Pep Guardiola

Manuel Traquete

The reactions in this thread are a disgrace. So just because we lost the league and the Champions League this season, it suddenly erases everything Pep has done at this club. He has won 13 of his first 16 trophies, did more in 3 years than most managers do in a lifetime. Not to mention that even after these last two results, his balance is not only positive but incredible: 14 trophies in 19 assuming we beat Athletic in the Copa final.

Not to mention that Pep is being criticized for being narrowly eliminated in the semis of the CL. Are you people kidding me? We were reaching the final (or even the semis) every year before Pep arrived, weren't we :shakeshead: ?

Ironically, people asking for Pep's head are doing it because he didn't meet expectations that wouldn't even exist if Pep hadn't taken over in 2008 and had such unprecedented success. Any real culé, who has supporting the club for long or at least knows and appreciates the club's history, will be fully behind Pep. Anything else is crazy.

B

beautifulgame

But now is the time to criticize. The team has showed just how mortal it is, there's nothing wrong with that but it's time to learn from the sense of entitlement that Barca, their fans, and yes their coach have showed all season long. There is really nothing defendable about that game. It happens, but it means learn from it, not bury your head in the sand.

This doesn't mean it's time to fire Pep and take Xavi and Puyol to the back of the shed to be shot, obviously. The overreaction is hilarious but quite expected. But we got to be honest here. Pep was guilty of over-managing this season, and I hope he learns from it.

I'm all for calling a spade a spade, in that respect I do agree.

Pep is worn out and that isn't something we can get on him about. If anyone has been complacent, it is some of the players.

Pep did all we can really ask for by coming up with new ideas to overcome the obstacles that have impeded our way in the past. Missing out on two major trophies by a couple of miss-kicks really isn't that much of a travesty.

Finally, sometlhing really simple could have saved the season, like one of our main centerbacks for the last two years being available or Villa being available.

With that said, we should scrutinize some of the plans that didn't pan like you stated.

But let's keep in mind this guy has really done what no one has in modern football.

The main reason Mourinho knows not to stick around any team is because he isn't nearly is that he has no new ideas to offer.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Pep as a Barca legend doesn't need an advocate around here. This thing is going as stupid as those who wanting him out.

Pep IS stubborn, there's no doubt about it. He makes mistakes and is usually very stubborn to change it or he does that when it's too late. Not strengthening the defence in the summer, not signing any forward in Januray when Villa was ruled out for the season and instead playing some bunch of kids upfront, this change of tactics and bringing in the 3-4-3 just to fit an unnecessary signing in, making late subs... he shares some of the blames for the failures this season, but so do the players.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
No one is above criticism as HBA said...

But blaming it all on Pep is blasphemy... He did few mistakes, probably been doing them through out his coaching career(not having enough squad depth is indeed foolish). In a funny way, I'm glad we actually under-achieved according to the high standards set by Pep himself. I have a feeling this set back would spur him on to work on his mistakes and achieve even greater things

B

beautifulgame

You fool, to be create anything new you have to be stubborn. Let's not forget that is an important feature of character of any genius in history.

B

beautifulgame

Haha. I just say wait a day or two Nolan.

We have an influx of irrational posters that haven't watched football very long ranting about x, y and z.

For me, the 3-4-3 was coming at the end of the season. What's interesting is it took the discovery of two new young players to show it's potential.

These three matches would have panned out differently if either Billa or Pique had been available. Shit, even our discussion wouldn't be happening right now had Vicky not knocked out Pique. :)

Manuel Traquete

Pep as a Barca legend doesn't need an advocate around here. This thing is going as stupid as those who wanting him out.

Pep IS stubborn, there's no doubt about it. He makes mistakes and is usually very stubborn to change it or he does that when it's too late. Not strengthening the defence in the summer, not signing any forward in Januray when Villa was ruled out for the season and instead playing some bunch of kids upfront, this change of tactics and bringing in the 3-4-3 just to fit an unnecessary signing in, making late subs... he shares some of the blames for the failures this season, but so do the players.

But the things is that it is only a "failure" because of the standards Pep himself set. Before Pep arrived, getting as many points as we did in La Liga, winning three/four trophies and reaching the CL semis (being eliminated in a very narrow tie) would be considered a great season.

We expect to win all the time because of what we've been doing under Pep, but that's the exception not the rule. Losing these two competitions this year doesn't prove that he is a bad manager, only that he is human.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
3-4-3 ain't dead but it should be used far more conservatively. Barca's version is still very much a work in progress. I definitely don't like it with a midget midfield.

What should be dead, is the Xaviestabregas experiment. 2/3 please, not all 3.

Chainsaw

Killahead
But the things is that it is only a "failure" because of the standards Pep himself set. Before Pep arrived, getting as many points as we did in La Liga, winning three/four trophies and reaching the CL semis (being eliminated in a very narrow tie) would be considered a great season.

We expect to win all the time because of what we've been doing under Pep, but that's the exception not the rule. Losing these two competitions this year doesn't prove that he is a bad manager, only that he is human.

Ofc we are talking about the standards expected from THIS Barca. Definitely wasn't talking about Atletico, or Athletic or teams like that.

B

beautifulgame

3-4-3 ain't dead but it should be used far more conservatively. Barca's version is still very much a work in progress. I definitely don't like it with a midget midfield.

What should be dead, is the Xaviestabregas experiment. 2/3 please, not all 3.

goddamn right.

your dead on about the priorities that needed to realized before cesc or ibra the season before.

Razor: This Barca is predicated on Pep. So, you cannot have it's standards without realizing that Pep in large part gave you the succes to imagine these standards.

Endavant

“I noticed that people didn’t congratulate me. People thanked me. I didn’t know the difference, but I do now”
— Pep guardiola

What does this mean?

It's a show of respect. Thanking him for what he has achieved and created with Barca, because that is what has brought meaning to Chelsea's victory.

Home of Barca Fans