Paul Pogba

i_bleed_blaugrana

There's little doubt that he can adapt or that he's talented but for 100M+ you need to be on a whole other level as a player and be bringing quality to the team that can't possibly be found elsewhere, and I'm sorry but Pogba just isn't that.

What I can expect to happen is that he comes here and shows good qualities from the start, such as his physicality and maybe his dribbling/technique. Over time he'll probably develop a routine/role and start dishing out some reliably good performances and help improve our midfield to make us an even better team. He obviously has the potential to do that. Unfortunately, people will start jumping the gun with crap like "worth every penny" just because he proves to be a good or even great player here.

My reservation is that even if he comes good, it doesn't necessarily have to be a 100M marketing machine in Pogba for us to have a good midfield player that'll eventually go on to succeed. Real got Modric for a little over 35M and he turned out to be one of the best midfielders in Europe for them and definitely one of their most influential players. We got Rakitic for 18M and he is a key component in our treble winning team. Same goes for a lot of high quality midfielders (Thiago with Bayern, Verratti with PSG, etc.). Why is it that ONLY Pogba can be a great midfielder for us and therefore is worth breaking transfer records over? Non-Galactico midfielders can easily turn out to be successful/great transfers.

:cheers:

Once more, these players (Thiago, Verratti, Rakitic, Hazard, Modric etc.) increase their market value as well instead of decreasing from a lofty price tag, making it economically viable from a financial perspective.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Unearthing gems is not easy, you know what you're getting with Pogba, there's something to be said for that.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
There's little doubt that he can adapt or that he's talented but for 100M+ you need to be on a whole other level as a player and be bringing quality to the team that can't possibly be found elsewhere, and I'm sorry but Pogba just isn't that.

What I can expect to happen is that he comes here and shows good qualities from the start, such as his physicality and maybe his dribbling/technique. Over time he'll probably develop a routine/role and start dishing out some reliably good performances and help improve our midfield to make us an even better team. He obviously has the potential to do that. Unfortunately, people will start jumping the gun with crap like "worth every penny" just because he proves to be a good or even great player here.

My reservation is that even if he comes good, it doesn't necessarily have to be a 100M marketing machine in Pogba for us to have a good midfield player that'll eventually go on to succeed. Real got Modric for a little over 35M and he turned out to be one of the best midfielders in Europe for them and definitely one of their most influential players. We got Rakitic for 18M and he is a key component in our treble winning team. Same goes for a lot of high quality midfielders (Thiago with Bayern, Verratti with PSG, etc.). Why is it that ONLY Pogba can be a great midfielder for us and therefore is worth breaking transfer records over? Non-Galactico midfielders can easily turn out to be successful/great transfers.

Well, Rakitic has really been amazing for us. Other 20-30M midfielders can also be found that could fit us. BUT, we need that little extra some players have - we wouldn't be as successful as we have been without Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Busi and Alves - we have been truly blessed. But La Masia isn't really producing these players lately and we need a mix of hard workers and players with that little extra - that little extra Pogba has. Messi won't be around forever unfortunately - if spending almost 100M for a player that can secure our success for the next 10 years or so is necessary, I say why not. I truly believe Pogba might be that player.

NeyMesSis

On his Facebook profile he posted a picture from messi and him and wrote: "The greatest player in the world. There is no one better than Messi." :wub:

I'm not 100% sure if thats really his official account but its followed by the official Juventus account so....

I think everone agrees that Messi is the best player in history.

Nah, older fans tend to lean towards Maradona/Pele and the outdated notion that World Cup is the best competition. Last year's world cup quality wise was absolute shit imo. Spain had a blip in 2010 but World Cup football has been shit for years imo.

Antimadridista1

On his Facebook profile he posted a picture from messi and him and wrote: "The greatest player in the world. There is no one better than Messi." :wub:

I'm not 100% sure if thats really his official account but its followed by the official Juventus account so....

He only has an official account on Twitter.

there were some poll stats, posted somewhere on this forum i think, that disprove the notion that older fans "vote" differently.
Maybe they did a couple years ago, but no more
Messi is 27 and every year that passes will cement him as the goat, he'll go down as the greatest for sure.

there were some poll stats, posted somewhere on this forum i think, that disprove the notion that older fans "vote" differently.
Maybe they did a couple years ago, but no more
Messi is 27 and every year that passes will cement him as the goat, he'll go down as the greatest for sure.

Well atleast the older pundits like on espn always talk about the world cup or whatever.

Alarcón

Non-Galactico midfielders can easily turn out to be successful/great transfers.

Yes. But none of them will ever be as good as Pogba. You can try to sign great players for little money, and hope they'll come good. Or you can sign Pogba and be done with it for 10 years. For every Modric, there is a Henderson. If the club knew of any player who is better than Pogba, and cheaper as well, don't you think they'd sign him this instant? But they don't, and neither do I. There has been a funny and weird trend on this forum of people thinking everything that these expensive players do can be done by players who only cost half as much. Before Neymar signed, people thought Deulofeu was better than him. Before Suárez signed, people wanted Mandzukic instead. That's Liverpool mentality, and we don't want to be Liverpool.

J

Jamie Cal

Well said, m8.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Pogba would also bring another dimension altogether with his physicality into our midfield.

People are always turned off by a big price. Happened with Neymar - The Brazilian YouTube Star

Happened with Suarez - The Biter who played in the overrated PL

Happening with Pogba now - The 21 year old midfielder who is among the best in his age group and has a lot to improve which is only positive

Now there are other options too. Options I like. Players like Gundogan and Kovacic. And they would certainly cost less, but let's not pretend there are not question marks over their possible signings too. There are so on all signings.

Cesc was supposed to have Barca DNA(lulz). We saw how that turned out. Neymar was supposed to not get along with Messi and do well in Europe(saw how that turned out too).

Every signing, no matter how good of a fit he seem to be, has question marks over him. For Gundogan it's whether he'll even be able to get back to his previous level. For Kovacic then he has not played for a club of Barcelona's stature(no disrespect to Inter and their fans, but Inter right now is not what Inter was before).

Pogba has played for the Italian Champions. Is a regular starter. Has played in the Champions League Final. But people have questions about whether he'll fit in totally and his transfer fee and wages(both which can be negotiated down from the 100m thrown around here which are baseless numbers, nothing that suggests that Juve won't accept anything lower than that)

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans