Neymar - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armando929

I feel a little bad for Neymar because there's obviously talent/flair there and he seems a good teammate for the NT but watching Oscar & Lucas now, you can see how much of a failure it was for Neymar not to have done the same even sooner...It's early still obviously but does not bode well for the WC, IMO

Yeah its not just Neymar, though. Brazil as a team just don't have the quality to win the World Cup. Not right now at least. Especially with the lack of organization defensively. And they don't really have a style at the moment it seems. They just rely on individual brilliance and that alone won't win a big tournament.

Micah

Had an awful game, tried to over do things and made no real contribution. I've rarely seen him have a good game against a solid defensive team, Italy performance was just the on off good one, it should be the other way though, where he should be having the rare bad game.

What exactly is Rosell and Co so interested about this lad. Do the scouts at least follow him in NT games. No where near worth the mad sums being quoted. I'd rather have Hazard for that money, at least he's proven him self in Europe.

Last edited:
Yeah its not just Neymar, though. Brazil as a team just don't have the quality to win the World Cup. Not right now at least. Especially with the lack of organization defensively. And they don't really have a style at the moment it seems. They just rely on individual brilliance and that alone won't win a big tournament.

I don't really watch Brazil, but they have some really good players:
Thiago Silva
Dante (not sure why Luiz is starting over him tbh)
Alves
Marcelo
Oscar
Neymar (he's got potential, at least)
etc

I can see them doing well in the world cup with the players they have, if they're able to play as a team. From what you're saying, I'm guessing that's a big problem for them right now.

Kerrybai

Hulk had too much pace for the tired defenders. Maybe he is best used a sub. Nobody is saying he's the next best thing
And what world class performance NeyGOAT has produced against strong teams to justify calling fans "fickle". I though being fickle was calling a player a flop after one poor performance. NeyGOAT has rarely shone against strong teams

Neymar hasn't but neither have the entire Brazil team in most of their games over the past 18 months, bar a few victories against weaker opposition. NT performances are a poor basis for judging a player. Anyone who watched Messi and Argentina under Diego will know this.

Neymar hasn't but neither have the entire Brazil team in most of their games over the past 18 months, bar a few victories against weaker opposition. NT performances are a poor basis for judging a player. Anyone who watched Messi and Argentina under Diego will know this.

You make a good point, but Messi had already proven himself in a top league when he was playing under Maradona.

I'm not saying Neymar is shit because of this game, but you get my point.

Kerrybai

You make a good point, but Messi had already proven himself in a top league when he was playing under Maradona.

I do get your point and it is very valid. He has not proven himself in a top league yet so buying him is certainly a risk. Messi was of course still playing at a top level for Barca while Argentina were going through their horror patch.

International football is a very volatile proving ground. It's not easy to shine amongst a disorganized team like Brazil when playing against a very strong Russian side under a great manager. If we are to judge Neymar on his NT performances then it reads like this. Good against Italy, poor against Russia. That's not exactly terrible.

Armando929

But even in South Africa 2010, you could still see Messi's brilliance even though he didn't score goals. His ability to open the defense up was crucial in their short run that tournament before they were knocked out by a more polished and organized German side.

Jadentheman

The choice was Neymar's. His career is his to blame, and no one else.
But you can blame his father, who thought he was too young to leave for europe back then.

Well is 19 or 20 years old too young? Blame it mostly on his hype and how global it became. If Neymar was just a star in Brazil and unknown elsewhere then this discussion would be so different.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I do get your point and it is very valid. He has not proven himself in a top league yet so buying him is certainly a risk. Messi was of course still playing at a top level for Barca while Argentina were going through their horror patch.

International football is a very volatile proving ground. It's not easy to shine amongst a disorganized team like Brazil when playing against a very strong Russian side under a great manager. If we are to judge Neymar on his NT performances then it reads like this. Good against Italy, poor against Russia. That's not exactly terrible.

Definitely not, but it's not worth 45 million euros. Only Liverpool, in buying Carroll, ever risked that much money based on nothing but age, hype and some decent performances.

Cule4life

The Culest

Messi wasnt scoring bucketloads of goals for Argentina then like now but he was still playing well as playmaker providing assists and was their best player. Also he proved himself in a top league at a young age plus we didnt pay 45m for him

misterplatin

We are not paying 45m for him to use Barca as his personal testing ground when for the same money we can get Suarez or Kun who are adept in different football styles and lethal finishers which NeyGOAT is not

He is very young so he still has a lot of time to develop into a finish product . The marketing hype and internet has turned him into a football superstar but in reality he is still raw,developing footballer . So he will be an investment for the near future and the opportunity cost associated with Neymar is huge .

His scoring record in Brazil is very good so he is a top finisher nonetheless .Yes, even if in Brazil :p

Kerrybai

But even in South Africa 2010, you could still see Messi's brilliance even though he didn't score goals. His ability to open the defense up was crucial in their short run that tournament before they were knocked out by a more polished and organized German side.

You are right but you could also see some of Neymar's brilliance against Italy but now that's forgotten about and he is bashed once again.

I'm certianly not a Neymar fanboy but if we look at the facts Brazil are very poor. They are a team of individuals with some very young squad members. Neymar has the weight of Brazil on his shoulders and that can't be easy to handle at 21 years old.

Tonight he was poor in a friendly match played in London against a very strong Russian side. It's difficult to really assess the quality of a player in these arbitrary friendlies. Hopefully Brazil will be in full flow come the summer time and we can make a far better judgement of Neymar at the Confederations cup.

Cule4life

The Culest
Definitely not, but it's not worth 45 million euros. Only Liverpool, in buying Carroll, ever risked that much money based on nothing but age, hype and some decent performances.

Man i make and laugh at so many jokes on Carroll and Liverpool. Imagine my horror when we get our personal NeyCarroll

Armando929

You are right but you could also see some of Neymar's brilliance against Italy but now that's forgotten about and he is bashed once again.

I'm certianly not a Neymar fanboy but if we look at the facts Brazil are very poor. They are a team of individuals with some very young squad members. Neymar has the weight of Brazil on his shoulders and that can't be easy to handle at 21 years old.

Tonight he was poor in a friendly match played in London against a very strong Russian side. It's difficult to really assess the quality of a player in these arbitrary friendlies. Hopefully Brazil will be in full flow come the summer time and we can make a far better judgement of Neymar at the Confederations cup.

Thats true. He had some nice moments against Italy. But I think what people are mostly pointing to is Neymar consistently NOT delivering against the really strong sides. He's had some decent performances, but I don't see a 45 million plus player. Especially when the more important needs such as buying a CB and GK are as glaring as they are now.

Making a jump to Barcelona right now is not the best move he could make for his career in the long run, especially at 21 years of age coming from a club where he is pretty much like royalty and he can be the carefree samba boy. Coming to a big club like Barca with the pressure to deliver alongside players like Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, etc along with the club philosophy and strong disciplinary coaches would likely be too much to handle. The pressure he'll have on his shoulders to deliver a World Cup for Brazil will also be HUGE, and that will weigh heavy on his mind as well.

He definitely should move to a club like City, Chelsea, or PSG first. There isn't as much pressure to perform there and he can develop at his own pace and when he wants to make a move at around 24, he'd surely be more mature and the finished product by then and if he truly wants to come to Barca, he'd make it happen and be ready to perform at his best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans