Pepe

Der Kaiser

Yup, while Barca keeps Montoya on the bench even when Alves is underperforming, and Bartra the same amidst all the defensive problems. I mean, not bashing anybody here, but to make a comparison: Pepe and Ramos absent, Real shows faith in young Varane. And in Catalonia, injury crisis to the back four, Barca plays a fullback and midfielder in central defense. While having young prospect Bartra on the bench.

Now tell me who destroys their kids...

P.S: only replying to this specific case, before you start mentioning how many homegrown cantera each has, etc...

yeah completely ignore that Varane was actually bought for a pretty big sum and Bartra is a youth product. Who cares right? Buying players is just the same as growing them at home for the capital club.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Yup, while Barca keeps Montoya on the bench even when Alves is underperforming, and Bartra the same amidst all the defensive problems. I mean, not bashing anybody here, but to make a comparison: Pepe and Ramos absent, Real shows faith in young Varane. And in Catalonia, injury crisis to the back four, Barca plays a fullback and midfielder in central defense. While having young prospect Bartra on the bench.

P.S: only replying to this specific case, before you start mentioning how many homegrown cantera each has, etc...
Varane has been performing decently for his age... But one good match he plays and he's already done enough to deserve a starting berth!! Now that's the kind of stuff that creates innumerable amount of pressure on the youngsters, stuff that kills talents like Canales.

You see most of us are really happy how Montoya is being 'eased into' the first team action instead of getting thrusted into the first team!!
Same with Thiago... He's arguebly the most exciting young talent in the world, he's had more number of excellant games than Varane's total number of appearances for Real. But you won't see people demanding that Thiago deserves a starting berth!!

Catch my drift? But I can see where you are coming from... I mean there's an emerging talent in your squad, albeit bought from outside for a huge amount of money, after a really long time! I can understand why you want him to start more often!!

Last edited:

barca7788

Nepali Cule
varane definitely has earned his starting place imo. ramos should be moved back to RB. every match varane has played he's been very very good.
and thiago is overrated here which is understandable this being barcaforum. wilshere is the most exiciting youth player n even isco.

BarcaGirl

varane definitely has earned his starting place imo. ramos should be moved back to RB. every match varane has played he's been very very good.
and thiago is overrated here which is understandable this being barcaforum. wilshere is the most exiciting youth player n even isco.

Mario Götze > everyone else

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
again... Thiago is "arguebly" the most exciting young player in the world

PearLBLacK

Banned
yeah completely ignore that Varane was actually bought for a pretty big sum and Bartra is a youth product. Who cares right? Buying players is just the same as growing them at home for the capital club.

And that matters how? Read the last couple of posts, and the post scriptum i put in my last post, we weren't discussing homegrown or bought, but reward hard work or not.
Varane has been performing decently for his age... But one good match he plays and he's already done enough to deserve a starting berth!! Now that's the kind of stuff that creates innumerable amount of pressure on the youngsters, stuff that kills talents like Canales.

You see most of us are really happy how Montoya is being 'eased into' the first team action instead of getting thrusted into the first team!!
Same with Thiago... He's arguebly the most exciting young talent in the world, he's had more number of excellant games than Varane's total number of appearances for Real. But you won't see people demanding that Thiago deserves a starting berth!!

Catch my drift? But I can see where you are coming from... I mean there's an emerging talent in your squad, albeit bought from outside for a huge amount of money, after a really long time! I can understand why you want him to start more often!!

Thiago's case is different, he's competing with the world's best in his position. Regardless of how he's been performing, no way he deserves a starting place in Xavi or Iniesta's expense. No?

Varane on the other hand is competing with Pepe and Ramos, who are world class defenders but make numerous mistakes as well. If Pepe was underperforming, and recently back from injury, while Varane has been performing brilliantly, then there's no problem in rewarding Varane's hard work with a spot on the 11.

As for ruining prospects by heaping too much pressure on them, I agree 100%, that's what ruined Canales and Bojan. But remember this: Varane was thrown into a tough CL match against Man City while Ramos was on the bench. How much more pressurizing can it get? Underperform, and no only does he lose a chance to prove his worth, but might also lose the team's faith in him, one of the most important factors to a youngster's development. And more recently, he displayed a man of the match performance in a Clasico, his first one.

