Penal Madrid

Autumn

I'm so embarrassed that we're still trailing this team.

Great effort by Deportivo, deserved a better scoreline. I'm surprised Isco is getting so much praise for this match. As great as his goal was, he gave the ball away very cheaply near his own defensive third multiple times, which is the kind of mistake that can easily lose you a game. He also didn't add that much. No real penetrative dribbles or passes, just pretty bland play with some sloppy attempts at defending.

On the other hand Marcelo seems to becoming such a key part of this Madrid team. He almost reminds me of the role Messi has been taking on for us recently. Coming deep from the wing with some great long balls/crosses. I think he's definitely been the most dangerous offensive force these past few games that he has been in. An injury to him would have been really horrible for Madrid especially with Coentrão out, but it sounds like Anceloti is saying he's going to be fine: "Ha tenido un golpe que le ha dormido el nervio y por esto no ha seguido jugando. Está bien y podrá jugar sin problemas." (He hurt his nerve so we took him out. He's good and should be able to play without problems.)

CuleLife4Life

^^ I thought it was the opposite. Marcelo was so-so to me today and Isco did great. Ran his heart out and at one point had a great defensive clearing when it looked like Deportivo were threatening. It will be very interesting to see what happens when James comes back. I don't think there is a manager in the world that would knowingly bench Isco or not start him in an important CL match.

Still Marcelo has become an important part of this side. I still think Coentrao is the better defender but RM look stale with him compared to Marcelo. Also Coentrao is injury prone and it looks like Madrid will let him go this summer.

I turned the game off after Benzema's goal. How did Lucas Silva play? I've always wanted him to get a call up to the senior side when he played at Cruzeiro. He and Rafinha are 2 very important pieces for our midfield in the future.

Icarium

Lifestealer
If only that freak game against Celta hadn't happened. :shakeshead:

The way they're playing now, Real deserve 3rd place in LL at best.

Nope, they don't deserve 3rd too. Villarreal are playing better, i haven't seen valencia play so don't know about them. Real are a complete mess right now, they will improve but how much they will improve depends on the modric.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

If Ancelotti gets sacked, then I'm 85% sure that they will Zidane the job. They're desperate to have their own "Pep."

Speaking of Ancelotti, a few days ago he essentially said that he would like to manage Bayern in the future. Once Pep decide's to leave, which he will at some point, I'd take Ancelotti any day of the week as 1st choice successor.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Ancelotti to Bayern, Pep to United, Zidane for Madrid all in about 1-2 years. All seems quite plausible tbh. For some reason I feel like Mou feels really comfortable at Chelsea and won't want to leave anytime soon. Fingers crossed that Lucho proves to be the coach we need and extends his stay for a number of years as well. It'll work out well in the end since Florentino's obsession with Zidane will likely come out unrewarded :lol:.

CuleLife4Life

La Liga is based on points not on how you're playing at the moment. How in the world do Real deserve 3rd place or we should be above them because we're playing better at the moment? Our objective needs to be to continue to accumulate points. RM aren't playing great and besides losses to bigger teams like Atletico&Valencia, they continue to scrape by and get points against lower teams.

The Celta and La Real games were such stupid displays of easy points lost and it would kill me if we lose La Liga because of those games. For us, El Clasico is must win but for Real they could leave with a tie and be ok. Last season taught us that each and every point matters especially since we lost the title on the last day.

What bothers me the most is that they are about to slowly get their best players back with Pepe this week & Modric in the next 2 weeks. Kroos is about to get his rest since Ancelotti has said he thinks Silva is ready to start some games. In La Liga, we've seen form is temporary for teams like us and Madrid. The time for them to drop points was/is now until the middle of March because barring another injury, they'll have their strongest XI for El Clasico and the last 2 months of the season.

CuleLife4Life

I'm very curious to see what happens with Isco when everyone is back healthy. There were even Isco chants in the game today and they were in Germany.

James may cost more but ISco getting benched will open up a whole new can of worms for Carlo & Perez. And I cant wait!! :lol:

Autumn

Well, no big improvements. I see Elche putting up more of a fight this weekend than Schalke.

Surely, they're bound to drop points soon if they continue at this quality.

Home of Barca Fans