Pedro Rodriguez

BerkeleyBernie

I don't think Pedro would work well near Suarez, he needs Messi or similar skilled player next to him to feed him the ball to be effective.

Well, that ignores the facts I just pointed out, that the times Pedro *did* start with Messi RW and Suarez CF, the team did *extremely* well. Though he had goals and/or assists in all the games I mentioned, who scores is irrelevant, as long as the players are getting service in dangerous areas

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Pedro of the last 3 or even 4 seasons is solid, he's kind of Volkswagen Golf solid. But you don't bring a Volkswagen Golf to a Formula 1 race. Calling people who don't appreciate Pedro's last 4 seasons and raise doubts about him regaining his old form (and a place in LE new tactics) for new fanboys, glory hunters or neyfans is just pointless and misses the target. Truth is, Pedro of late is a very average player - he doesn't bring anything to the table beside safe back passes and work rate. I'm thankful for everything he's done for us, but time to move on. Pedro still has football in him and should go to a top 5 club in England, Italy, Germany or maybe Valencia/Sevilla in Spain.

Alik

Have I said that?

Read my comment again and don't put any word on my mouth.

Then what do you mean?

Would it be insulting if he had done something better on the last seasons, specially before Neymar and Suarez signing.

His current playtime is a direct consequence of his not-so-great performances for the last two or three seasons.

Hard to put him as a poor victim.

You say that his current role is not insulting and his playtime is a consequence from his poor performances in the past.

None of that justifies him not being able to start a match against Cordoba which is the matter of the conversation.

mark1nhu

Then what do you mean?

You say that his current role is not insulting and his playtime is a consequence from his poor performances in the past.

None of that justifies him not being able to start a match against Cordoba which is the matter of the conversation.

It was not what you said when first replied me.

Not start against Cordoba has NOTHING to do with him not being able to handle the opponent.

Two completely different things.

Again: read my comment, read yours and stop putting words on my mouth.

mark1nhu

Pedro of the last 3 or even 4 seasons is solid, he's kind of Volkswagen Golf solid. But you don't bring a Volkswagen Golf to a Formula 1 race. Calling people who don't appreciate Pedro's last 4 seasons and raise doubts about him regaining his old form (and a place in LE new tactics) for new fanboys, glory hunters or neyfans is just pointless and misses the target. Truth is, Pedro of late is a very average player - he doesn't bring anything to the table beside safe back passes and work rate. I'm thankful for everything he's done for us, but time to move on. Pedro still has football in him and should go to a top 5 club in England, Italy, Germany or maybe Valencia/Sevilla in Spain.

Thank you for your incredible lucid comment.

Barça Forum needs you.

DennyCrane

Denny Crane!

Whether he leaves or not will depend on whether he wants to play waterboy anymore. I'd actually love to see more what he can do starting with the starting team in the left wing spot, with Pedro starting and Messi right, Suarez center, and a Rakitic/Iniesta/Xavi/Busi mid. The whole time he was getting starts at the beginning of the season, he was basically a CF stand-in for Suarez, as Lucho was working out his tactics. Any time he has started in the formation above, the team has performed well- Cordoba 5-0, Elche 6-0, Rayo 6-1 (no Busi), Almeria 4-0 (no Busi). Whether or not Pedro scored/assisted in those games, the front players have clearly done well- my point being that a more conservative player in Pedro on the left just means recirculating the ball more often to Messi/Suarez, resulting in more opportunities for Barça's two most lethal/creative attackers. Would like to see if that is also the case with more difficult opponents.

Rotating the front row will probably be a necessity next season due to Copa America fatigue, so I guess this is what we are going to see at least a bit more often anyway.

The thing with Pedro over the last few seasons imo is this: Not every coach knows how to get the best out of him. He always was a supportive player who needs a consistent tactical system to strive.

After Pep had left the building, our coaches since then seemed to have some misconceptions about him. He seldomnly found himself integrated into the system but was merely utilized as a winger. The simplified symmetrification of our frontline in the following years forced him into simple and orthodox movement patterns. More and more he was pushed into a width-giving role and mostly had to operate in the spaces away from the ball to either pull opponent defenders, work as an option to shift the attacking side and make some purely situational runs behind the defense. Which wasn't fundamentally wrong, but way too one-sided:

His finishing, the quality of his attacking movement and his local, pressuring/supportive component no longer had an effect in this setup. In this less integrated role, he lost the defining support qualities and the limited scope of options made him seem less strong. And yet, it was seemingly forgotten that in Barca's prime year 2011 (the ultimate Barca benchmark) it was Pedro who was integrated more, whereas Villa occupied the space far from the ball and was in a deliberately "weakened" position.

With more involvement, he was then used as a somewhat propelling dribbler, which I found to be completely unfitting. It had some effects and worked in certain aspects, but wasn't accomodating to him in the long range strategical sense at all. The characteristical support play situations in high half spaces became scarce, which is why his inherent qualities and the resulting effects were no longer brought to bear. The fact that he was forced into recursive action patterns didn't fit his general playstyle at all and lead to a rising number of failed playing sequences and less effectiveness. And it gets worse:

The fact that the basic tactical setup as well as the role allocation in our attack became more normal, simple and symmetric, wasn't only a problem for Pedro's integration but influenced him negatively in his individual development. The effect of this new environment and structure, which were both characterized by little tactical consistency, pushed back the awareness, orientation and focus of the former years and superimposed them, which lead to Pedro's drop in form. Add some smaller physical problems -regression in finishing and the details in his running style, which lost a little of his dedication and oh so effective, pressing liveliness. But most of all, his decline was due to the loss of rigour and clarity in the basic tactical setup.

