he doesn't totally deserve. Being the best player in the world is one thing, but if you don't have the team achievements to back up your play you don't deserve awards, what good is playing so excellent if you don't help your team to trophies? I'll say this, he deserves it more this year than in '10 or '12, though this half of the current season Ronaldo has been MUCH better as well as his awesome performances to get Portugal into the WC. It's hard to pick between the two, but they are the only realistic chances to win. I'd rather Ronaldo winning more on the basis that he didn't get his award last year, but Barca won the league so that'll help Messi probably win it again.

Home of Barca Fans