Penal Madrid

F

Flavia

Even this?
Florentino Pérez: "Most important thing is being the best in the world, not win the league by 69 points and lose in the QF of UCL."

Yes, he said that. That it's more important to be the #1 club in the world, than winning la liga with 69 points, and then lose in the 1/8 of the cl. Getting to the cl semis is also more important to him.

[tw]641742774883237888[/tw]

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
These RM guys talking about la decima... Making it sound like just because their CL win happened to be no. 10 they are the greatest team ever or something. They should think about the guys in the 50s that won the first five trophies making RM a legendary club and giving them the possibility to chase for such a historic number.
If you look at the legacy of Di Stefano, Munoz or Gento compared to the accomplishments of the current squad (or even last decade) it is laughable how respected the current team is.

Cule4life

The Culest
These RM guys talking about la decima... Making it sound like just because their CL win happened to be no. 10 they are the greatest team ever or something. They should think about the guys in the 50s that won the first five trophies making RM a legendary club and giving them the possibility to chase for such a historic number.

If you look at the legacy of Di Stefano, Munoz or Gento compared to the accomplishments of the current squad (or even last decade) it is laughable how respected the current team is.

Those first five trophies are tinpot to by his standards

Last edited:

Morten

Nah, team is great, but barca is destined to win everything ever. Cant do anything about that, its just not ment to be.

BarcaOG

Banned
Has anyone seen Di Stefano's Madrid play? Real Madrid TV replayed the fifth European Cup final that Madrid disputed, the 7-3 victory over Eintracht Frankfurt in 1960, and I was astonished at how amateurishly both sides played. There is this myth that Madrid's 1950's team was unstoppable, when in fact, if you see the replay, it is evident that the competitiveness, difficulty and professionalism of both football and the European Cup were very very raw.

Really. Watch the match. Players on both sides take surprisingly poor and rough touches; the level of athleticism is not very high, and there is little sense of tactical aptitude in either team's approach. Today's Barca and Madrid are both vastly superior. If our current Barcelona side had played then, they could conceivably have won 10 or more titles.

valk

Has anyone seen Di Stefano's Madrid play? Real Madrid TV replayed the fifth European Cup final that Madrid disputed, the 7-3 victory over Eintracht Frankfurt in 1960, and I was astonished at how amateurishly both sides played. There is this myth that Madrid's 1950's team was unstoppable, when in fact, if you see the replay, it is evident that the competitiveness, difficulty and professionalism of both football and the European Cup were very very raw.

Really. Watch the match. Players on both sides take surprisingly poor and rough touches; the level of athleticism is not very high, and there is little sense of tactical aptitude in either team's approach. Today's Barca and Madrid are both vastly superior. If our current Barcelona side had played then, they could conceivably have won 10 or more titles.

Most stupid comment I've ever read and that says something. It's impossible to compare 2 teams or 2 players that compete in 2 completely different eras on the basis. If Pepcelona played back then, in the 50's they would have had the same conditions as Di Stefano's Madrid had. We're talking about 60 years. The diets, the pitches, the balls, everything is different, more improved and developed. Just think about how many tech breakthroughs emerged in the last 10 years. Let alone 60 years. It's like saying that the current Apple engineers are smarter than Steve Jobs since the latter didn't invent a dual core tablet in 84.

Morten

Silly stuff. It might well be that they wouldnt hold up to todays standards, but that doesnt take away from what they did. They dominated football in that era, no small feat.

BarcaOG

Banned
I knew I would receive negative comments. Sure, in their own particular context they excelled and certainly deserved their triumphs, but that is not to say that that Madrid side cannot be criticized or compared to later teams. Even if it's been half a century, it's the same sport, bar some changes in the rule book. By that logic we should never compare players who play different positions or different teams across history. But we do that constantly, and there's no reason why we couldn't in this case.

What I'm saying is this: 1) it is clear (if you watch the replay or other matches from the time) that football is more competitive and professional today. This is only natural given the time that has elapsed, and it is a good thing. 2) In light of that, it is difficult to universalize or absolutize the players of the time as some of the greatest ever. At the very least, such claims require important qualifications.

Trickykid

Silly stuff. It might well be that they wouldnt hold up to todays standards, but that doesnt take away from what they did. They dominated football in that era, no small feat.

And yet, a feat made just a tad smaller when a crazed dictator has your back.

Morten

I knew I would receive negative comments. Sure, in their own particular context they excelled and certainly deserved their triumphs, but that is not to say that that Madrid side cannot be criticized or compared to later teams. Even if it's been half a century, it's the same sport, bar some changes in the rule book. By that logic we should never compare players who play different positions or different teams across history. But we do that constantly, and there's no reason why we couldn't in this case.

What I'm saying is this: 1) it is clear (if you watch the replay or other matches from the time) that football is more competitive and professional today. This is only natural given the time that has elapsed, and it is a good thing. 2) In light of that, it is difficult to universalize or absolutize the players of the time as some of the greatest ever. At the very least, such claims require important qualifications.

Any team can be criticized, heck, Peps Barca needed a fair bit of luck going to the final, and hence, winning the treble. If you think all that has changed since the 50s is a few rule changes i suggest you get up to date quickly, its quite a bit more than that. And no, its not fair to compare great players of entirely different eras against each other either imo, without looking at the proper context.

F

Flavia

And yet, your dominance started with a great deal of luck/ref mistakes(Chelski 2009), a feat smaller than it really was. I can do that too m8.

Yeah, franco's time can be compared to whatever happened in 2009. Perfect logic.

Trickykid

And yet, your dominance started with a great deal of luck/ref mistakes(Chelski 2009), a feat smaller than it really was. I can do that too m8.

Wait, did you just compare Øvrebø's horror show to Franco's involvement in Real Madrid?

No, you can't possibly have...

Right?

Shiieet, you actually did! :lol:

Home of Barca Fans