Neymar Jr.

Maradona37

True, Neymar is an absolute genius of a footballer, he's just a bit of a knob of a man. He achieved a lot but he could have achieved much more. A player of his quality should really be a World Cup winner (though not really his fault he isn't as he was injured when Germany hammered Brazil, but he could have done more in other tournaments).

I just feel football had a player who could have been an all-time great. I think it was Temptation who earlier in this thread said he is a top 20 talent of all-time (might have been someone else). That's something I would be tempted to agree with - the guy was brilliant and it's a shame he didn't do more in his career. Like I say going to PSG was career suicide (not hindsight as I thought so at the time). I miss watching Neymar at his best in the Barca days. The dribbling, the cute passing, the link up with other top players.

Will we see a similar talent in the coming generation? People are talking a lot about Endrick, we will have to see. Vini is a brilliant player but not on Neymar's level in terms of talent - he will arguably achieve more, though.

companyofcules

True, Neymar is an absolute genius of a footballer, he's just a bit of a knob of a man. He achieved a lot but he could have achieved much more. A player of his quality should really be a World Cup winner (though not really his fault he isn't as he was injured when Germany hammered Brazil, but he could have done more in other tournaments).

I just feel football had a player who could have been an all-time great. I think it was Temptation who earlier in this thread said he is a top 20 talent of all-time (might have been someone else). That's something I would be tempted to agree with - the guy was brilliant and it's a shame he didn't do more in his career. Like I say going to PSG was career suicide (not hindsight as I thought so at the time). I miss watching Neymar at his best in the Barca days. The dribbling, the cute passing, the link up with other top players.

Will we see a similar talent in the coming generation? People are talking a lot about Endrick, we will have to see. Vini is a brilliant player but not on Neymar's level in terms of talent - he will arguably achieve more, though.
Brazil spawns Neymars but due to their lack in physical or mental department they mostly end up at the dumpster. Neymar had no chance to be better than Messi(and that was his delusion) but had the chance to be the best winger in history. He was indeed in the agile department the most talented ever.

But the only two heavy duty ballers that were gods of ball control and dribling with natural strong bodies had nothing to do with African gene pool but a combination of Spanish, Italian and Native American gene pool.
So it seems the next one to complete the top 3 all time will probably be another Argentine.
This idea that Neymar was something crazy made him fail. Compared to his African relatives he was absolutely amazing, agile, fast, nimble on the ball, and he could drible better than Ronaldinho. But competition with Messi is impossible if you aren't Maradona and even for Maradona I will have doubts.

Maradona37

Brazil spawns Neymars but due to their lack in physical or mental department they mostly end up at the dumpster. Neymar had no chance to be better than Messi(and that was his delusion) but had the chance to be the best winger in history. He was indeed in the agile department the most talented ever.

But the only two heavy duty ballers that were gods of ball control and dribling with natural strong bodies had nothing to do with African gene pool but a combination of Spanish, Italian and Native American gene pool.
So it seems the next one to complete the top 3 all time will probably be another Argentine.
This idea that Neymar was something crazy made him fail. Compared to his African relatives he was absolutely amazing, agile, fast, nimble on the ball, and he could drible better than Ronaldinho. But competition with Messi is impossible if you aren't Maradona and even for Maradona I will have doubts.
True, I never said he was as good as Maradona or Messi, because they're a lot better. I am saying he's arguably a top 20 talent of all time. I think that's fair.

companyofcules

True, I never said he was as good as Maradona or Messi, because they're a lot better. I am saying he's arguably a top 20 talent of all time. I think that's fair.play a different type of football he is nr1, second Ronaldinho, third probably Romario who was clearly more native american but Pele was the best being very efficient.
I we conflate the two types of players and talents he is in top 5 all time. His talent spanned many fields of technicality

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Aside from his footballing qualities, he did work fairly hard on that left wing for us. Also managed to show his leadership qualities (Clasico and PSG matches).

Had he stayed I am sure he would have had better career but he took the dollar bait. Fair to say he did have problems with injuries as well.

Home of Barca Fans