Neymar Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

serghei

You just confuse talent with form. Of course other players had better years than Neymar recently, but in form hes as good as any of them.

No. You guys confuse talent with performances. The best players in the world are those who play the biggest games and are decisive in them. Not the ones who could be decisive if they played them but didn't and haven't, because of x, y or z.

How you perform in a period of 2 years decides who is the best. The argument with Neymar is what he does in Ligue 1 and some good performances in the CL group stages. It's a bit silly considering other players did way more in the bigger better leagues and in the Champions League, not to mention the World Cup in the respective time-frame. Why do you think Neymar was 12 or so in the last Ballon d'Or ranking?

Last edited:

Newcomer

Arsenal basically took the best forwards Ligue 1 had to offer in recent years except for Mbappe. Tells you everything you want to know about the strenght of the Premier League vs Ligue 1.

Sure, Neymar's level is superior to many players. But some select players have played better football than Neymar in recent years though.

You see to evaluate players based on what they can do on their best day. I evaluate players based on what they do. Performances vs potential. Neymar has the talent to be the best player in the world. This doesn't mean that he is or he will be. As of now, he doesn't break the top 5 players of the last 2 years. Messi, Ronaldo and a bunch of players from City and Liverpool have been better than Neymar.

The last 2 years he has played less than half the games.

It is not that his performances were subpar. I consider that when he was playing, he was second only to Messi. But i can't qualify his seasons as great because they were too short.

You are not comparing the performances of players because your whole argument is Ligue 1 is shit = Neymar performances are worthless. You even dare to sneak in Arsenal lmao.

You have to be blind or biased not to see how great Neymar has performed when not injured. And i don't consider his last two games as great but he was decisive with two important and beautiful goals due to his sheer talent.

Lutece FC

No. You guys confuse talent and with performances. The best players in the world are those who play the biggest games and are decisive in them. Not the ones who could be decisive if they played them but didn't and haven't.

Every time Neymar plays, he is very good, best player of his team and best pleyer of the match. Even in Champions League vs Napoli and Liverpool, two teams he dominated.
You just not follow his matches. Then, you can blame him on his 2 injuries in February ... For his performances, he is always good, very good, or excellent.

mc_lovin

No. You guys confuse talent and with performances. The best players in the world are those who play the biggest games and are decisive in them. Not the ones who could be decisive if they played them but didn't and haven't, because of x, y or z.

How you perform in a period of 2 years decides who is the best. The argument with Neymar is what he does in Ligue 1 and some good performances in the CL group stages. It's a bit silly considering other players did way more in the bigger better leagues and in the Champions League, not to mention the World Cup.

The thing is he didnt perform badly, he was just injured. If you want to stick to an absurd definition of "best players" thats your opinion. For me its who are the best players going into a match. If Liverpool played PSG tomorrow, Neymar would be at least one of the 3 best players - potentially the best.

Edit: that discussion sucks :D

Newcomer

Oh no, we're going round and round. CL group games are one thing, CL quarters, semis and final is a totally different thing.

I promise you that if PSG play a CL final with Neymar shining against the big boys I will change my stance. Keep him fresh, stop him from partying too much, and maybe we can see what happens. If he can be again in the circle of the best players in Europe or not.
Ah so Messi has not played a CL final in quite a long time.
I guess Salah or Origi are better than Messi now.

The flaw of your logic is you are saying that if u put current Messi with his usual level of performances at PSG and he gets injured before the knockout rounds, we are allowed to say that he is no longer the best player in the world.
Messi is Messi. And Neymar is Neymar. Liga, PL, or Ligue 1, you just need to watch them to judge and aknowledge their superior talent.

serghei

The last 2 years he has played less than half the games.

It is not that his performances were subpar. I consider that when he was playing, he was second only to Messi. But i can't qualify his seasons as great because they were too short.

You are not comparing the performances of players because your whole argument is Ligue 1 is shit = Neymar performances are worthless. You even dare to sneak in Arsenal lmao.

You have to be blind or biased not to see how great Neymar has performed when not injured. And i don't consider his last two games as great but he was decisive with two important and beautiful goals due to his sheer talent.