A smaller part of his negative development had individual reasons, as Pedro was changed by the system. Sometimes, his decision making was not good at all and he showed problems in solo situations displaying a rather erratic and overtorqued playstyle. When his environment becomes optionally too normal or undefined, he has more problems than anyone else - which is an individual problem as well.

Long story short: Pedro is a highly adaptable player, a group tactician, but his broad flexibility isn't universal but only works on a team basis. To reach an outstanding performance level, he needs a functioning environment and proper integration. Only then will he be able to display his qualities.
Seeing how Barca is progressing in the tactical department by now, it doesn't surprise me at all that he just now seems to "fit in", as seen yesterday. From this point forward, I think we can safely use him more often and will not be disappointed.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Rotating the front row will probably be a necessity next season due to Copa America fatigue, so I guess this is what we are going to see at least a bit more often anyway.

The thing with Pedro over the last few seasons imo is this: Not every coach knows how to get the best out of him. He always was a supportive player who needs a consistent tactical system to strive.

After Pep had left the building, our coaches since then seemed to have some misconceptions about him. He seldomnly found himself integrated into the system but was merely utilized as a winger. The simplified symmetrification of our frontline in the following years forced him into simple and orthodox movement patterns. More and more he was pushed into a width-giving role and mostly had to operate in the spaces away from the ball to either pull opponent defenders, work as an option to shift the attacking side and make some purely situational runs behind the defense. Which wasn't fundamentally wrong, but way too one-sided:

His finishing, the quality of his attacking movement and his local, pressuring/supportive component no longer had an effect in this setup. In this less integrated role, he lost the defining support qualities and the limited scope of options made him seem less strong. And yet, it was seemingly forgotten that in Barca's prime year 2011 (the ultimate Barca benchmark) it was Pedro who was integrated more, whereas Villa occupied the space far from the ball and was in a deliberately "weakened" position.

With more involvement, he was then used as a somewhat propelling dribbler, which I found to be completely unfitting. It had some effects and worked in certain aspects, but wasn't accomodating to him in the long range strategical sense at all. The characteristical support play situations in high half spaces became scarce, which is why his inherent qualities and the resulting effects were no longer brought to bear. The fact that he was forced into recursive action patterns didn't fit his general playstyle at all and lead to a rising number of failed playing sequences and less effectiveness. And it gets worse:

The fact that the basic tactical setup as well as the role allocation in our attack became more normal, simple and symmetric, wasn't only a problem for Pedro's integration but influenced him negatively in his individual development. The effect of this new environment and structure, which were both characterized by little tactical consistency, pushed back the awareness, orientation and focus of the former years and superimposed them, which lead to Pedro's drop in form. Add some smaller physical problems -regression in finishing and the details in his running style, which lost a little of his dedication and oh so effective, pressing liveliness. But most of all, his decline was due to the loss of rigour and clarity in the basic tactical setup.

A smaller part of his negative development had individual reasons, as Pedro was changed by the system. Sometimes, his decision making was not good at all and he showed problems in solo situations displaying a rather erratic and overtorqued playstyle. When his environment becomes optionally too normal or undefined, he has more problems than anyone else - which is an individual problem as well.

Long story short: Pedro is a highly adaptable player, a group tactician, but his broad flexibility isn't universal but only works on a team basis. To reach an outstanding performance level, he needs a functioning environment and proper integration. Only then will he be able to display his qualities.
Seeing how Barca is progressing in the tactical department by now, it doesn't surprise me at all that he just now seems to "fit in", as seen yesterday. From this point forward, I think we can safely use him more often and will not be disappointed.

Denny, I think your football analysis are one of the better ones on this forum - I enjoy to read them and I often agree. While you might be right about our tactical changes and Pedro's place in it, it's just a million excuses and a top player should be able to adapt - Pedro has struggled for almost 4 seasons now. And yes I think many will be disappointed with his performances when given minutes, there is simply no way he will start to "fit in" after 4 seasons of average to disastrous displays.

Alik

It was not what you said when first replied me.

Not start against Cordoba has NOTHING to do with him not being able to handle the opponent.

Two completely different things.

Again: read my comment, read yours and stop putting words on my mouth.

I still don't know what you're on about.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Barcelona winger Pedro (27), whose contract expires in June 2016, plans to move to the English Premier League. [md]

As much i want to pedro to stay, but it would selfish of us to keep him at barca just to be the backup player. He is good enough to be a starter in many clubs. All i wish for is both him and xavi continue at barca next season too. If they leave now we won't be able to sign replacements thanks to the stupid ban.

Zangash

Banned
Barcelona winger Pedro (27), whose contract expires in June 2016, plans to move to the English Premier League. [md]

As much i want to pedro to stay, but it would selfish of us to keep him at barca just to be the backup player. He is good enough to be a starter in many clubs. All i wish for is both him and xavi continue at barca next season too. If they leave now we won't be able to sign replacements thanks to the stupid ban.

We don't need to sign a replacement for Pedro. We have plenty of options to sit on our bench. Xavi is the one who we should be desperate to replace but that replacement already left some time ago to Bayern.

Home of Barca Fans