Quique Setien

khaled_a_d

That's what EV had been doing, though, and people hated him. They are cut from the same cloth

Which is a great thing to do.
And let's remember that this is real life, Bartou is the president and Abidal is our sporting director.
There is no rebuild, no board will start rebuild in its last year, they will leave it for next term.
Our choices is to bring a no name coach to get fired midway in the season to be replaced by another no name. Or someone to help us try to win Liga one last time with what we have in hand.

Everyone wants the new project to start now, but you are a fool if you really think it is happening under Bartou.

PS: Allegri isn't coming anyway because of language barrier.

Andrew M

Shitverde didn't have the mentality or personality of a big manager. I agreed with some of his tactical tweeks like the switch to the 442 but the defense was still weak, fitness was bad and he was a door mat for the amigos.

He may not have the personality to lead a big club but that didn't change the outcome of two league titles in a row.

Allegri would take the same approach as EV. He would assess the state of the squad and evaluate the best tactical approach. It would be boring to watch.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
While Valverde took a pragmatic approach with the squad, the way he treated some players was just plain bad. He was never the right solution despite the trophies he won.

But the bigger blame lies on Bartomeu.

Morten

While Valverde took a pragmatic approach with the squad, the way he treated some players was just plain bad. He was never the right solution despite the trophies he won.

Probably would have been 3 in a row if he stayed, as he knew the limitations of the Squad, which Setien, at least initially, didnt.

FinBarcelonafan

Fuck Valverde and his no control and getting saved by Messi football.

Setien is fine, this league loss is due to Madrids performance not really Barcas. Valverdes record in the league when he was sacked: 12-4-3. Setien since then in the league: 12-3-3.

Madrids record in the first 19 games: 11-7-1 and Madrids record since then: 15-1-2.

Good point. Madrid was over the top good this time.

DonAK

Probably would have been 3 in a row if he stayed, as he knew the limitations of the Squad, which Setien, at least initially, didnt.

We had our worst points total in a long time at the point Valverde was fired. I doubt we would have won the league even with him. We were trending in the wrong direction all season.

Andrew M

I agree EV should have been sacked after Liverpool, but replacing with Allegri makes no sense given people hated our style of play under Valverde. Allegri is a pragmatist.

It's as though losing the league to Madrid, who play pretty defensive and dull football, made people start to appreciate winning the league again.

We need someone who the players respect and who will feel the responsibility to play beautiful football. It's our brand and what we are known for.

khaled_a_d

I agree EV should have been sacked after Liverpool, but replacing with Allegri makes no sense given people hated our style of play under Valverde. Allegri is a pragmatist.

Give it a year or two with no Liga titles and people would gladly accept a worse Barca football if it means titles.
Same thing happened with RM, they fired Capello because he wasn't entertaining enough.
2 years of Barca Liga dominance and they were all happy to hire Mourinho.

DonAK

Give it a year or two with no Liga titles and people would gladly accept a worse Barca football if it means titles.
Same thing happened with RM, they fired Capello because he wasn't entertaining enough.

The football they played with Mourinho was good apart from vs. Barca and Bayern until his last season.

Lightning quick counter attack football. Scored loads of goals.

Andrew M

I see your point but I think Madrid's institutional attitude and identity is more about winning than anything.

Our identity, or philosophy, is closely associated with style. I'm not saying it must be 80% possession all the time, but I believe it would be a mistake to deviate from attractive football for the sake potential short term success.

DonAK

It's time Barto gets his hands dirty and forces some players out by whatever means necessary. Tell them they won't play a single minute anymore for Barca if that's what it takes.

khaled_a_d

I see your point but I think Madrid's institutional attitude and identity is more about winning than anything.

Our identity, or philosophy, is closely associated with style. I'm not saying it must be 80% possession all the time, but I believe it would be a mistake to deviate from attractive football for the sake potential short term success.

Football fans are both greedy and have a short memory span.
The whole Barca style is more or less a marketing stunt, it is something that sells and attracts fans.
It attracts more fans when they feel they are loyal to a brand type of football, it separates you from other clubs.

But when this type is not winning titles you lose that edge you have.
When we are winning and playing good, it is easy to brag our style of football.
When we are winning but not playing well, fans will be dissatisfied because they want more. We want attractive football, we want Barca football again, where is Barca DNA.
But once we are not winning, fans will want the titles again. Fans of any team will choose Chelsea's Mourinho over Wenger Arsenal in his late years.

When EV was hired, we were 1 year away from a dominant Barca side that dominated football for 2 years, fans were saying why we should give EV credit for winning Liga when we were winning it anyway. They demanded our football back.
But now we are 4 years away from that attractive football, next year we might be 2 years away from titles.
If they get EV ball (metaphorically speaking) again with winning they will gladly take it, for a year or two before demanding attractive football again.

The football they played with Mourinho was good apart from vs. Barca and Bayern until his last season.

Lightning quick counter attack football. Scored loads of goals.

Irrelevant, they hired Mourinho because they thought he can beat Barca after one of the most epic bus parking ties we have ever seen.
He even bragged about he doesn't want the ball.

BBZ8800

Huh? Clasico this season with Valverde was 0-0. Terrible display at Camp Nou.

Ev played 5 league El classicos.
Won 3, played 2 draws, iirc.

Mr. Nobody-can-be-worse-than-Valverde played 1 and lost it right away.

Be careful what you wish for.

Home of Barca Fans