Neymar Jr.

Donatello

I think what Pique said meant what happened this summer. I mean, they were willing to cut their wages but still the move didn't materialize.

I don't think it indicated any future move.

And now that he's injured again, I doubt it even more.

Newcomer

I think what Pique said meant what happened this summer. I mean, they were willing to cut their wages but still the move didn't materialize.

Pique didn't even mean a pay cut but deferring the payment. I'm not even sure he is not talking out of his ass and that is possible for FPF. If that was the case, it could/would lead to some dodgy stuff.

Otherwise, i'm sure Neymar and Barça will try again next year.

CatalinR10

Pique didn't even mean a pay cut but deferring the payment. I'm not even sure he is not talking out of his ass and that is possible for FPF. If that was the case, it could/would lead to some dodgy stuff.

Otherwise, i'm sure Neymar and Barça will try again next year.

Can't you just double his salary and tempt him to stay there for good ?

Messigician

" the door is open"

messi2140

6racies Xavi
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Piqué: "We told Bartomeu that if we had to defer payments in our contracts to adjust to rules of the financial fair play for Neymar we would do it."</p>— barcacentre (@barcacentre) <a href="https://twitter.com/barcacentre/status/1189690245790482434?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 30, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Doesn't get more pathetic than that.

Newcomer

Can't you just double his salary and tempt him to stay there for good ?

People like to think the likes of Neymar only think about money but they are ambitious players. Money is important but they know they'll get paid wherever they go. Thus, it is very complicated to renew (or for other teams to convince them) because you need to offer them the whole package. Neymar obviously miss his life in Barcelona (and his friends), reason why only Barça could grab his attention.

In my opinion, there is no chance he would renew his contract at PSG. Not because he hates us or something but because he felt happier in Catalonia and he wants to go back to where he was happier. I don't think another team has a chance to sign him at all.

malvolio

no sane person would cut his wages other than for himself or maybe some family member. pique was surely talking about some other form of payment or contract so that they bypass the FFP.

Newcomer

So ambition is the motivation for a guy to go from Barca to PSG? Really? What happened to his ambitions in 2 short years? Done already?

What about it ? He left Barça for PSG thinking things would go better for him on a personal level and on a club level. Unfortunately he has been heavily injured and had trouble in his personal life. And his teammates couldn't handle their opponents in CL without him.

You are speaking as if in life you have never made a choice you thought was the best at the time and, later on, you think you might have done things differently in hindsight.
It is clear Neymar is a weird guy. The guy lives and goes everyhere with a dozen of guys. He can't even enjoy Paris intra-muros as he lives in the suburb to have a very big house. So, i can see how he could be depressed and wants his life in Barcelona back.

Newcomer

no sane person would cut his wages other than for himself or maybe some family member. pique was surely talking about some other form of payment or contract so that they bypass the FFP.

He wasn't talking about any pay cut but to defer the payment. Still, it shouldn't work with FFP.

El Guaje

What about it ? He left Barça for PSG thinking things would go better for him on a personal level and on a club level. Unfortunately he has been heavily injured and had trouble in his personal life. And his teammates couldn't handle their opponents in CL without him.

You are speaking as if in life you have never made a choice you thought was the best at the time and, later on, you think you might have done things differently in hindsight.
It is clear Neymar is a weird guy. The guy lives and goes everyhere with a dozen of guys. He can't even enjoy Paris intra-muros as he lives in the suburb to have a very big house. So, i can see how he could be depressed and wants his life in Barcelona back.

Even a retarded donkey knows that going from Barca to PSG and Ligue 1 is a few steps down. He wanted to be the main man and earn lots of $$.
Oh well.. atleast he has realized he made a huge misstake and he simply has to live with it. He wasted 2 years of his career by being so dumb.

Judoman

If you are ambitious footballer you don t make a step down club vise and league vise. You do it for the money. There is nothing wrong with that, but let s not make an unicorn out of a donkey.
Example was CR. He went from United to Madrid. At that time United was possibly a stronger club, but we can t deny that Real is a bigger organisation. Also La liga is at least on pair with Premier league and his brand
went up at least one level if not more. That s ambition. What Neymar did was not ambition, but i understand how a PSG fan would want to believe that.

Newcomer

If you are ambitious footballer you don t make a step down club vise and league vise. You do it for the money. There is nothing wrong with that, but let s not make an unicorn out of a donkey.
Example was CR. He went from United to Madrid. At that time United was possibly a stronger club, but we can t deny that Real is a bigger organisation. Also La liga is at least on pair with Premier league and his brand
went up at least one level if not more. That s ambition. What Neymar did was not ambition, but i understand how a PSG fan would want to believe that.

It is ambition but he has failed and now he is dumb because he is trying to run away and go back to the "easy" route. As everyone knows and for the reasons you have pointed out, it is a lot more difficult (to the point it seems impossible) to win a CL with PSG. It is a very big challenge. Even Barça with Messi and lot of talented players has it hard.

Neymar had an "unconventional" path as he debuted in Europe straight in Barça and won everything there is (to the point he had nothing more to win there). He prolly though it would be an easy ride at PSG too and the money was good. Now that he has another experience, he wants to go back to his comfort zone. Usually, players start in lower clubs/leagues in Europe and finish at Barça/Real and feel like they have climbed to the pinnacle of football.

I'm not talking here as a fan of PSG cuz i don't like either Barça or Real. I used to only appreciate Atletico in Spain. I'm just trying to see it from his perspective as a player and human. As a PSG fan, even though i can comprehend his choice, i'll definitely erase him from my memory the moment he jumps ship.

Home of Barca Fans