Neymar - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DucdeOrléans

Mauro Boselli was the highest scorer (not only on his team, but in the entire Libertadores) and scored in the final two years ago. Joffre Guerrón was the best player on LDU Quito the year before. How did moves to Europe work out to them?

Now I'm being half serious, Neymar is clearly more talented. He's maybe the most talented 19 year old in the world sure. But emphasis on 19. Comparing him to Denilson is as absurd as comparing him to Ronaldinho - it's possible he will be that good or that bad when all is said and done, but neither of us know that. Realistically he's going to end up somewhere between those two.

The problem is not that he doesn't have potential to be great (he clearly does, he's already an above average football player), the problem is that he's being hyped to absurd levels. People already claiming that he's Pele 2 and the fact that he's constantly surrounded by enablers who make him out to be some sort of God has got to be bad for the ego. He's not the first player to recieve tons of hype like this, but I've never seen such an extreme. The truth is his career trajectory has not been extraordinary, he's in good company but there's a new one of these Brazilian wonderkids every other year, Neymar is further along than most, but so were Robinho and Adriano.

Plus he's going to be expensive. Real fucking expensive, and for a player that Barca doesn't desperately need, the obsession to me seems to be far more about style than substance. As much as a lot of us superficially bash him for the way he carrys himself and his haircut, a lot of his biggest proponents are in love with him for equally shallow reasons, because he carries that swag and stereotypical samba "joga bonito" marketability that makes so many people fall in love with Brazilian football.

Come on!

Mauro Boselli and Joffre Guerrón? Don't know what to say.

The first one is 26 years old and got his debut for Argentina 2 years ago when he was 24 years old. Since that debut he has scored 1 goal in 4 matches. He was nothing special for Boca and got a revival for Estudiantes. But again when that happened he was 5 years older than Neymar is now and never as talented or suited by the worlds top clubs. Come on, you can do better than that.

Joffre who? Never heard about the guy before and I doubt that he showed anything close to Neymar's potential when being 17-19 years old.

A quick look at his Wikipedia page also confirms this.

Aha, you admitted to him being the most talented attacker at the age of 19 right now. That's a sted forward:)

I never compared Neymar to Ronaldinho. If you are referring to my initial post today in this thread I was simply making it clear that we have had a great tradition in terms of having Brazilian legends in the attack and that I hoped Neymar would reach the same heights/similar ones.

Well I have said myself that he is too hyped but that should not be the cause of him being underestimated THAT much like some of you do.

I have never hidden that I disagree with the amount of hype that sorrounds him. I already wrote initially that it was a shame that he had the idiot Pelé to comment on him every week. The latest remarks of him being better than Messi, according to Pelé do not help anything, rather the opposite.

His buyout clause is 50 million euros if I am not wrong. The consensus in the Catalan/Spanish/Brazilia media has lately been that of him staying at Santos until 2014 (where his contract expires) before moving. Apparently the buying club (in this case Barcelona) will pay Santos a symbolic amount.

What is certain is that he will not be sold for anything close to 60 million Punds.

My point still stands. Looking at it talentwise there are not many equal to him if any in his age category.

To try to dismiss him as some here do just for the sake of it is pretty strange. I mean he has hardly been an idiot towards our club in fact rather the opposite. Hyped or not.

But well we are not supposed to agree on everything but some users (you are not included if that was not clear) could nevertheless do themselves a favour or two in not exposing their lack of knowledge about Neymar (his behaviour) or ability/potential. Especially not when they base their view on 2 games and a few youtube highlight videos.

Last edited:

DucdeOrléans

I will reply later tonight La Furia/and others as I am going out. So that's why I will not reply for a while and not because I happened to escape from the discussion.:)

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Come on!

Mauro Boselli and Joffre Guerrón? Don't know what to say.

The first one is 26 years old and got his debut for Argentina 2 years ago when he was 24 years old. Since that debut he has scored 1 goal in 4 matches. He was nothing special for Boca and got a revival for Estudiantes. But again when that happened he was 5 years older than Neymar is now and never as talented or suited by the worlds top clubs. Come on, you can do better than that.

Joffre who? Never heard about the guy before and I doubt that he showed anything close to Neymar's potential when being 17-19 years old.

A quick look at his Wikipedia page also confirms this.

Aha, you admitted to him being the most talented attacker at the age of 19 right now. That's a sted forward:)

I never compared Neymar to Ronaldinho. If you are referring to my initial post today in this thread I was simply making it clear that we have had a great tradition in terms of having Brazilian legends in the attack and that I hoped Neymar would reach the same heights/similar ones.

Well I have said myself that he is too hyped but that should not be the cause of him being underestimated THAT much like some of you do.

I have never hidden that I disagree with the amount of hype that sorrounds him. I already wrote initially that it was a shame that he had the idiot Pelé to comment on him every week. The latest remarks of him being better than Messi, according to Pelé do not help anything, rather the opposite.

His buyout clause is 50 million euros if I am not wrong. The consensus in the Catalan/Spanish/Brazilia media has lately been that of him staying at Santos until 2014 (where his contract expires) before moving. Apparently the buying club (in this case Barcelona) will pay Santos a symbolic amount.

What is certain is that he will not be sold for anything close to 60 million Punds.

My point still stands. Looking at it talentwise there are not many equal to him if any in his age category.

To try to dismiss him as some here do just for the sake of it is pretty strange. I mean he has hardly been an idiot towards our club in fact rather the opposite. Hyped or not.

But well we are not supposed to agree on everything but some users (you are not included if that was not clear) could nevertheless do themselves a favour or two in not exposing their lack of knowledge about Neymar (his behaviour) or ability/potential. Especially not when they base their view on 2 games and a few youtube highlight videos.

No I get it wasn't directed toward me, I just figured I need to give my serious opinion every so often to balance out the :troll:. A lot of the haters are clearly judging him without actually watching him, but I suspect a few people on this forum who think he is Barca's saviour are just as guilty of this. You've clearly done your research on him, as have others on both sides, but it's clear most people who talk about Neymar are feeding off the hype one way or another.

And my point with Boselli and Guerrón wasn't that they = Neymar talent wise, but that being very good on a very good team in the Copa Libertadores doesn't mean you are guaranteed to be able to replicate that form outside of ones comfort zone. Boselli was in his mid 20s at the time and he wasn't every predicted to light the world up, but when you look that good in South America it's worth seeing if you can play in Europe, it looks like he was unable to translate his game over. On the other hand someone like Maxi Moralez seems to have immediately fit in Serie A, but that's the nature of the game - there's an element of unpredictability how a player will react in different contexts.

Guerrón was actually very highly regarded. Not Neymar levels of course, but he was LDU Quito's best player at 22 and looked like he was going to join Valencia and Caicedo among others as great Ecuadorian prospects. Getafe was widely praised for signing him as a bargain. Unfortunately he came to Spain with a serious attitude issue and a sense of entitlement, and was a massive flop. Here's someone who had the talent, but thought he deserved to be an immediate starter without working for it.

Of course being racially abused by Spanish fans probably didn't help...

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
So I am hearing this correct.

Santos will sell the perceived best talent in Brazil to Barca at a symbolic price :rofl1:

Like they won't want to make a huge profit on Neymar :lol:

Robbie

His hair by next season:

Rufio-and-Peter-hook-1936624-366-242.gif

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
however good he is he will be a galactico signing as we dont another forward player................but he will be at barca as rossel would not let this oppurtunity pass to make some mula from his nike connections.

BarcaNamul

a better forward line would be.........suarez....messi....sanchez and it would be much cheaper and be better
Hmm i dont think so.It will be a great play between Messsi and Neymar.His style is like ours.I am thinking that after Messi,Neymar will rule the world of football.Just my opinion.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans