Nelson Semedo

BBZ8800

Look man, I am not against many of your posts against Pep (or against living in the past)
But Pep legacy in the club has more or less dies during Lucho era, what was remaining was the PR marketing stunts of Barca DNA, the club has moved forward although in some positions we retained the requirements that was there uring Barca pep (CB can play highline and pass, GK can pass) but truth is we had those qualities inside the club since the man in your avatar took over.
Our midfield today had one short player , same as attack, same as defense. That is really not a shortcoming in terms of physicality specially when you consider that two of those are the GOAT and one of the best LB in the world and a club legend

Under Rijkaard:
LB Bronckhorst 178 cm
RB Oleguer 187 cm
Cb Puyol 178 cm
Cb Marquez 184 cm

Cdm Edmilson 186 cm
Cm Deco 174 cm
Cm Van Bommel 187 cm

Lw Ronaldinho 181 cm
Cf Etoo 180 cm
Rw Guily/Messi short

Compare this to Pep's Barca or to Pep's city from tonight:
Sterling 170 cm
Bernardo 173 cm
Gabriel Jesus 175 cm
David Silva 173 cm

Barca were never as tall as German teams, but we had a decent amount of height from time to time, especially under Van Gaal in 90s and Rijkaard in early 00s.
Then Pep killed all tall players and went ultra-short.
It created a success in that era, but hasn't worked since then, neither for Barca or Pep.

Now compare Barcas from Van Gaal and Rijkaard with possible next seasons Barca:
Short Cou, short Griezz, short Messi, short Arthur. These will be 4 out of 6 attacking players (attack+midfield).

We don't need to go into extremes and have either short or tall players.
Some balance is needed.

But it is clear (imo) that we are still under the influence of Pep's Barca.
Look back at 1999, under Van Gaal, we had tons of different weapons how to score.
Now, remember how our current La Liga goals look like: we wither pass around the box or Messi does some wonder.
How often do you see long ranged shots, or goals after corners or headers after crosses?
Now, let's remember how we used to play long before Pep:

And NO, I am not saying that we should cross all the time.
But when you can score BOTH with feet and head, the opponents won't leave their flanks open, like today.
And when they have to cover flanks, you will have more space around the box.

With playing one dimensional football, we are FORCING the opponents to park the bus around the box and leave the flanks open, since all they need to is to stop our shortpassing game around the box.

Pep raised our shortpassing game to a perfection, which was good.
But he also killed our other attacking options like longshots, headers after corners (due to short players), headers after crosses (due to short players) etc.
This is a part which I don't like about his "legacy".

Short midfielders who are often outplayed by physical teams in a CL.
And short attackers who are easily neutralized in 2018, by any decent stronger european team.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Man City didn't lose because they had short players unless Laporte, Otamendi, Walker, De Bruyne, Fernandinho and Sane are all midgets now.

6/10 outfield players.

khaled_a_d

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION]
We currently have 2 CB that are taller than those of Rijkaard
Under Rijkaard the starters in our best season were
VV (shorter than MATS)
Puyol (Shorter than Umtiti)
Marquez(shorter than Pique by some distance)
Gio (taller than Alba)
Oleguer (taller than Semedo & Roberto,although going into the season Belleti who is shorter was supposed to be starting RB)
Edmilson (shorter than Busquets)
Xavi (as tall as Iniesta and shorter than Coutinho, he was the starter not MVB who became a starter only due to injury and left next summer)
Deco: Shorter than Rakitic
Messi : same player
Eto: Shorter than Suarez
R10: taller than Dembele, same height as Paulinho who was starting before

So in starting XI, we have one same player, one player who are same height if you counted Iniesta as starter not Coutinho, and 6 players who are taller in current squad , 3 player under Rijkaard squad.
I am not going into hypothetical situation, we are talking the game that ended few hours ago.

We haven't been playing or trying to play Pep's football since 2014, his influence over the club was only based on some remaining player (Iniesta.Messi,Pique and Busquets) whom he helped significantly and his legacy. But inside the club there is no evidence of club looking for short players

Nothanks

the only guy who fans here bash the manager for not playing him enough but also gets bashed for being overplayed

everyone has an excuse for this guy.

Out of all 4 Roma goals, the header was the most indefensible goal.

Semedo only had a split second to shadow Manolas and then bump/push him in the back to avoid the goal which could have led to a penalty any ways.

look at the other 3 goals Roma scored and then see who the best Barca defender is.

Out of all 4 Roma goals, the header was the most indefensible goal.

Semedo only had a split second to shadow Manolas and then bump/push him in the back to avoid the goal which could have led to a penalty any ways.

look at the other 3 goals Roma scored and then see who the best Barca defender is.
If we put a player on the far post we wouldnt have conceded the goal.. but overall i dont blame the goals on our defence, roma was attacking non stop the whole game, the 3 goals were bound to happen, i blame the midfield for not being able to string together 3 passes, for being dominated by the roma midfield allowing the roma attackers to have all these opportunities

Danic

Everyone complain about his offensive game yesterday should tell with whom he should play. Roberto on his side was almost invisible.
It works way better with Dembele on his side. I agree tho he has to improve anyway.
Apart from that i had the feeling he wasnt at 100% yesterday. He looked a bit tired.

behindbrowneyes

Don't know where this discussion about height comes from. The 3rd goal was a studied corner and Manolas exactly knew where the ball will land. Difficult to defend for Semedo since he was behind Manolas and the corner was taken very accurate.

Barcelona is not out because of this goal but of those other 2 before. They were far more defendable than the 3rd one and none of these two was scored because our team has too many midgets. Umtiti and Piqué made individual mistakes and the team has paid for it.

BBZ8800

Man City didn't lose because they had short players unless Laporte, Otamendi, Walker, De Bruyne, Fernandinho and Sane are all midgets now.

6/10 outfield players.

Their all attacking players are midgets as always, under Pep.
Which is limiting your attacking options and you can only play shortpasses around the box or some through balls.

Sane is a taller guy, but is physically as "strong" as our Busquets.

Pep is stubborn:
1. in playing the same tactics for 10 years
2. buying exactly the same player over and over

Last edited:

Windhook

Strangely around this time last year I started to have my doubts about another Portuguese "wonderkid" called Andre Gomes, now Semedo's turn. I had hopes he'll up his level, but apparently this is not happening.

God Serena

Strangely around this time last year I started to have my doubts about another Portuguese "wonderkid" called Andre Gomes, now Semedo's turn. I had hopes he'll up his level, but apparently this is not happening.

It was only this time last year that you started having doubts about Gomes? :lol:

Home of Barca Fans