Paul Pogba

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Funny that the same people who wanted him before are now using his ridiculous price/wages as an out :lol:. It's not like his wage demands have changed overnight, it's been this way for almost a year now, but people didn't seem to have problems before. I can't say I'm really that surprised at the current situation given the dependance he had on his co-midfielders.

I know inflation is getting a bit silly in football but nowhere does it say we have to follow suit. Plenty of clubs are doing great business and upgrading their squads astutely. Atletico, Bayern, and RM for example all have done really smart business in this transfer window and the last. I'd say that, as of now, so have we. Rakitic, Bravo, Arda, Vidal, MATS, etc. have all been great cheap buys. The one really expensive transfer we've made recently (Suarez) was both necessary and paid off immensely. I hope we keep it this way.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Funny that the same people who wanted him before are now using his ridiculous price/wages as an out :lol:. It's not like his wage demands have changed overnight, it's been this way for almost a year now, but people didn't seem to have problems before. I can't say I'm really that surprised at the current situation given the dependance he had on his co-midfielders.

I know inflation is getting a bit silly in football but nowhere does it say we have to follow suit. Plenty of clubs are doing great business and upgrading their squads astutely. Atletico, Bayern, and RM for example all have done really smart business in this transfer window and the last. I'd say that, as of now, so have we. Rakitic, Bravo, Arda, Vidal, MATS, etc. have all been great cheap buys. The one really expensive transfer we've made recently (Suarez) was both necessary and paid off immensely. I hope we keep it this way.

Go back a few pages and most of us said 80m max. I also wouldn't give him more than 8m in wages. If he wants 12m then he should give away atleast 50-60% of his image rights too, but unfortunately that too is in possession of his former agent lol

Another problem is that these idiots in the board will spend the entire budget on him and we'll need to invest in other positions too BEFORE they start the Espai Barca project and I'd rather buy 2-3 quality players we need than one quality player and scrap for two average ones(Song comes to mind).

Also Gundogan returning to old form means we have another option, probably a better one and a less costly one too. After buying Arda, a midfielder of Gundogan's profile would arguably be the best idea.

They need to renew the squad gradually. It'll be difficult to replace many players at once during the Espai Barca project, budget's gonna collapse. Should replace, renew the squad gradually instead of waiting for the players to run out of gas and then panic for a replacement.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member

:robert: is the new guy so noone knows what to expect. I'd like us to stay focused on La Liga primarily. Summer 2014 with Rakitic, Bravo and Mathieu was great. 2015 could be the same as both Arda and Catalan Vidal should fit us well.

Co0ter

His wage demands and transfer fee didn't change over night, but did you really hear about his wage demands/fee until the end of the season or this summer? I certainly didn't. The rumors of us actually being interested in him only started to surface towards the end of the season, or at least that is when I noticed it. The first price I read, other than speculation from fans here, was 80mil. To me, that was already absurdly high. Now it's been 100, 120 or whatever, seems to be still going up. It just got worse when his wage demands went public. Honestly, it's a perfectly good reason to stop wanting your team to buy a player.

I always saw him as a gamble, he doesn't seem the type that would fit right in like you could imagine Kovacic doing. He could be very good, or very bad. To me, he is worth exactly what every other young, talented midfielder is worth....nothing more. I've also said that he had the advantage of playing for a team that was miles better than any other team in Serie A. We'll see how he does this season, we'll learn a lot about him.

There have always been players I preferred over Pogba. Verratti (and for a long time now), however I know we wont be able to get him from PSG....so I just don't even mention him anymore. I was a big fan of Kovacic. I even really liked Turan and was happy when we signed him.

I didn't want Gundogan beacuse he had shown nothing last season to warrant his signing. He was really bad most of the season, along with the Dortmund team. I'm glad he's doing better, but my opinion hasn't changed yet after only a few games. Oliver Torres is another player many people like but imo he just plain hasn't showed enough to warrant being worthy of the investment.

Last edited:

DonAK

:robert: is the new guy so noone knows what to expect. I'd like us to stay focused on La Liga primarily. Summer 2014 with Rakitic, Bravo and Mathieu was great. 2015 could be the same as both Arda and Catalan Vidal should fit us well.

When it comes to players like Pogba, Suarez, and others. Big money transfers, I think Bartomeu, Mestre and co are the ones who will be taking the shots, not Robert.

I didn't want Gundogan beacuse he had shown nothing last season to warrant his signing. He was really bad most of the season, along with the Dortmund team. I'm glad he's doing better, but my opinion hasn't changed yet after only a few games. Oliver Torres is another player many people like but I imo he just plain hasn't showed enough to warrant being worthy of the investment.

Gundogan is a player who already had two World Class seasons before his back injury. If he has a full season and performs the way he's been doing so far then IMO he'll be a great investment, especially since his contract runs out in 2017 so he won't cost too much either.

Co0ter

When it comes to players like Pogba, Suarez, and others. Big money transfers, I think Bartomeu, Mestre and co are the ones who will be taking the shots, not Robert.

Gundogan is a player who already had two World Class seasons before his back injury. If he has a full season and performs the way he's been doing so far then IMO he'll be a great investment, especially since his contract runs out in 2017 so he won't cost too much either.

Everyone keeps saying that he had great seasons before his back injury....yes, most of us know that. However, a back injury is pretty serious. You can't play football with a questionable back. He was just back from the injury, and his first season back he was very average, and at times below average. There was no reason to believe he'd get back to his best; there was no way of knowing other than waiting.

I'm glad he's doing better, but I'm not mad at the board for not buying him. What if they bought him and he stayed at his low level or got worse? Life is life.

