Pedro Rodriguez

Kubala

I feel like I see you make this comment or comments similar to it to nearly everybody on this forum.

I never even said he'd leave due to his declining ability, either. I also never said he's not better than Munir and Sandro.

Once again, someone has failed to mention what Pedro has to offer outside of it being "a lot".

Pedro brings pace, work rate, enthusiasm, goal threat, movement and versatility. He is proven at the very highest level and in the most important games. He is loyal and quite happy to play wherever, whenever and is a perfect squad player who never makes a fuss when other players of a similar level would be handing in transfer requests and not turning up for training. He's a model professional who never causes any trouble off the pitch and I am constantly baffled as to why some Barca fans don't appreciate what he's done for us or what he brings to the team. No, he isn't Messi, but then again who is? If he leaves, our squad will be significantly weakened should we sustain any lengthy injury in any of the attacking positions. He has blaugrana coursing through his veins and I, for one, would love to see him spend his whole career with us.

Zangash

Banned
Pedro brings pace,

So does Adama.

work rate,

His work rate doesn't have nearly the same value under a coach who demands his entire team work hard. Even Messi tracks back to defend nowadays.

enthusiasm,

Enthusiasm? Is it something more than what any other starting XI player has? And if so, should we care?

goal threat,

No way in hell is this right.

movement and versatility.

He doesn't provide any more movement than our other forwards no matter what their name is and his versatility is simply being capable of playing on both wings, neither of which are areas where he's particularly needed. Sure, if something happens to Neymar or Messi then he'd be able to stand in, but we'd be in a terrible position in that scenario no matter who we play there. Pedro isn't even close to being the goal thread MSN is and having him fill in wouldn't actually help us in any way.

He is proven at the very highest level and in the most important games.

At one time he was, but that was years ago. He spent season after season being between mediocre and awful as a starter and now he's sitting on the bench, having not gotten any better. At a certain point you're going to have realize that he's not the player he once was.

Jombi

Pedro brings pace, work rate, enthusiasm, goal threat, movement and versatility. He is proven at the very highest level and in the most important games. He is loyal and quite happy to play wherever, whenever and is a perfect squad player who never makes a fuss when other players of a similar level would be handing in transfer requests and not turning up for training. He's a model professional who never causes any trouble off the pitch and I am constantly baffled as to why some Barca fans don't appreciate what he's done for us or what he brings to the team. No, he isn't Messi, but then again who is? If he leaves, our squad will be significantly weakened should we sustain any lengthy injury in any of the attacking positions. He has blaugrana coursing through his veins and I, for one, would love to see him spend his whole career with us.

100% this. Its sad to see the disrespect and downright mockery of Pedro. He is the perfect backup for us.

He's a good backup but he wouldn't be of much help if one of MSN gets injured, I might be a youthophile but I rather give his time to a young player who similarly doesn't offer much but can maybe improve to a point where he can.

BerkeleyBernie

In the current Barça, obviously NO one can stand in for Messi, and the only player I see offering an acceptable #9 performance to sub Suarez is Sandro. However, almost all games where Pedro started with Suarez and Messi were blowouts. Pedro had a few goals and assists in those games, but the important fact is that the *team* production was still in the stratosphere. Neymar, by his nature in the current system, contributes less to build-up and is most effective getting on the end of balls in the box (often provided by Messi). Pedro, by his nature, is more of a build-up player, so it's not surprising the team on the whole still scored loads of goals with Pedro on the pitch- he doesn't dally on the ball, the ball circulates more often and more quickly into scoring position, he is brilliant moving the ball on counterattacks, gets back fast (like Alba) to snuff opponent counters, and is probably the best pressing of all the Barça forwards, helping force opponent turnovers in the opponent's half.

These blowouts weren't against top teams, so one would expect scores to be lower against better defences. Still, I don't think Barça would be significantly less potent if ancient geezer Pedro started for Neymar (assuming the rest of the lineup was intact).

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
If the player wants to play more although both unrealistic and understandable then he absolutely should be allowed to leave...he's valuable but as a sub despite how capable he is starting here or anywhere else

I actually think or have thought it was inevitable he'd be sold this summer to make room for Deulofeu but that ship has sailed... Suppose it also depends on the FIFA restrictions on registering either Sandro or Munir

However, neither Munir nor Sandro are truly wide players

CatalinR10

Still, I don't think Barça would be significantly less potent if ancient geezer Pedro started for Neymar (assuming the rest of the lineup was intact).

LOL.

That's as stupid as saying that Barca would have been as succesfull as last season if Busquets would have been replaced with S. Roberto.

No Neymar - no trebble.

Exchange him with Pedro and our offensive line will decrease at least 50%.

