Philippe Coutinho

JamDav1982

If he performs even half-decently we will be desperate to keep him. Yes, he's had a terrible time at Barca but he's a big name in the PL still where his reputation is better so he'd have to be truly terrible for us not to make it permanent.

3 years ago we were getting beat by Peterborough 3-1 with shite like Keinan Davis and Conor Hourihane starting for us. To have a player like Coutinho is a massive coup for us.

For 35-40m?

Cant see it happening for that almost no matter how he plays.

Unless is so good other bigger teams willing to pay it... or Newcastle should they stay up.

Birdy

They surely can. But I can't see anyone spending that much on Coutinho. I don't think he's worth that kind of money, especially at 30.

I think he'll have to be very good these upcoming months for them to consider it. I am doubtful tbh.

I don't think it's ''that much'', give Grealish momey and what Jammy indicates also

My concerns will be
1) his contract demands
2) competition from other (better) PL teams like Arsenal or Spurs

About 1, I think he will gain some sanity and realize he can't get the same contract he was getting here, so he will compromise with less money.
But if there is interest in the summer from teams in 2, I can see him trashing Villa, agreeing with them, and then Barca having a really hard time agreeing on a transfer fee with these clubs (which would want to take advantage of the situation and get him for 0 money)

fergus90

For 35-40m?

Cant see it happening for that almost no matter how he plays.

Unless is so good other bigger teams willing to pay it... or Newcastle should they stay up.

We spent 30million on Danny Ings who's at a similar stage in his career so I think we would pay up. But I'd be more inclined to think Coutinho will want to use it as a stepping stone to a more competitive team in the league should he be succesful.

JamDav1982

It can benefit him to sign contract in summer for even less than he gets at Barca.

Sign a good contract for another three years for example and have that security..past 2023 when if his stock has fallen again could be on peanuts after that and no decent team offering a deal.

The problem is he will know how desperate Barca are to get rid and wont wait all summer playing cat and mouse. Most likely wanting as much of his salary off books asap.

JamDav1982

We spent 30million on Danny Ings who's at a similar stage in his career so I think we would pay up. But I'd be more inclined to think Coutinho will want to use it as a stepping stone to a more competitive team in the league should he be succesful.

Cant see it but Ings at just turned 29 and been class in EPL for less is different.

There would have to be pressure from other clubs for Villa to entertain paying that. They are not daft and know situation Barca are in.

iniestaGOAT

I don't think it's ''that much'', give Grealish momey and what Jammy indicates also

My concerns will be
1) his contract demands
2) competition from other (better) PL teams like Arsenal or Spurs

About 1, I think he will gain some sanity and realize he can't get the same contract he was getting here, so he will compromise with less money.
But if there is interest in the summer from teams in 2, I can see him trashing Villa, agreeing with them, and then Barca having a really hard time agreeing on a transfer fee with these clubs (which would want to take advantage of the situation and get him for 0 money)

Nah, he will be aiming for one last long 5 years contract depending on his perfomrance.

Either Villa gives it to him or someone else, but it will have to be next season. cant afford to wait one for year warming the bench at barca then hes 31

Andresito

Staff member
For us to get 35m would be a huge W. I've been mentally ready to see him go for max 10m, even for free considering his wages.

I personally have nothing against Coutinho, he's always been professional and has never acted idiotic at Barca. His mental barrier is what it is and some players just doesn't have what it takes to be consistent at world class level.

But I'd be very careful paying that much for him if I were Villa.
Like has been said, he needs to explode these months, and probably be Villa's best player for me to feel a slight regret of selling him. But at the moment those 35m are a lot more advantageous to us compared to Villa.

khaled_a_d

I dont see Coutinho lowering his wages though, so good chances he is back in the summer and were looking for another loan. So lets hope he performs well enough.

Players can always lower their wage if it means more long term money.
If he do well there, which I doubt, it will be last chance to fool a team for 3 or 4 years contract.
Better than going back to Barca's bench and wait till you are 31 to fibd only club interested is in Brazil

Windhook

Some reports say Villa are paying around 65% of his salary, which is good enough for Barca to register Ferran Torres.

Aston Villa will likely pay his clause in the summer. I expect Coutinho to play more efficiently in PL, which is more suitable to his style. We witnessed twice, once he arrived and then after the Bayern loan, that he cannot adjust to Barca's style.

Last edited:

Messi983

Most important thing is he stays fit and plays well so if Villa won't use their option (very unlikely, if they'll want to keep him they'll probably try to renegotiate a lower fee) another PL club will go for him.

I don't think players can refuse buy options. Never heard of a deal breaking down because of it. But I could be wrong.

Players always have the final word where they'll sign. So if clubs agree to include buy options then players should know and also be ok with that (unless they are stupid and/or they have bad agents which is ofc also possible). They probably also agree on provisional wages etc. in case buy option is used. Not sure if it has happened but at least in theory when it comes to non-obligatory buy options I don't think there is anything to actually prevent a player to change his mind if he has a great loan spell and gets offers from other clubs for example.

If it's an obligatory purchase option then of course that's another thing.

BBC reporting Villa are paying less than half Coutinho salary.

Probably meant less than half of his total salary for this season because we've already paid him for 6 months.

Mateka

Henry Winter is a well respected journalist in the UK.

Jan 7, 2022
Huge opportunity for Coutinho. His career has drifted, partly injuries (meniscus) and not what Barca needed when signed. Gerrard knows him and believes in him. Be fascinating to see if Coutinho finds his old Liverpool form. If he does, Coutinho could prove inspirational for #AVFC

Aston Villa
@AVFCOfficial
Welcome, Philippe Coutinho!

Aston Villa and FC Barcelona have agreed terms for Philippe Coutinho to spend the rest of this season on loan at Villa Park.

Henry Winter
@henrywinter

Seems a good deal for #AVFC who are understood to be paying less than half his weekly wage.

Home of Barca Fans