Edit: One thing has become unfortunately clear to me, I don't think Rafinha will ever become the class player I hoped for. He really doesn't have the speed or 1 vs 1 ability to be great for us on the wing and he is not a good CM; we don't have a role that suits an AM in the team presently. Arda, Iniesta and Rakitic are great, but I do believe we need one more player. This summer Iniesta will be 32, a big CM signing could take place then and I could support it.

Last edited:
Everyone keeps saying that he had great seasons before his back injury....yes, most of us know that. However, a back injury is pretty serious. You can't play football with a questionable back. He was just back from the injury, and his first season back he was very average, and at times below average. There was no reason to believe he'd get back to his best; there was no way of knowing other than waiting.

I'm glad he's doing better, but I'm not mad at the board for not buying him. What if they bought him and he stayed at his low level or got worse? Life is life.

Edit: One thing has become unfortunately clear to me, I don't think Rafinha will ever become the class player I hoped for. He really doesn't have the speed or 1 vs 1 ability to be great for us on the wing and he is not a good CM; we don't have a role that suits an AM in the team presently. Arda, Iniesta and Rakitic are great, but I do believe we need one more player. This summer Iniesta will be 32, a big CM signing could take place then and I could support it.
Assuming that Gundogan's transfer fee was in the 15-20m range, then even if he hadn't regained his pre-injury form he would've still been a decent sub who adds depth to our squad; and in this market that's what 15-20m gets you.

So he was basically priced as if he would never regain his form, which means that signing him would've been a win-win situation for us: either he regains his form and we get a world class CM for a fraction of the cost, or he never regains and we still get a decent squad player at a fair – by today's standards – price.

BBZ8800

Juventus played 1:1 yesterday in Serie A. Again, a poor result.

Juve forum about Pogba from yesterday (he was on the bench and entered in the 46th Minute):
-- man, both our young guns who always show so much grinta and technique are nowhere near it, Pogba and Morata just didnt seem like they bothered, wtf??come on Pogboom!!! come back to life!!!!
-- I hope next summer someone would still be willing to pay 100m for him
-- We should've got that 80m at the start of the mercato and ran away.
-- How a player goes from a monster to an idiot over one summer. How much can we get for him if he keeps that up?
-- ...Barcelona's embargo ends this winter (and smiley in the end. Like they will "screw" us over with the deal.)
-- he should be our leader..but he always gives ball back.i dont what he is doing.
-- Would have been nice to have seen him on the pitch at the same time as Marchisio.
Again he was the man in charge of controlling the game and he just doesn't seem ready for that yet.
-- (quote: I hope next summer someone would still be willing to pay 100m for him) With a displays like he does lately I really doubt for that.He is undoubtely brilliant player but now is seen how easier was for him to shine playing alongside Pirlo,Vidal and Tevez.

We should be so glad that Barto and journalists from Sport are not watching football anymore.
Those Youtube videos from Pogba from last Season are awesome.
There is really no need to follow him this season.
We need to buy him :rolleyes:

DonAK

BBZ, the only thing that proves is that he AND Morata are in horrible form right now.

As you can see most are wondering how a monster, and young guns with technique have lost it at the start of the season. Do you know what that's called? Loss of form, not lack of quality as you desperately try to show every single week which is frankly speaking annoying enough.

Karma that Real Madrid got Kovacic. :coffee:

Last edited:

serghei

Pogba is quality. It's just that Juventus is on a decline. When the whole team is in decline, 1 player can't make the difference. It doesn't matter what Pogba's form is anyway. If anything, it should lower the price, and it works in our favour. We don't need him to be a leader, or to carry the team at Barcelona.

My problem is Juventus is gonna start a public bid for him to milk every cent they can. It's all down to Pogba and his agent, whether they want glory or cash. If they want cash, then no deal for me. Pogba is just a great luxury signing. We can afford to let it slide, and we can afford to buy him as well, as long as it's within reasonable limits. So, if Pogba and his agent demand us to meet whatever crazy sum the english teams will give him, I'd tell them to fuck off. A team wich has Messi, Neymar, Suarez, Iniesta, among other stars doesn't have to buy anyone at this point. Pogba needs Barca more than the other way around. Almost every player in world football would want to play in our team.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

BBZ, the only thing that proves is that he AND Morata are in horrible form right now.

As you can see most are wondering how a monster, and young guns with technique have lost it at the start of the season. Do you know what that's called? Loss of form, not lack of quality as you desperately try to show every single week which is frankly speaking annoying enough.

Karma that Real Madrid got Kovacic. :coffee:

Depends on how you are looking at it.

When players like Busquets or Pique have a weaker season/part of the season, then you can say: this is a loss of a form.
Because they already played 5-6-7-8 Seasons in the highest level, and one bad Season (or a few Months) is a loss of form.

Now, about Pogba, in my eyes (we have different opinions), he still had only one world-class season till now.
Further, about him, you can look at it from 2 angles:
1. if you think that he was never THAT good, even in the last Season, (I think that way).
And if you think that he had only one good season (that could be a wonder-season, it happens sometimes).
Or that he wasn't that good, and in fact his team was too strong for Seria A and he was good because of his teammates:
= well, then this is NOT a loss of form, but more or less a brighter picture of his real abilities

2. if you look at Pogba as a proven world class player, who played awesome for a few seasons already and similar stuff
= well, then for you, this is surely just a loss of form

Also, we can move away from Kovacic.
Currently, I would rather buy nobody than Pogba.
And I would much rather get some other random good midfielders than Pogba.

Home of Barca Fans