There were a shit lot of games when Messi was heavy marked and couldn't have the impact he usually has , Suarez was missing sitters but Neymar shined. If Messi is marked and Suarez misses chances , there needs to be someone else with the goal instinct Neymar has. Pedro is far away from being that player. The best thing about the front 3 is that 2 players can have a bad day , the 3'rd one will not . If Messi or Suarez are having a day off , there's no way in hell Pedro would have the impact Neymar would.

Just cut off with this bs , it's like saying Tata would have had the succes Pep had , with the same team.

Ekul

In the current Barça, obviously NO one can stand in for Messi, and the only player I see offering an acceptable #9 performance to sub Suarez is Sandro. However, almost all games where Pedro started with Suarez and Messi were blowouts. Pedro had a few goals and assists in those games, but the important fact is that the *team* production was still in the stratosphere. Neymar, by his nature in the current system, contributes less to build-up and is most effective getting on the end of balls in the box (often provided by Messi). Pedro, by his nature, is more of a build-up player, so it's not surprising the team on the whole still scored loads of goals with Pedro on the pitch- he doesn't dally on the ball, the ball circulates more often and more quickly into scoring position, he is brilliant moving the ball on counterattacks, gets back fast (like Alba) to snuff opponent counters, and is probably the best pressing of all the Barça forwards, helping force opponent turnovers in the opponent's half.

These blowouts weren't against top teams, so one would expect scores to be lower against better defences. Still, I don't think Barça would be significantly less potent if ancient geezer Pedro started for Neymar (assuming the rest of the lineup was intact).

Pedro is not more involved in the build-up play than Neymar! No way!

Zangash

Banned

The amount of goals we score against low tier teams doesn't matter. Do you really think we'd have destroyed the likes of Bayern, City, and PSG with Pedro starting instead of Neymar?

Jombi

Luckily Lucho isnt stupid. He will refuse to allow Pedro to leave if he cant sign a proven replacement. The only way he can leave is if someone buys his buyout, which would be a massive blow to our squad depth. Sandro and Munir have proven absolutely zero to be mentioned in the same sentence as Pedro who has almost 50 caps for Spain and is still only 27.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Luckily Lucho isnt stupid. He will refuse to allow Pedro to leave if he cant sign a proven replacement. The only way he can leave is if someone buys his buyout, which would be a massive blow to our squad depth. Sandro and Munir have proven absolutely zero to be mentioned in the same sentence as Pedro who has almost 50 caps for Spain and is still only 27.

Lucho said he want him to stay, but will understand and accept his decision if he decides to leave.

lessthanjake

You guys realize that Pedro has scored 0.49 goals per 90 minutes in the last 2 seasons, right? For a player typically playing on the wings who is not even remotely the focus of the team, that's quite good. Relatedly, consider also that Pedro has scored 25.9% of his shots in the last two years, an absolutely stratospherically high number. He's a really clinical striker. He gets a lot of flak for not scoring much in the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 seasons. But he also was given essentially zero chances. In league + CL, Pedro only attempted 104 shots in those two seasons combined. He scored 17 of them. That's actually a good conversion rate. So he has never had woeful finishing, even at his worst. And at his best, his finishing is godly.

You guys realize that Pedro has scored 0.49 goals per 90 minutes in the last 2 seasons, right? For a player typically playing on the wings who is not even remotely the focus of the team, that's quite good. Relatedly, consider also that Pedro has scored 25.9% of his shots in the last two years, an absolutely stratospherically high number. He's a really clinical striker. He gets a lot of flak for not scoring much in the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 seasons. But he also was given essentially zero chances. In league + CL, Pedro only attempted 104 shots in those two seasons combined. He scored 17 of them. That's actually a good conversion rate. So he has never had woeful finishing, even at his worst. And at his best, his finishing is godly.

Who gives a damn if you have a good conversion rate. You can have a 100% conversion rate but if you only score one goal it doesnt mean anything.

This decision as Lucho said is up to Pedro. If he wants to stay and scrub the bench and get passed over for younger players at times then sure. But he's not going to get any time playing here next season. And when Turan and Vidal come I don't expect him to leave the bench he may even start not getting called up.

Co0ter

There is absolutely no way Munir, Sandro or Vidal should start over Pedro. I've always said Pedro was overrated back when people said he was godly in early Pep era...but Munir and Sandro did OK last season, as well as Pedro during his limited playing time. Vidal was bought to be a RB, he should never start over a healthy winger.

As far as Turan, he has already proven his quality in the position so if given the chance and plays well there for us, then sure he should get the minutes over Pedro.

Barca B was a mess last season but that doesn't excuse Sandro and Munir from not stepping up or standing out.

We could buy a winger...but what quality player, especially if a young one, wants to come here and sit the bench....and compete with Arda, Munir and Sandro?!

Home of Barca Fans