Like Graham Hunter said, "Stop, already, with the use of the phrase "he's going to be a world-class defender in the future." He is now."

He's a completely different player mentally than Montoya. While Montoya was wasting a couple of golden chances in his first Clasicos, this beast rose to the occasion and outjumped Pique to head his first Clasico goal.

Ursegor

World Champion
Graham Hunter is the same sensationalist who said that Dongou is more impressive than Messi was at the same age, right? Dongou who can't get into Barca B's first XI in the Segunda.

this beast rose to the occasion and outjumped Pique to head his first Clasico goal.

Pique is a pussy though. For a 6.3 ft. guy his headers both offensively and defensively are :facepalm:.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that Varane basically got MOTM for dealing with 2 pussies. The last man tackle on Fabregas and outjumping Pique (with Fabregas interfering there as well). Would have certainly ended 3-0 for Barcelona with Villa upfront and Bartra in the backline, no doubt. :coffee:

Nestor

He defenitely is back ! When he stomp that player yesterday people will deny it like with messi but it wasnt a "misstake" yet again.. How man players that is lieing down walk on or kicked on ? Pepe plays so much uglier than sergio ramos but its always ramos who gets the red

Maria

:lol: First of all you conveniently forget Adriano, that had played his best football in the first half of season and that Dani has been very good this year(not at the level that he had until 2011, but certainly better than what he showed in 2012). And even so, Montoya played 1084 minutes this season. Meanwhile, Rm sold Carvajal and used a DM and a CB when an underperforming Arbeloa couldn't play. Also Tello who has Iniesta, Villa, Pedro and Alexis in front of him played 976 minutes, while Thiago who is competting with the best midfielders in the world and had 2 injuries played 1084 minutes. But hey, let just say that the big club that has the most faith in the canteranos is in fact destroying them.
A specific case, but yet you choose to say that Barca is destroying kids when you probably didn't even watched Bartra for more than 3 games..and by the way Marc is certainly not the Maradona and Zidane of the CBs and keeping in mind that Tito knows better than me or you(Tito, who is in his first season as Barca's coach and has to deal with a terrible desease and who leaves in his place a person that has only 6months of experience at this level) and that Bartra didn't impressed me at the B team more than JDS I would say that nobody is destroying him.

He's a completely different player mentally than Montoya. While Montoya was wasting a couple of golden chances in his first Clasicos, this beast rose to the occasion and outjumped Pique to head his first Clasico goal.

Lol at the whole comparison and at the golden chances that Montoya supposedly had..it was one golden chance in the supercup and one shot from distance that hit the crossbar in the league. Jordi had bigger chances in the supercup and in the cup and just because he failed to score a goal I won't say that he's mentally weak.

But I can see where you are coming from... I mean there's an emerging talent in your squad, albeit bought from outside for a huge amount of money, after a really long time! I can understand why you want him to start more often!!
I wouldn't say that they brought him for a huge amount of money, especially when Barca paid half of that money for Rodri and Kiko.
Graham Hunter is the same sensationalist who said that Dongou is more impressive than Messi was at the same age, right? Dongou who can't get into Barca B's first XI in the Segunda.

:facepalm:
He also said that Thiago is leaving to England in the summer. :facepalm:

He defenitely is back ! When he stomp that player yesterday people will deny it like with messi but it wasnt a "misstake" yet again.. How man players that is lieing down walk on or kicked on ? Pepe plays so much uglier than sergio ramos but its always ramos who gets the red

What do you expect when you hear that Santiago Bernabeu is encouraging him with 'Pepe matalo'? Spain is disgusting regarding this and unfortunately now that the Boixos Nois are returning to Camp Nou we will hear similar things during Barca's games.

Last edited:

Yugi

PearlBlack, overyhyping too much? yeah Varane was sensational in this one clasico etc etc but take a grip seriously

Home of Barca Fans