Mesut Ozil

I know his best position is in mid field, the trequartista, just behind the striker... But we don't have that. In our current system he would do well playing as wide forward. Yes he does get tired very early but I never said he would be a great starter for us. He would be a damn good impact sub. Had he come here earlier we could easily have used him as one, giving him more playing time as a starter now & then. Also, he would have been the perfect player had we decided to tweak our tactics a bit and adopt to playing 2 holding mid fielders. Cesc is very good for that anyway, but Ozil would have been evven better
I can see us playing with a trequartista perhaps as early as next year as I think Neymar will eventually follow Messi and move to the center, so we'll have to shift from a 4-1-2-2-1 to a 4-1-2-1-2, although a 4-2-2-2 with a double pivot is also a possibility. That being said, I don't think Ozil would've been a better trequartista than Fab; but it would take too much to elaborate.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I can see us playing with a trequartista perhaps as early as next year as I think Neymar will eventually follow Messi and move to the center, so we'll have to shift from a 4-1-2-2-1 to a 4-1-2-1-2, although a 4-2-2-2 with a double pivot is also a possibility. That being said, I don't think Ozil would've been a better trequartista than Fab; but it would take too much to elaborate.
Ozil has better dribbling ability than Fabregas... More pace... etc. which make him a better trequartista than Fabgregas. Also, IMO Ozil would probably fare better than Fabregas when playing against a tight defense. I think that Ozil would be somebody who would be formed by adding pace and dribbling ability to Fabregas. But his fitness ability is ape shit

Ozil has better dribbling ability than Fabregas... More pace... etc. which make him a better trequartista than Fabgregas. Also, IMO Ozil would probably fare better than Fabregas when playing against a tight defense. I think that Ozil would be somebody who would be formed by adding pace and dribbling ability to Fabregas. But his fitness ability is ape shit
I would say that for most teams, that is teams that have a trequartista play behind a traditional CF: Ozil>Fab.The abilities you mentioned are what gives Ozil an edge over Fab, because most CF don't have them and Ozil does a better job providing them.

As a trequartista in a 4-1-2-1-2 playing behind Messi-Neymar , the equation is different, because you already have 2 players who have more pace and dribbling ability than either Ozil or Fab.

So when it comes to our system – passing range, workrate, and vertical runs are much more relevant to a Barca trequartista because you're expected to act as a CM and distribute play when you have possession, press when it's lost and act as a quasi-CF who can score inside the box whenever Messi or Neymar drifts to the flank or plays more deeply. And that's why Fab is a better fit for Barca.

Last edited:
P

Patty2720

anybody know how many goals he has been directly involved in since joining Arsenal?

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
As a trequartista in a 4-1-2-1-2 playing behind Messi-Neymar , the equation is different, because you already have 2 players who have more pace and dribbling ability than either Ozil or Fab.
I would prefer the 4-2-1-1-2 formation though...

---------------------------------Keeper
----Montoya--------Bartra--------------------------new CB---------Alba
-----------------------Busi----------------------Song
-------------------Cesc/Iniesta
-----------------------------------------Trequartista
---------------Messi---------------------------------Neymar

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
063217mq5rwu3ikzr500zg.gif

063306u7x2hx2cfkijkeb0.gif

I would prefer the 4-2-1-1-2 formation though...

---------------------------------Keeper
----Montoya--------Bartra--------------------------new CB---------Alba
-----------------------Busi----------------------Song
-------------------Cesc/Iniesta
-----------------------------------------Trequartista
---------------Messi---------------------------------Neymar
That's another debate, but yeah a 4-2-1-1-2 or a 4-2-2-2 would be ideal for away CL games against the big guns.

One change that I would make however, would be to play Busi/Masch as our pivot. Masch is arguably our best DM, defensively speaking, and he certainly has more pace and is a better tackler than Busi which along with his excellent reading of the game and experience as a CB makes him better suited to cover our ass during a counter attack; arguably our biggest weakness along with set pieces.

The flip side is that Song would be better from an offensive standpoint. But not only do I think that the benefit of being less vulnerable over the counter far outweigh the cost of Masch's inferior offensive contribution, there's another reason why Masch would be better tactically than Song. In a Busi-Song pivot, Busi is the main DM and Song would be the freer of the 2; but in a Busi-Masch pivot, the roles are reversed which means that he can play as a DM/CM and act as our distributor. In a 4-2-2-2, this would allow us to make the tactic of trying to neutralize Xavi useless (since Busi can just take over as our second distributor); and in a 4-2-1-1-2 it would leave our possession capabilities virtually unaffected or at least less weakened than if Busquets was given less freedom.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Busi would flip dead when he looks to his left and finds Song, not Xabi playing by his side. If Xabi is a brilliant square in a round hole next to Busi, Song is an awful trapezoid.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
That's another debate, but yeah a 4-2-1-1-2 or a 4-2-2-2 would be ideal for away CL games against the big guns.

One change that I would make however, would be to play Busi/Masch as our pivot. Masch is arguably our best DM, defensively speaking, and he certainly has more pace and is a better tackler than Busi which along with his excellent reading of the game and experience as a CB makes him better suited to cover our ass during a counter attack; arguably our biggest weakness along with set pieces.

The flip side is that Song would be better from an offensive standpoint. But not only do I think that the benefit of being less vulnerable over the counter far outweigh the cost of Masch's inferior offensive contribution, there's another reason why Masch would be better tactically than Song. In a Busi-Song pivot, Busi is the main DM and Song would be the freer of the 2; but in a Busi-Masch pivot, the roles are reversed which means that he can play as a DM/CM and act as our distributor. In a 4-2-2-2, this would allow us to make the tactic of trying to neutralize Xavi useless (since Busi can just take over as our second distributor); and in a 4-2-1-1-2 it would leave our possession capabilities virtually unaffected or at least less weakened than if Busquets was given less freedom.
I agree with most of it, except the last two lines... that's coz I m a noob and cant comprehend those lines :p

Busi would flip dead when he looks to his left and finds Song, not Xabi playing by his side. If Xabi is a brilliant square in a round hole next to Busi, Song is an awful trapezoid.
Xabi Alonso is definitely the most over-rated player in the WC winning Spain squad

Home of Barca Fans