Penal Madrid

mc_lovin

They weren't as bad as the result implies, but still a lot of question marks for them:
- Their best finisher in the 442 diamond is constantly wrong footed (Rodrygo). Vinicius basically needs to turn into a 30 goals/season type of player.
- With the young midfielders there's noone to structure play (like Kroos).
- Defence looks shambles. Pretty much the same issues we have at fullback, but at least we have Balde.

Transfer window isn't over, so maybe they get more goals into the team (Mbappe, Kane..), but then their midfield looks incredibly over-crowded. Survival of the fittest is hardly an issue for Madrid though.

Horatio

You're welcome
They weren't as bad as the result implies, but still a lot of question marks for them:
- Their best finisher in the 442 diamond is constantly wrong footed (Rodrygo). Vinicius basically needs to turn into a 30 goals/season type of player.
- Defence looks shambles. Pretty much the same issues we have at fullback, but at least we have Balde.

Transfer window isn't over, so maybe they get more goals into the team (Mbappe, Kane..), but then their midfield looks incredibly over-crowded. Survival of the fittest is hardly an issue for Madrid though.
Good analysis.

Horatio

You're welcome

Good analysis.

I am pretty confident we'll win la liga. Also with Gundogan. Once Mbappe arrives things will change.

El Gato

Villarato!
Only issue at fullback is with Carvajal and that's mainly because of a rotten RB market. Fran is a good get for the other side but Carlo seems keen on not burning him up too much too early. Can see him becoming a very good diamond LB. Already known to be very good with ball at his feet going forward

Think we should do 4-2-3-1 if we cant get Mbappe this summer. But that implies at least one midfielder getting permaglued to the bench

On the notion of mid like Kroos - I think Tchouameni can be that. Likes to zing it and even prefers taking players on than passing to nearest player that could do it better. But he's instead being stuck in that role where he's supposed to cover for fullbacks and other mids with ball expected at Camavinga or other players feet

We just look awful whenever lose the ball right now which is the biggest issue and it won't go away cuz it's only solved with time and getting players used to new shape and finding their spots of where and when to press

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Rodrygo up front. Behind Vini left Jude middle who is on right?
I'd do either Rodry CF Brahim/Guler RW
Or Joselu CF Rodrygo RW
And Fede would do lots of his usual overlaps from RCM like he tends to whenever in 4-3-3 swapping with Modric anyway

Either way that better than having two wingers trying to figure out where the other is on a move towards the ball incoming from the wing

That's for Mbappe less team
With Mbappe I'd play Mbappe RW
Could work wonders if convinced to play like for France 2018 team

Horatio

You're welcome
I'd do either Rodry CF Brahim/Guler RW
Or Joselu CF Rodrygo RW
And Fede would do lots of his usual overlaps from RCM like he tends to whenever in 4-3-3 swapping with Modric anyway

Either way that better than having two wingers trying to figure out where the other is on a move towards the ball incoming from the wing

That's for Mbappe less team
With Mbappe I'd play Mbappe RW
Could work wonders if convinced to play like for France 2018 team
Yes. I figured Valverde was the obvious pick for RW. Usually does well there. Thought slight chance Camavinga would be squeezed in there. Completely forgot you have Joselu. Otherwise indeed Joselu up front and Rodrgyo RW makes also sense.

Home of Barca Fans