Pedro Rodriguez

Zangash

Banned
Again, Messi was laying them out on a platter non-stop, with City defense being caught wide open in the counter.

Pedro is criticized for stat-padding against weaker teams. But he scores goals, and tonight the only difference would have been Hart's awesome form because their defense was horrible otherwise.

But none of us will change our opinions at this moment, so might as well let it go.

Would Messi have been able to lay passes out to PEDRO on a platter all game? Because when Pedro isn't bottling the few chances he does get he's typically completely invisible. Go back a few pages and count how many times someone says "10 men". It's not because we got a red card.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Again, Messi was laying them out on a platter non-stop, with City defense being caught wide open in the counter.

Pedro is criticized for stat-padding against weaker teams. But he scores goals, and tonight the only difference would have been Hart's awesome form because their defense was horrible otherwise.

But none of us will change our opinions at this moment, so might as well let it go.

But then again for Leo to lay them out on a platter there's a certain aspect which need to be there which is clever movement and good runs behind the defence. That's where Pedro has been failing, time after time after time. That's my point and when has Pedro been scoring goals? He has been tripping in his own feet and failing all the time.

Alik

And what of the chances Messi and Suarez fluffed? Is it so hard to recognize that it was an incredibly tough game in front of goal and that our forwards were struggling?

Or do you think that Pedro would have had a better night in front of goal than all of Messi, Suarez, and Neymar, combined? It's super easy to say "Pedro would have scored that" but based on what Pedro has shown us compared to our starting front three have everything indicates he, in fact, would not have.

Messi was man of the match. I'm talking about the chances he created. Neymar was on the receiving end of those.

As for Suarez, maybe Pedro would have done better maybe not. I feel like the chances he's had were indeed due to positioning etc. I can't remember as many times where he was through 1vs1 (I can remember one where he hit with his left).

JamDav1982

Neymar created two or three good chances for team mates and his finishing was poor... as was Messis and Suarez.

He will continue to start and fully deserves to.

Zangash

Banned
Messi was man of the match. I'm talking about the chances he created. Neymar was on the receiving end of those.

As for Suarez, maybe Pedro would have done better maybe not. I feel like the chances he's had were indeed due to positioning etc. I can't remember as many times where he was through 1vs1 (I can remember one where he hit with his left).

First thing: Pedro is not definitively better at 1v1s than Neymar and he has done nothing to suggest he is.

Second: Even if Pedro was definitively better at 1v1s than Neymar, he has done nothing to suggest he is better at getting into such positions.

Third: If Pedro was out there the majority of the passes from Messi would have almost certainly either become solo runs or passes to Suarez, as Pedro has seemed to lose Messi's confidence for quite some time now.

Alik

But then again for Leo to lay them out on a platter there's a certain aspect which need to be there which is clever movement and good runs behind the defence. That's where Pedro has been failing, time after time after time.
If you think Pedro is that incapable, then I can't really say anything.

That's my point and when has Pedro been scoring goals? He has been tripping in his own feet and failing all the time.
Pedro has scored goals this season. Suarez only recently over took him.

First thing: Pedro is not definitively better at 1v1s than Neymar and he has done nothing to suggest he is.

Second: Even if Pedro was definitively better at 1v1s than Neymar, he has done nothing to suggest he is better at getting into such positions.

Third: If Pedro was out there the majority of the passes from Messi would have almost certainly either become solo runs or passes to Suarez, as Pedro has seemed to lose Messi's confidence for quite some time now.
I don't think he's better 1v1, I think he would've been better tonight as Neymar was having a night to forget. With regards to your third point, fair enough if you think so.

I'm going to bed now. Just to reiterate my final point: There's no way we could've guessed how this game was going to play out before the match started, but 60 mins into the game it was clear that Neymar was having the worst night ever and that it was reasonable to expect an improvement by subbing Pedro in.

Last edited:

Kohe321

I'm not sure Pedro would have scored, but he would have laid much better passes up for Messi and Suarez than Ney did. That is pretty certain.

Anyway, discussing if Pedro would have scored or not is impossible. It's all guesswork, but I think he would. It's not like Pedro doesn't have decent movement either, he gets into scoring (or assisting) positions quite often, and Messi was delivering passes on a silver platter tonight. My guess is Pedro would have done well, and in my opinion certainly would have offered more to the team than Neymar did tonight.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

If you think Pedro is that incapable, then I can't really say anything.

Pedro has scored goals this season. Suarez only recently over took him.

I'm going to bed now. Just to reiterate my final point: There's no way we could've guessed how this game was going to play out before the match started, but 60 mins into the game it was clear that Neymar was having the worst night ever and that it was reasonable to expect an improvement by subbing Pedro in.

Going by goals of players scored then Neymar has more goals this season already than Pedro has ever got in a season at Barca.

He links up with Suarez and Messi much better than Pedro and even tonight he set up 2/3 chances for them and recieved 3 or 4.

I like Pedro but he is not close to Neymars level.

JamDav1982

I'm not sure Pedro would have scored, but he would have laid much better passes up for Messi and Suarez than Ney did. That is pretty certain.

Anyway, discussing if Pedro would have scored or not is impossible. It's all guesswork, but I think he would. It's not like Pedro doesn't have decent movement either, he gets into scoring (or assisting) positions quite often, and Messi was delivering passes on a silver platter tonight.

Better than the chances Neymar set up?

I doubt Pedro would have.

Jombi

People need to start giving more credit for off-the-ball runs and being positioned well to get into goal scoring chances. If a player misses a chance, its always whining and never praise for being at the right spot to begin with.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Poor guy. Neymar can play like shit he's always gonna start while Pedro gets the scraps.

And when Pedro gets those starts and still doesn't play remotely as well as Neymar everyone are gonna start bashing Lucho and go ballistic for him starting Pedro over a difference maker in Neymar.

I see the selective memory loss is well and truly alive at the forum these days.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
It sure is problem with a memory if you can't remember how much good Pedro has done for this team since 2008.

Home of Barca Fans