Pedro Rodriguez

USWAY

Definitely shouldn't leave but he's a squad player on a CL team at best.
Just like Montoya, Thiago and Tello. Right?
Please stop using this "he is from La Masia" lame excuse.

It's not that he's from La Masia, it's that he played a big role in the Pep era. Anyone who did so is adored, rightfully so. But when you rest on your laurels you end up with what we have tonight.

Stric

It's not that he's from La Masia, it's that he played a big role in the Pep era.

Exactly. So everyone needs to stop with the BS. If it was a non La Masia player in the exact same situation (Dani Alves, anyone?), no one would say a damn thing. But it's just so convenient for the haters that Pedro is from La Masia.

spark

He was absolutely shocking tonight.

Barcelona have the worst wide players of any top team in europe.

Teams have learned show the ball to Pedro/Sanchez then just stand off them. They cant dribble or pass and in the case of Pedro is only dangerous if you let him get in goal scoring positions.

Pedro has been found out at this level and at best should be a squad player... and never ever played again on the right hand side where he is totally redundant these days.

You should go back to page 251, Apparently Pedro's touch,dribbling, movement and passing are all still excellent.

Mr Hulot

Pedro should stay as a squad player. People seem to forget that he was benched for the most part of Pep's last season and he gradually earned his position back in the starting 11, ending his season by scoring two goals in the Copa del rey final and Pep saying that his biggest regret was that he didn't play Pedro enough minutes...

Stric

That's true. It's just that we we don't really have anyone who can play on the right any better than Pedro does. Don't bother suggesting Sanchez, at least not to me.

Kerrybai

As for the difference in the team I'd say it's in part down to tactics and also down to the shocking defense. Wouldn't you agree that things definitely do need to change in a considerable way and that if we just see more of the same for the next year or two, that's a huge failure of management?

Yes I really do, the main problems with this team are tactical, namely our lack of pressing. There is something lost from this team that players declining can't explain.

But I stand by my belief that Pedro and Sanchez either need to go or become squad players. Pedro works great in a Barca team firing on all cylinders, but when the chips are down and you need that extra spark or moment of magic well... I just don't think Pedro is the guy to provide it.

Didn't he go something like 19 games without scoring? He is a good player and had 2 great seasons but there are far better options out there, and for me that's what it boils down to.

Elite-BkD

Yes I really do, the main problems with this team are tactical, namely our lack of pressing. There is something lost from this team that players declining can't explain.

But I stand by my belief that Pedro and Sanchez either need to go or become squad players. Pedro works great in a Barca team firing on all cylinders, but when the chips are down and you need that extra spark or moment of magic well... I just don't think Pedro is the guy to provide it.

Didn't he go something like 19 games without scoring? He is a good player and had 2 great seasons but there are far better options out there, and for me that's what it boils down to.

I will agree with that when the team is not performing properly and are up against it he's not gonna produce a moment of magic to help turn things around the way Messi could, and that while nobody can there are plenty of forwards around who are better than Pedro is in that regard. When the chips are down though, and when it matters most, I'd rather see a team firing on all cylinders than a halfassed looking side relying on the individual brilliance of a player who compromises the general team play and you will not find a world class goal threat out there like Ribery or Robben who will be able to contribute to the functionality of the team as a whole the way Pedro does.** What he brings to the table is very different from what any of these types of players do. The front line does need a change imo, but Pedro isn't part of it. For example, Ribery-Messi-Pedro would be better than Ribery-Messi-Robben even though Robben is an obvious upgrade to Pedro in terms of the quality you mentioned. And it's important to mention that what I'm talking about Pedro bringing to the table, he has brought on a consistent basis and its value has been demonstrated in huge games against serious opposition. The problem with the forward line isn't that we don't have the Pedro of 10/11 , it's that we don't have the Villa of 10/11 nor a remotely suitable replacement.

**Arguable, but I think that fielding two such wide players (whose standout attribute are their moments of brilliance by forcing the issue in attack) as well as Messi would not suit Barca as well as swapping one of them for Pedro would.

Last edited:

barcanuck

Pep had it right last year to not always start him and play Tello and Cuenca a lot of the times. Tito this year has guaranteed Pedro's spot way too much!

Home of Barca Fans