Ligue 1 is a lower level league. It is easier to be great there. So, for Neymar to be a top 3-5 player again, he needs to show up big time in the CL. He was on the field when PSG lost 1-3 to Madrid. Didn't have a great game. Had many solo actions where he would dribble too much until he lost the game.

He needs to stay fit for the big games, and lead his team in the CL.

Nobody said he is not a great player. You guys are pushing it though to have him right at the top at the expense of more deserving players at this moment in time. He has to show on the field he is better than the current elite performing players.

serghei

Ah so Messi has not played a CL final in quite a long time.
I guess Salah or Origi are better than Messi now.

The flaw of your logic is you are saying that if u put current Messi with his usual level of performances at PSG and he gets injured before the knockout rounds, we are allowed to say that he is no longer the best player in the world.
Messi is Messi. And Neymar is Neymar. Liga, PL, or Ligue 1, you just need to watch them to judge and aknowledge their superior talent.

Messi doesn't play in the 5th best league. He plays in the league that was the strongest in 4 of the last 5 years. And Messi just scored a double, including a golazo in the CL semis of last year.

Let's not compare Neymar with Messi in the last 2 years. And Ligue 1 with La Liga. Atletico and Real Madrid are not Lille and Lyon. We got 1 point from 2 games vs newly promoted sides, while getting outplayed. PSG smash the likes of Dijon 5-0 or so regularly.

Newcomer

Anyway, i thank Neymar for his utmost professionalism. He wanted to leave, he was booed by his own fans but he is showing he will do his best for the team.

mc_lovin

What you are talking about is more about legacy. Ability wise theres always room to discuss, but at worst hes top 5-10. Even playing in ligue 1.

KingLeo10

Lmao, the season Messi had even with EV in 18/19 is what Neydive can only dream of.

Newcomer quickly turning into prime Jair Ventura.

serghei

The thing is he didnt perform badly, he was just injured. If you want to stick to an absurd definition of "best players" thats your opinion. For me its who are the best players going into a match. If Liverpool played PSG tomorrow, Neymar would be at least one of the 3 best players - potentially the best.

Edit: that discussion sucks :D

If Liverpool played PSG tomorrow in a CL tie, PSG would be sent packing, and both Salah and Mane would be more decisive than Neymar.

DAMNit

Ligue 1 is a lower level league. It is easier to be great there. So, for Neymar to be a top 3-5 player again, he needs to show up big time in the CL. He was on the field when PSG lost 1-3 to Madrid. Didn't have a great game. Had many solo actions where he would dribble too much until he lost the game.

He needs to stay fit for the big games, and lead his team in the CL.

Nobody said he is not a great player. You guys are pushing it though to have him right at the top at the expense of more deserving players at this moment in time. He has to show on the field he is better than the current elite performing players.

He was also on the pitch when they beat Liverpool and Napoli.
Need i remind you that he was the single most influential player in the game against Liverpool. Heck he was absolutely unplayable in that game and made Livepool look ordinary.
The same Liverpool that embarrassed and massacred Barca.
Barca also struggled against Lyon in the first leg.
The lower league argument is just hilarious and lacks any form of vaidity
Lyon has once eliminated Real Madrid
Monaco destroyed Man City some years ago.... Prompting Man City to attempt signing half of their squad.
I could go on, but I don't see the need arguing over a ridiculous claim. And yes, I am a Barca supporter first.

Newcomer

Messi doesn't play in the 5th best league. He plays in the league that was the strongest in 4 of the last 5 years. And Messi just scored a double, including a golazo in the CL semis of last year.

Let's not compare Neymar with Messi in the last 2 years. And Ligue 1 with La Liga. Atletico and Real Madrid are not Lille and Lyon.
Yeah yeah. Keep your rambling about the leagues. You are just showing you don't watch Neymar play to talk like that. And Messi could play in Portugal and it would still be easy to see he is out of this world. If you need validation by ranking the league, it means you can't trust your eyes and your judgment or that you are not watching simply. And we had this discussion already and you admitted you weren't watching Neymar,PSG, or Ligue 1. So how do you know he has regressed ? By judging he has not played the few games you would have watched like the CL knockouts...

Your logic is flawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans