Pedro Rodriguez

BerkeleyBernie

Apparently, you haven't been watching Barcelona very long.

*When on form*, Pedro and Neymar are both very good finishers, and score similar goals. Of course, Pedro's form has been sporadic for some time, but it's not a question of a difference in shooting talent. I do think Neymar is overrated as a finisher, not in the same class as Messi or Suarez, who can make a goal out of nothing (like Suarez' amazing outside of boot goal a few games back). If Neymar continues to improve, he might prove to be a Henry-type finisher. He's not there yet.

M

matheusemp

Apparently, you haven't been watching Barcelona very long.

*When on form*, Pedro and Neymar are both very good finishers, and score similar goals. Of course, Pedro's form has been sporadic for some time, but it's not a question of a difference in shooting talent. I do think Neymar is overrated as a finisher, not in the same class as Messi or Suarez, who can make a goal out of nothing (like Suarez' amazing outside of boot goal a few games back). If Neymar continues to improve, he might prove to be a Henry-type finisher. He's not there yet.
As my post vanished
Lets bring ronaldinho and put xavi on the first 11, they would play the same as 8 years ago by your logic :lol:

DinhoR10

Tbf Neymar's finishing side from the wondergoals he scores sometimes is exactly what Pedro used to do for the team back in the day. Too bad he can't do it anymore, or atleast isn't able to produce it at the moment.

BerkeleyBernie

As my post vanished
Lets bring ronaldinho and put xavi on the first 11, they would play the same as 8 years ago by your logic :lol:

Pedro isn't 35. It's a matter of form, not fitness or ability. I'm sure he'd have a better chance of regaining form with more starts (i.e. another team, as no way he'll replace Neymar, no matter how shit he plays; Neymar will always start, as long as his brand is strong). Whether he'll ever have a chance to regain his form as a Barça player, quite possibly we'll never know. I actually think he'd do quite well with Suarez and Messi (rather than as a stand-in for Suarez in the beginning of a season with a new coach).

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Pedro isn't 35. It's a matter of form, not fitness or ability. I'm sure he'd have a better chance of regaining form with more starts (i.e. another team, as no way he'll replace Neymar, no matter how shit he plays; Neymar will always start, as long as his brand is strong). Whether he'll ever have a chance to regain his form as a Barça player, quite possibly we'll never know. I actually think he'd do quite well with Suarez and Messi (rather than as a stand-in for Suarez in the beginning of a season with a new coach).

Well then, he should get a lot of chances to play with Suarez during preseason. Let's hope something clicks and he gets back to the form he once had.

M

matheusemp

So what? Iniesta isnt the same and he is starting and is younger than robben , age doesnt mean anything for midfielders like xavi , if pedro were that good barça wouldnt need new strikers

BerkeleyBernie

So what? Iniesta isnt the same and he is starting and is younger than robben , age doesnt mean anything for midfielders like xavi , if pedro were that good barça wouldnt need new strikers

I'm...failing...to...see...an...argument...here.

You said "could Pedro score those goals?" I said "yes, he has the ability," and I showed you. Neymar's goals, like Pedro's, are those of a very good finisher, but not in the same league as a Messi or Suarez, who are magicians who can make something out of nothing. This is why his run of bad form is not surprising to me. He's not exceptional, and is bound to hit bad patches.

Then you brought up Xavi, and I said it's not comparable, because Pedro's decline is not due to physical limitations.

What is unclear?

It's clear that Pedro in current form has not been scoring consistently. That's not debatable, either.

You also (falsely) assume that all player acquisitions have to do with improving the team. While there are many players who might play successfully on the left wing in Barça's system, that is not the primary reason Neymar was purchased. Neymar's biggest asset to the Barça management is that he is a global brand. Though he had a good run of finishing form at the beginning of the season, there are other players Barça could have purchased who would have 1) been better than Pedro in current form, 2) been a better fit with Barça's style.

Ursegor

World Champion
Again. It is easy to make up a scenario where Pedro could *hypothetically* add anything meaningful to the team and "regain form if he only played more" now that is he not playing. But Barca has given him the chance in 11/12 after Villa broke his leg to take up a leading role in attack. Result? Pep lost trust in him in very quickly and benched him for average talents like Cuenca and Tello in big games vs. Milan or Chelsea. His nomination for the Spain squad for Euro 2012 was in doubt until the very last day. His performance in the Copa del Rey final just about bailed him out. The next season Tito had full trust in Pedro. Sure, maybe he was off form 1 season, allright, can happen. Remember Tito's famous "gala XI"?

Iniesta Messi Pedro
Cesc Xavi
Busquets
Alba Masche Pique Alves
Valdes

Result? Pedro didn't score a single goal between August and January. Then he scored 4 goals in January and didn't score again until May. He also scored a grand total of 1 goal in the CL against PSG. Literally the only useful thing he did all season. He also produced this hilarious miss in the Copa del Rey against Real Madrid:

Only then it finally dawned on the Barca board that you can't have a utility system player like Pedro leading the line and the Neymar deal was sped up.

Under Tata Pedro played a lesser role behind Neymar and Alexis but he wasn't fully relegated to the bench as is the case now. He played in 37 out of 38 La Liga games and minute-wise he played in 70 % of the available minutes in La Liga. He did okay-ish but still far from anything of note. He scored in the opening trashing of Levante (7-0) and against Rayo Vallecano with their suicidal style but apart from those 2 games he didn't score in any other game from August to November. And between February and May he also only scored 2 goals, 1 of them in the 7-0 trashing of Osasuna.

Pedro is a shit finisher. Always has been. A couple of big game goals have clouded people's perception of his finishing ability. Even in his heydays he was inconsistent infront of goal. In 10/11, the "MVP" days, he scored 0 goals between August and November. Then between November and end of January he was in the best form of his life where he scored 12 goals in 12 games including a goal in the 5-0 Clasico and to this date that's what people remember as "Pedro's normal form" although he has never ever replicated that ever again. Then from February to May he scored 1 goal in 10/11. I'll repeat. In Pedro's best season which is remembered as the "MVP" days he went without scoring from August to November and scored 1 goal from February to May. But here we are bitching about Neymar because he hasn't scored for 2 games. Top lels.

Pedro is in the same bracket as Ji-Sung Park and Dirk Kuyt as far as likeable, hardworking underdog system players with "big game reputation" goes. Better deal with it. The moment Neymar gets injured and Pedro takes up the starting spot from here on it's Barca = 0 tituli.

Last edited:

Richard.H

Again. It is easy to make up a scenario where Pedro could *hypothetically* add anything meaningful to the team and "regain form if he only played more" now that is he not playing. But Barca has given him the chance in 11/12 after Villa broke his leg to take up a leading role in attack. Result? Pep lost trust in him in very quickly and benched him for average talents like Cuenca and Tello in big games vs. Milan or Chelsea. His nomination for the Spain squad for Euro 2012 was in doubt until the very last day. His performance in the Copa del Rey final just about bailed him out. The next season Tito had full trust in Pedro. Sure, maybe he was off form 1 season, allright, can happen. Remember Tito's famous "gala XI"?

Iniesta Messi Pedro
Cesc Xavi
Busquets
Alba Masche Pique Alves
Valdes

Result? Pedro didn't score a single goal between August and January. Then he scored 4 goals in January and didn't score again until May. He also scored a grand total of 1 goal in the CL against PSG. Literally the only useful thing he did all season. He also produced this hilarious miss in the Copa del Rey against Real Madrid:

Only then it finally dawned on the Barca board that you can't have a utility system player like Pedro leading the line and the Neymar deal was sped up.

Under Tata Pedro played a lesser role behind Neymar and Alexis but he wasn't fully relegated to the bench as is the case now. He played in 37 out of 38 La Liga games and minute-wise he played in 70 % of the available minutes in La Liga. He did okay-ish but still far from anything of note. He scored in the opening trashing of Levante (7-0) and against Rayo Vallecano with their suicidal style but apart from those 2 games he didn't score in any other game from August to November. And between February and May he also only scored 2 goals, 1 of them in the 7-0 trashing of Osasuna.

Pedro is a shit finisher. Always has been. A couple of big game goals have clouded people's perception of his finishing ability. Even in his heydays he was inconsistent infront of goal. In 10/11, the "MVP" days, he scored 0 goals between August and November. Then between November and end of January he was in the best form of his life where he scored 12 goals in 12 games including a goal in the 5-0 Clasico and to this date that's what people remember as "Pedro's normal form" although he has never ever replicated that ever again. Then from February to May he scored 1 goal in 10/11. I'll repeat. In Pedro's best season which is remembered as the "MVP" days he went without scoring from August to November and scored 1 goal from February to May. But here we are bitching about Neymar because he hasn't scored for 2 games. Top lels.

Pedro is in the same bracket as Ji-Sung Park and Dirk Kuyt as far as likeable, hardworking underdog system players with "big game reputation" goes. Better deal with it. The moment Neymar gets injured and Pedro takes up the starting spot from here on it's Barca = 0 tituli.

8x4efr-jpg.gif

e6u4ok.gif

Last edited:

BerkeleyBernie

Better deal with it.

You talking to me? I've never claimed Pedro is a superstar player; I like utility players; Barça, at its best, was a team of brilliant utility players (if you know what I mean- every player at the service of the team). I simply have said I like watching him play and said that I don't like watching Neymar play. There's nothing to "deal" with (other than watch Neymar kill Barça build-up play consistently).

Home of Barca Fans