Paul Pogba

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Barcelona has been historically a club with a Galactico approach ,players like Rivaldo,Ronaldo,Romario,Cruyff ,Maradona was same type of signing ,hell even R10 was a sort of Galactico signing .some would argue we had that approach more than RM through the 20 century
And there is nothing wrong in that approach tbh as long as it isn't signing a player for the sake of Galactico but rather a big signing for the team need .

Untrue, not 100 million shopping sprees each summer...The model that had been working was to be cantera-centric while adding pieces from time to time, with the occasional big signing - not every year

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Not 100 million shopping sprees each summer...The model that had been working was to be cantera-centric while adding pieces from time to time, with the occasional big signing - not every year

We won't be signing a marquee player this summer. A deal will be agreed for NEXT summer.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
A CM is the last piece in the puzzle. Neymar was the first, someone to ease the burden off Messi and not to forget him being the top young talent in the World, securing the future as well. Suarez was the next piece, a #9 we needed to completely change the dynamics of our attack, making it dynamic, adaptable and not be completely dependent on Messi to do all the work.

The only thing that remains is a CM. We don't be needing any big signings after that for the forseeable future. We'll have everything set to go.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
It's registering that has to be postponed, signings can/will still happen THIS summer

I like how you copied my format. :lol:

I don't think I said anything to the contrary. A player like Pogba will not agree to sit the season out until January. At least, this is what I believe. As such I think we will strike a contractual agreement to sign the player, but the deal itself will not go through until next year.

DonAK

My sentiments are with @Alarcón on Pogba being the most talented option, certainly over a major question mark like Gündoğan...The problem I see however is how to reconcile acquiring a player of his caliber with both a nutter of an agent like pizza boy & his personality perhaps being an issue for team chemistry

Moreover, I despise this galactico approach the club has been using - this is what many of us hate about football...So while I'm sure Pogba is going to have a great future, I question this formula for success if indeed the club will be course correcting and becoming cantera centered again

I'd prefer a lower key Rakitic type of signing in midfield while incorporating Samper & playing Rafinha more

I don't think his personality will be much of an issue. Behind the crazy hairstyles and celebrations there's a young, humble hardworking player whose team mates in Juventus absolutely love him, especially the older guard.

The Fat Rat might be a problem though, but if joining Barca really was a dream of Pogba as a kid like he said a few years ago, and he really want to be a part of this team then I think he'll be fine.

We have another player with crazy hairstyles and funny celebrations whose Dad's dealings has been similar to The Fat Rat, but without those retarded comments made publicly ofc. His dad wanted to take him to Madrid, but the kid was adamant to join us.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I like how you copied my format. :lol:

One good turn & all

I don't think I said anything to the contrary. A player like Pogba will not agree to sit the season out until January. At least, this is what I believe. As such I think we will strike a contractual agreement to sign the player, but the deal itself will not go through until next year.

Either way, your point is incorrect...The player sitting out 4 months is only one option, a loan back to Juve would be another...Ultimately, however, a deal would need to be made now, even if it's for the player joining the squad next summer...if he were to be acquired, of course

Icarium

Lifestealer
A CM is the last piece in the puzzle. Neymar was the first, someone to ease the burden off Messi and not to forget him being the top young talent in the World, securing the future as well. Suarez was the next piece, a #9 we needed to completely change the dynamics of our attack, making it dynamic, adaptable and not be completely dependent on Messi to do all the work.

The only thing that remains is a CM. We don't be needing any big signings after that for the forseeable future. We'll have everything set to go.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. We might need a CB if bartra doesn't make it. And after 3 years we might need to enter market for world class striker. There is a high chance barca will push marque signings every year from now on. Not a guarantee but we are likely to do it. Next year MC then CB then striker (young and talented like neymar) then another MC it will go on like this. Only thing that could stop a marque singings any season from now is having a good youth product from our system.

Marque signings doesn't need us to spend 100M just means they are star players or wonderkids who every one want.

DonAK

Anyway, whoever is elected in July will be the ones deciding who to sign.

But I have a feeling even old Joan is going to be looking at Paul as a serious option. Maybe they'll try to lower the price by offloading Montoya. They wanted him last summer IIRC.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. We might need a CB if bartra doesn't make it. And after 3 years we might need to enter market for world class striker. There is a high chance barca will push marque signings every year from now on. Not a guarantee but we are likely to do it. Next year MC then CB then striker (young and talented like neymar) then another MC it will go on like this. Only thing that could stop a marque singings any season from now is having a good youth product from our system.

Marque signings doesn't need us to spend 100M just means they are star players or wonderkids who every one want.

There'll be a gap of 2-3 years though, so won't make it every year. :p

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Either way, your point is incorrect...The player sitting out 4 months is only one option, a loan back to Juve would be another...Ultimately, however, a deal would need to be made now, even if it's for the player joining the squad next summer...if he were to be acquired, of course

Actually, for a player to be loaned he must be registered to the club that is loaning him. So we can't "loan" them back.

I think what you are think of is leaving the player at their club until the ban is over, which, I believe, is what I wrote in the post you quoted.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Anyway, whoever is elected in July will be the ones deciding who to sign.

But I have a feeling even old Joan is going to be looking at Paul as a serious option. Maybe they'll try to lower the price by offloading Montoya. They wanted him last summer IIRC.

Definitely agree...Truth is all the candidates are sure to have been trying to work on some pre-deals already, Joan included

Actually, for a player to be loaned he must be registered to the club that is loaning him. So we can't "loan" them back.

I think what you are think of is leaving the player at their club until the ban is over, which, I believe, is what I wrote in the post you quoted.

The point is, the deal/agreement would be done THIS summer, not next, if at all

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
The point is, the deal/agreement would be done THIS summer, not next, if at all

I don't think we're seeing eye to eye here, because what you just wrote, is what I wrote previously. :lol:

I'm specifically referring to us paying for the player. That will probably not happen in its entirety until next summer.

Thus, we won't actually be spending big money this summer, but rather allotting big money for next summer.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
So you're talking about accruals then?....I think you're moving your point from post to post, actually

Money exchanging hands has little to do with an agreement being signed, whether it's this summer or next...Some transfers the money is paid over years rather than immediate, that's a separate issue

You were pointing out in the OP that a deal would be agreed NEXT summer, I corrected you in saying that if a deal is going to be made it will be THIS summer

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
So you're talking about accruals then?....I think you're moving your point from post to post, actually

Money exchanging hands has little to do with an agreement being signed, whether it's this summer or next...Some transfers the money is paid over years rather than immediate, that's a separate issue

You were pointing out in the OP that a deal would be agreed NEXT summer, I corrected you in saying that if a deal is going to be made it will be THIS summer

We won't be signing a marquee player this summer. A deal will be agreed for NEXT summer.

See the underlined. I should have phrased better: "A marquee player won't be arriving (i.e. joining the squad) this summer."

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
You know, that is low and uncalled for. For your information, I am attending U of M. Sophomore Mechanical Engineering student at your service.

Surprising, honestly...Your train of logic would suggest otherwise, well done otherwise...UofM has a great ME program, I take it you're living up on North Campus then

Home of Barca Fans