Premier League 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qonny

You mean competetiveness against the top clubs? Mid-table teams will stay mid-table teams, and will never do any real harm against the top clubs. When the english mid-teams do damage against the top teams, it's because the top teams are bad, not the other way around.

I think the strenght of the mid-table teams, the euro-spots challengers, and the top-table teams are stronger overall in the LaLiga.

Sure, you will find Real Madrid getting beaten by mid-table teams in LaLiga as well, but that happens more rarely than in the premier league.

JamDav1982

Disagree strongly. The mid table teams in la liga are incredibly weak.

For me Mid table is from 7th to 14th. Above 7th is challenging for european places and below 14th is fighting not to get into relegation. Thus Getafe, Sevilla, Espanyol, Elche, Valencia, Granada, Levante, Malaga. Against Everton, Newcastle, Spurs, Swansea, WBA, Villa, Hull, Stoke.

Objectively I find it hard to say that those La Liga clubs are stronger. Take away the weakest two from the pack. Elche, Granada and Hull and Stoke and it's even stronger objectively in favour of the premier league.

So I struggle to how you can get that view point I really do.

I am not discussing technique and skill here because La Liga is of course of technically superior but into terms of league strength and competitiveness I find it very hard to see how you get your point of view.

Take a look at the players that have come out of mid table La Liga teams in the past few years and compare them to those in the EPL.

Most of those Spanish teams you have mentioned would beat those same EPL teams and quite easily at that.

Not sure how you have decided on who are the top seven in each league either.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
The only teams who would probably be worse in that selection are Hull and maybe Stoke, all the other teams have to be better than their counterparts, especially Everton, Newcastle, and as much as I hate to say it Spurs.

Take a look at the players that have come out of mid table La Liga teams in the past few years and compare them to those in the EPL.

That has nothing to do with anything.

Not sure how you have decided on who are the top seven in each league either.

He used the current tables.

JamDav1982

The only teams who would probably be worse in that selection are Hull and maybe Stoke, all the other teams have to be better than their counterparts, especially Everton, Newcastle, and as much as I hate to say it Spurs.

That has nothing to do with anything.

He used the current tables.

Current tables dont tell the whole story at all. Spurs have easily been one of the top 6 teams in England and will be again this season.

Newcastle are not better than Sevilla at all and there is little between Getafe and Everton.

You are rating EPL teams far too highly.

Ketoth

There is no way la liga midtable teams are better than EPL midtable teams. Celtic would be a midtable EPL team (were they to play in the EPL) and yet Barcelona have struggled against them the past two years.

Swansea beat Valencia 3-0 at the Mestalla.

Ghost

Sevilla of this season I wouldn't say is better than it's EPL counterpart(s). But if you add back Navas + Negredo... that's a different story.

Same goes for Valenica and Bilbao. They are shit this season, but not 2-3 years ago.

Both leagues are in decline tbh..

Ghost

Swansea beat Valencia 3-0 at the Mestalla.
Valencia is trash this season. Everyone knows that.

Call me when Swansea beats Real/Barca like Atleti and Bilbao beat United and City 2 years ago..

And yes, I know those 2 are of way higher caliber than Swansea, but since the latter qualified for EL, I'm just comparing thier results...

Ketoth

Valencia is trash this season. Everyone knows that.

Call me when Swansea beats Real/Barca like Atleti and Bilbao beat United and City 2 years ago..

You and I both know manu and city don't care about the Europa league. Valencia is 11th in la liga, Swansea are 10th in the premier league. Therefore it is a fair comparison.

Ketoth

As for the lower clubs... Sunderland (who are bottom of the table) beat mancity 1-0, and the next premier league game mancity go on to beat Tottenham 6-0.

EPL logic.

mancity have yet to impress in the champions league, but manu, arsenal and chelsea all have in recent times.

Ghost

You and I both know manu and city don't care about the Europa league. Valencia is 11th in la liga, Swansea are 10th in the premier league. Therefore it is a fair comparison.
So they tanked thier matches?

Atleti spanked Chelsea. What about that..?

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Newcastle are not better than Sevilla at all and there is little between Getafe and Everton.

That's just untrue, Newcastle when on-form are a very good team, as they showed against the Spurs and Chelsea, and Everton are absolutely better than Getafe, do you really think that they would lose 7-0 to Atletico? They haven't lost at all this season (or lost once), and beat both Chelsea and Manchester City.

Swansea is nowhere as good as Atletico and Bilbao were two years ago, and United and City were nowhere as good as Barca and Real are now.

Ghost

Swansea is nowhere as good as Atletico and Bilbao were two years ago, and United and City were nowhere as good as Barca and Real are now.
I know.
I'm just comparing thier EL results.

Spurs aren't bad, eh? Let's see if they're gonna win it like Sevilla or Atleti..

pEllee

This dicussion never seems to end. I'm fine with saying that the technical quality of the football is better in La Liga. The midtable teams are still not a worthy opponents to the likes of Barcelona. The majority of the teams are just tactically naive against the top teams. It's almost embarrising to see how poor some of the teams are defensively.
True, there's a huge difference in quality between the teams but that's also the case in the Premier League. To a lesser extent perhaps but you still get plenty of "unexpected results". Thanks to determination, tactics and little bit of luck.
That should happen more often in La Liga.

The quality of the football is great, but it's still NOT a great league. There's no excitement at all...

Last edited:

Ketoth

The premier league has a good atmosphere too. From top to bottom every club has a good support, be it home fans or away fans. The atmosphere of the crowd encourages the players to up the tempo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans