Oriol Romeu (loaned to Girona)

Yaya

What does playing him much have to do with Barcelona buying him back? Wasn't that the whole point of this sale?

Chelsea developing Barcelona's player and than Barcelona gets him back on cheap.

Last edited:

zanela

@BB,

Some Chelsea fans have been quite critical of him. They 've questioned his positioning and reading of the game. Acc to them, he is too slow and his positioning, the worst they 've seen for a DM. what's your take on it?

If i'm honest, I do think he needs to improve on the timing of his tackles and positioning, both of which were noticeable against Sevilla last year, and the youth games i've seen of him.

Yugi

yep, just noticed it
people are saying he played out of position and is slow.... doesnt seem to me from this video tbh

Butaan4barca

not everyone thats goes out is going to come back...the question is do we really need him already having busi and macherano ??? he won't come back to warm the bench ...

bombayblue™

Fourteen and Hutch..
@BB,

Some Chelsea fans have been quite critical of him. They 've questioned his positioning and reading of the game. Acc to them, he is too slow and his positioning, the worst they 've seen for a DM. what's your take on it?

If i'm honest, I do think he needs to improve on the timing of his tackles and positioning, both of which were noticeable against Sevilla last year, and the youth games i've seen of him.

Of the 3 forums I am on, he was amongst the majority's 3 best players of the match. I don't visit Cfc-net(biggest Chelsea forum) as it is full with tools and people have contra opinions just for standing out and being noticed.

He has been caught out with the ball a couple of times and given the ball away with a sloppy pass in our own half. Both times he ran back and won the ball back, not with a rash I-have-to-win-the-ball-back way that you would normally associate with a player from the premier league.

He isn't Chelsea 2nd choice worthy yet let alone be Barcelona 2nd choice worthy behind Busquets and any sane fan wouldn't say otherwise. But in 2 years time he will be and may be even 1st choice worthy. What has fans going ga ga over him is the potential he displays that is there to be tapped and his evolving and adapting nature to the premier league pace and physicality. He is ready to learn and mingles really well with the squad even with his shy nature.

To put it simply he is much better than Mikel was at 20, even with JM's defensive team setup that was more conducive to Mikel's role.

Last edited:

bombayblue™

Fourteen and Hutch..
Romeu, the new Makelele: Chelsea have their very own slice of Barcelona

Watch Oriol Romeu effortlessly pop the ball around the Stamford Bridge pitch for the evening and it is not hard to see why Barcelona insisted on a buy-back clause when they sold their midfielder to Chelsea in the summer.

In a transfer window which delivered A-lister Juan Mata, the already established Raul Meireles and Didier Drogba wannabe Romelu Lukaku, Chelsea fans might have overlooked the fact that Andre Villas-Boas also signed the 20-year-old.

They will not forget him now, after the Spaniard excelled in his second start for the club, producing a pretty good impression of former Chelsea favourite Claude Makelele.

You can tell that Romeu has come from Barcelona. Every pass is simple, finds its man and is delivered with minimum fuss.

His favourite trick is to pass the ball quickly back to the man who has just passed to him before moving into space again. He is oozing tikitaka, Barcelona's one-touch style of play.

Romeu wanted the ball all night, regularly dropping deep to receive possession before stroking yet another intelligent 10- or 15-yard ball to a blue shirt in space.

It was all done with such ease, barely more than a jog needed all night.

Then there is the tackling. Chelsea's No 6 generally handled that role well, rousing a crowd who have long harboured doubts about John Mikel Obi's long-term place in the first XI.

Of course, he will not always have it as easy as it was against a dreadful and passive Genk side. If he gets the chance to go head to head with Joey Barton on Sunday at Loftus Road, we will find out just how good he is.

So why is he not still at Barcelona? Javier Mascherano is the simple answer. His arrival made it almost impossible for Romeu to get into a team already boasting Sergio Busquets and Xavi.

But the buy-back clause of £9million at the end of this season or £13m at the end of next tells you how highly Pep Guardiola rates Romeu.

He does not want another Cesc Fabregas situation. Chelsea need not worry about that for now.

Have they found their new Makelele? If his dreadful shanked shot into row Z in the first half is anything to go by, they most definitely have.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2051162/Oriel-Romeu-new-Claude-Makelele-Chelsea.html

Personally it is a bit of exaggeration but it hits the right chords at most places.

B

barcelonista

@BB,

Some Chelsea fans have been quite critical of him. They 've questioned his positioning and reading of the game. Acc to them, he is too slow and his positioning, the worst they 've seen for a DM.

Well, it's easy to see where they are comming from, isn't it? If Romeu develops into a world class player, he will most certainly come back to Barcelona. If he doesn't, Chelsea won't profit either. Lose-lose situation for Chelsea. I can understand some of their fans showing no sympathy for him right from the beginning.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
Chelsea fans are trying not to get too attached, cause they know he'll be coming home.

B

barcelonista

I think so. Mascherano isn't DM anymore. Romeu will return if everything goes according to the plan.

That's not the only option. Romeu could play CB as well for us. And Keita's going to retire in 2 - 3 years time, too. Busquets can easily be moved further up the pitch. Personally I'm pretty sure he'll be Xavi's natural successor in a few years anyway. So:

Iniesta----------Busquets
---------Romeu----------

could happen as well in the future. Or Pique-Romeu in defense. If he's talented enough, he'll find a place in this team.

rmpcsl

Personally I think when Puyol retires in 2012 or 2013 Masc will replace him at CB permanently and Oriol comes back to compete with Busquets for DM like this:

Pique/Bartra.....Masch/New CB (Thiago Silva/Botia) or Fontas(if he proves he has quality)

........Busq/Oriol

Xavi/Thiago......Iniesta/Cesc

Then in about 4 years Masch could be replaced by Sergi Gomez.

IMO next 2 years signings could close the squad for years.
Out...........In
Puyol.......Oriol
Abi..........??
Villa........??
Pinto.......??

Cause we will have La Masia guys covering all positions (Montoya,Bartra,Sergi,Grimaldo,Samper,Espinoza,Rafinha,Delofeu)

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans