Quique Setien

Tackle

We were the best team in the world 2015-2016. Nothing wonder there.

Disagree.

Maybe at the start of the season we were, but by the business end of the season Bayern were clearly the best side in the world. Won the domestic double and were on pace for 98 points in a 38 match season.

Should have won the CL that season too. Pep really let that one slip away.

In their previous two CL semi-final appearances under Pep they were clearly outclassed by Madrid in 2014 and by us in 2015.

2016 they were the better side, dominated Atletico and were unlucky to go out.

Meanwhile we were limping to the finish line in La Liga after defeats in 3 consecutive matches and were much less convincing against Atleti.

xXKonan

Transfer ban and Vidal and Arda not giving the boost we had hoped played a big role in why we collapsed in the 2nd half of the 2015/16 season.

There was a time our bench options were like Douglas, Adriano, Mathieu, Verm, Bartra, Gumbau,Sandro, Munir and Roberto.

Mathieu, Roberto were clearly the most useful and Verm wasn't bad before he got injured but was shaky as hell when he came back and Sandro and Munir were playing Musical Chairs in Messi's absense, Rafinha got butchered early on vs Roma and Bartra was not much of a factor as he was clearly behind the likes of Mathieu and Verm.

Adriano had declined significantly and Douglas was Douglas and Lucho had a weird thing for Gumbau early on. Not exactly strong Depth we had.

Barcilliant

One thing that has not been touched on here is the culture of the club.
Elite clubs do not play Mr Nice Guy. They are ruthless. Even with their legends. Look at Real Madrid. Casillas, Raul and Ronaldo for example.
This club feels forever indebted to our legends and keeps indulging them way beyond their expiry dates.

Last edited:

MTL_Barca

It's way too late to turn things around anyway, last opportunity was like one year ago but instead they fucked up the squad even more and the physical condition is shit as well. Nobody could fix that in a less than a month.

Tackle

The words of Messi left Setien very touched. So much so that after the match he barely spoke to the players, locking himself up with his staff in the office, but without the presence of Eder Sarabia, who decided to leave the club alone that night. [cat radio]

jairzinho

One thing that has not been touched on here is the culture of the club.
Elite clubs do not play Mr Nice Guy. They are ruthless. Even with their legends. Look at Real Madrid. Casillas, Raul and Ronaldo for example.
This club feels forever indebted to our legends and keeps indulging them way beyond their expiry dates.

Correct. This board is too soft, and the players, they know that too. Barto and his team have contributed the most to the mess that the club is in.

serghei

Pochettino please. We?ve not had a top manager since Pep.

A top manager kicks the veterans out, including Messi. No way would a top manager allow a bunch of old veterans dictate how the team should play. Only ones who accept this scenario is managers like Setien and Valverde. Bilbao, Valencia, Betis level managers.

Birdy

Ok.
I called our history:
1) humiliation
2) Pep's years
3) humiliation

You call it:
1) we are on the map
2) pep
3) we are on the map

Btw, my point is that people are changing history, majority of them.
Since we weren't successful pre Rijkaard.
And even then, we had only 1 truly good year, and even then Messi has helped us a lot against Mou's Chelsea.

Further, since Barca was always one of the biggest spenders, then I don't find our results preMessi too impressive.
I mean, preMessi:
We were the biggest spenders.
Yet, the clubs who were spending like us, like RM or Milan, won more CLs.
And clubs who were spending less like Bayern, Juve, Man Utd, were equal or better than us.

About EV's humiliations, yes, he is the only one who managed to lose 3:0 and 4:0 in the 2nd leg.
But also, he is the only one who managed to win 4:1 and 3:0 in first matches.

Ok, you are gradually curtailing more and more your original point.

1) First of all, I think you are playing with words.
I said 'humiliation' has a very specific meaning. And I gave a concrete counter-example, losing to the best Valencia ever 4-1 in a semi-final away is NOT a humiliation.
It's a sour defeat, it's bad performance maybe, and it's eventually an elimination.

Wanna define what 'humiliation' denotes for you?
The way you are ending your post it seems that the equate 'humiliation' to 'losing away games'.
If the discussion is "Why Barca historically is below par on away knock-out games", we can make it, but that's a totally different discussion from "Barca has historically always been a joke and gets humiliated in Europe"

2) 'Being on the map' is different from what you say.
Yes, before Cruyff we were non-existent magnitude in Europe.
Since then, we are an existent magnitude. Simple as that.
You were originally trying to present the 88-08 era as similar to pre-88, which is NOT at all the case

3) You say you don't like trophies, finals and semis as a metric.
Ok, give me a better metric to measure how good a club has performed in Europe.

And since you mentioned money, Juventus was also spending big in the late 90s and even until 04, Man UTD was buying the best talent in Britain under Fergie.
Only Bayern you can reasonably argue that they have spent much less than Barca until 08, but then they haven't trumped Barca in European success.
I singled out the only two teams one can say have trumped Barca in European success until 08: RM and AC Milan. And there are many reasons for their success that go beyond money.
I bet no one could find another side apart from these two and say they were more successful than Barca in the UCL pre-08: they were as successful or less successful.

PS: By the way, not related but, EV is responsible for the physical condition of the players, since he is the ONE who gave them green light not to train.

Messigician

The words of Messi left Setien very touched. So much so that after the match he barely spoke to the players, locking himself up with his staff in the office, but without the presence of Eder Sarabia, who decided to leave the club alone that night. [cat radio]

Baby lmfao

Home of Barca Fans