Ousmane Dembélé

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegitot

Still better than a finished 29-year old Coutinho and 30-year old Griezmann.;) Dembele will still be only 27 when his new contract runs out. And if isn't injured for more than one season in these next four years, he will still have value and a number of clubs out there willing to take a chance on him for 30-40M, if we decide to sell him. Still better than letting him go for free and watching him possibly explode elsewhere. And even if he doesn't ever come good, there's no use in letting him go for free, cause even with limited playing time he can still be an asset to us, especially now, when Messi is gone and our attack will actually be fluent and looking to pass the ball to the best positioned player. If we adopt a more counter attacking approach sometimes (i'm guessing Koeman will go that way against stronger teams), he'll fit in even more.

How high are you???

BusiTheKing

This "without Messi he can perform better" shit might be the most nonsense thing i've seen in this forum, we're already seeing how good Griezzzmann is doing free "from the Messidependencia" btw.

Dembele couldn't perform while having the best chance creator in the world next to him for 4 years, mind you the only thing he needed to do to take advantage of Messi was running straight into space (and it took him 4 seasons to figure that), but somehow you expect him to do it now :lol:

Well, with Messi, our style involved intricate fluctuations of tempo and Dembele was never really able to crack the logic of that style, when to put on the break and when to step on the gas. I think this constantly being out of sync, not sure what to do, stifled him a lot.

He clearly thrived in a more direct style in Dortmund. Nobody is saying that he'll reach those heights again but I don't think it's as ludicrous as you make it out to be to say that he'll fit better in this new Barca. Your only variable is Messi's direct contribution via creative ability but Messi had a profound indirect influence on the way that we played.

Barcilliant

He is the most annoying Barca player Ever.
He looks like a complete idiot too. I wish we could get rid of him, Griezmann, Umtiti and Lenglet.

Laplacian

Well, with Messi, our style involved intricate fluctuations of tempo and Dembele was never really able to crack the logic of that style, when to put on the break and when to step on the gas. I think this constantly being out of sync, not sure what to do, stifled him a lot.

He clearly thrived in a more direct style in Dortmund. Nobody is saying that he'll reach those heights again but I don't think it's as ludicrous as you make it out to be to say that he'll fit better in this new Barca. Your only variable is Messi's direct contribution via creative ability but Messi had a profound indirect influence on the way that we played.

His issue wasn't just being isolated in build up play, it was also an issue of technique, composure and decision making. You seriously can't blame the team's "style of play" for Dembele's lack of ability in controlling the ball, right?

Also whenever people cite this supposed "issue" just one word: did we watch completely different teams last season? Under Koeman we were far more removed from Barcelona's style of play than ever, and one notable change is that we heavily depended on fast counters almost every game; and the one person that was almost always at the end of those chances during counterattacks was Ousmane Dembele. Some of you are acting as if Dembele couldn't shine because he's restricted by style of play, when his biggest issue last season was his inability to convert said chances despite getting them literally in every game he was in...

Like just watch his match against PSG. It's as direct, open-ended as possible, Dembele received 6 big major chances, and it was probably his worst game for the year in all aspects of forward play other than running really fast, I suppose.

It's just baffling the amount of excuses you lot come up with to explain his lack of ability.

mc_lovin

His issue wasn't just being isolated in build up play, it was also an issue of technique, composure and decision making. You seriously can't blame the team's "style of play" for Dembele's lack of ability in controlling the ball, right?

In his debut season, when he played RW mostly, he looked sharp for us (technique, composure...). It could very well be that he lost it through injuries, but we mostly played him as a pseudo #9 or LW recently. There's a (small) chance that's the issue for him. He strikes me as players like Messi, Vinicius or Neymar, who just look like terrible fits on the wrong wing (not comparing the quality of these players).

I never thought Dembele was a jack of all trades (LW&RW) despite appearing two-footed. He has a clear preference.

BusiTheKing

Also whenever people cite this supposed "issue" just one word: did we watch completely different teams last season? Under Koeman we were far more removed from Barcelona's style of play than ever, and one notable change is that we heavily depended on fast counters almost every game; and the one person that was almost always at the end of those chances during counterattacks was Ousmane Dembele. Some of you are acting as if Dembele couldn't shine because he's restricted by style of play, when his biggest issue last season was his inability to convert said chances despite getting them literally in every game he was in...

Like just watch his match against PSG. It's as direct, open-ended as possible, Dembele received 6 big major chances, and it was probably his worst game for the year in all aspects of forward play other than running really fast, I suppose.

It's just baffling the amount of excuses you lot come up with to explain his lack of ability.

Yeah calm down a bit mate, there's a difference between a disinterested assessment of what type of player he is and an excuse. You can say he's been shit all day long and i'd agree with you. That doesn't change the fact that as a player, he's more suited to a direct style where there's only one gear, forward. That's not the same as saying that he'll necessarily become a good player for us.

And no, what we showed last season was not direct football by any contemporary standard. I'm sure you can find exceptions but the bulk of performances were iterations of the same temperate, unhurried, restrained build-up play we've seen the past 5 years. And a lot of it had to do with Messi.

wisconsincule

Yes let’s not renew Dembele. Let him go for free and have no money to buy a replacement of his profile…. Amazing business.

If he is renewing for a cut contract you have to do that. If he still sucks it at least gives you a chance to sell him instead of losing him for nothing. No brainer this one for me.

Remember we have no money. Players of Dembele profile cost 40+ million- even more in most cases. You can’t just let him leave for free.

SmilerBam

Yes let?s not renew Dembele. Let him go for free and have no money to buy a replacement of his profile?. Amazing business.

If he is renewing for a cut contract you have to do that. If he still sucks it at least gives you a chance to sell him instead of losing him for nothing. No brainer this one for me.

Remember we have no money. Players of Dembele profile cost 40+ million- even more in most cases. You can?t just let him leave for free.
If he s constantly injured, who ll buy him?

SmilerBam

If we have no money who will we buy?

The things is i don't think Dembele has that much value in this moment. If we renew him, we have to pay him further. And for us to find a buyer, Dembouz has to stay healthy for at least an year and to play decent. Until now, he hasn't shown he is capable of those things.

FinBarcelonafan

The things is i don't think Dembele has that much value in this moment. If we renew him, we have to pay him further. And for us to find a buyer, Dembouz has to stay healthy for at least an year and to play decent. Until now, he hasn't shown he is capable of those things.

Exactly. There's not much re-sale value. We should only keep him if we think he is worth it (the contract itself).

Xaviniesta

I wish we could get rid of him, Griezmann, Umtiti and Lenglet.

Nah

Euq7tyeXAAIOfFp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans