Quique Setien

BBZ8800

1) First of all, I think you are playing with words.
I said 'humiliation' has a very specific meaning. And I gave a concrete counter-example, losing to the best Valencia ever 4-1 in a semi-final away is NOT a humiliation.
It's a sour defeat, it's bad performance

So, losing 4:1 away to the best Valencia ever is not a humiliation.
But losing 4:0 away to the best Liverpool ever is a humiliation?

Sorry, don't bother.
I won't be replying to this.

FinBarcelonafan

Sorry, don't bother.

Both are humiliations. Any game where you lose 4-0 is, as long as you are Barca.

KingLeo10

Losing 4-1 away to Valencia is a bigger humiliation than losing 4-0 away to Pool.

At least Pool is one of the 7-8 historical giants in football. Valencia are a mid table team.

Vilarrubi

https://twitter.com/sameer_r13/status/1284427257797382144?s=21

Really good thread. Reinforces the idea that who is giving instructions can be more important than the instructions themselves. Just like Pep, Lucho and Zidane. Lucho and Zidane even more so, obvious tactical flaws and not the most technical of managers, but players respect and react differently to them compared to a Setien or Lopetegui.

Still think Xavi is worth a shot because of this, BUT major changes needed in squad too. If he cares about Barca he’ll make the changes needed whether they are his friends or not.

Birdy

Sorry, don't bother.

1) It's questionable if that's the best Liverpool ever
2) its not only losing 4-0 but GIVING AWAY a 3-0 advantage and the WAY in which you give it away

3) You don't take the context at all into account.
scoreline suggests something but out of context it loses meaning

So, if you don't bother to answer all my points, it means you are admitting the inadequacy of your original argument.

Define humiliation yourself if you want.
there is NO possible way you can lump Rome, anfield on the one hand and elimination to Atletico on the other in the same basket.
Simple as that

Losing 4-1 away to Valencia is a bigger humiliation than losing 4-0 away to Pool.

At least Pool is one of the 7-8 historical giants in football. Valencia are a mid table team.

Nope, for the reason I mention above.
Scoreline alone out of context says something, but not everything.
anfield was not about the 4-0 only, was about the things i mention above

Last edited:

serghei

https://twitter.com/sameer_r13/status/1284427257797382144?s=21

Really good thread. Reinforces the idea that who is giving instructions can be more important than the instructions themselves. Just like Pep, Lucho and Zidane. Lucho and Zidane even more so, obvious tactical flaws and not the most technical of managers, but players respect and react differently to them compared to a Setien or Lopetegui.

Still think Xavi is worth a shot because of this, BUT major changes needed in squad too. If he cares about Barca he?ll make the changes needed whether they are his friends or not.

The veterans don't or can't work hard anymore. That's basically what comes down to. No matter who comes, there is no way we are going back on top without hard work.

They liked Valverde and still embarrassed themselves in CL twice in a row. When you like a manager because he is friendly, and gives you days off, and basically lets you do what you want... that's fucked up.

I say get a big name next and break these players.

Again, the problem is these veterans are used to taking it easy. They won't be on board with any plan that has them working hard again. They will undermine the manager again and will complain until we sign another Valverde who gives them days off, and lets them basically run the team.

Setien and Sarabia got in conflict with them because as soon as they came they started to up the training sessions to bring back the intensity needed to play proper football. Smelled like trouble right away.

That's why I want us to sign a big name. Someone to put them in their place, and someone who has the credentials and achievements Setien didn't. To fucking expose them.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

The veterans don't or can't work hard anymore. That's basically what comes down to. No matter who comes, there is no way we are going back on top without hard work.

They liked Valverde and still embarrassed themselves in CL twice in a row. When you like a manager because he is friendly, and gives you days off, and basically lets you do what you want... that's fucked up.

Again, the problem is these veterans are used to taking it easy. They won't be on board with any plan that has them working hard again. They will undermine the manager again and will complain until we sign another Valverde who gives them days off, and lets them basically run the team.

Setien and Sarabia got in conflict with them because as soon as they came they started to up the training sessions to bring back the intensity needed to play proper football. Smelled like trouble right away.

That's why I want us to sign a big name. Someone to put them in their place, and someone who has the credentials and achievements Setien didn't. To fucking expose them.

The only names on that level are Pep (unwilling to come back), ZZ (will never manage us), Klopp (probably unavailable), and Xavi (unproven and wasting his time in Qatar).

Even Pochettino or Allegri would get cucked by the seniors IMO.

serghei

The only names on that level are Pep (unwilling to come back), ZZ (will never manage us), Klopp (probably unavailable), and Xavi (unproven and wasting his time in Qatar).

Even Pochettino or Allegri would get cucked by the seniors IMO.

Then we're fucked. I think even Xavi could have problems with them. I'd rather he stays away for the time being.

Vilarrubi

Yep. That’s why I said if he comes big changes are needed. Honestly I don’t see him keeping his pals playing as much as some people here. But who knows.

Agree with KingLeo, Poch and Allegri would probably get same treatment. Xavi is Zidane level when it comes to respect.

serghei

Yep. That’s why I said if he comes big changes are needed. Honestly I don’t see him keeping his pals playing as much as some people here. But who knows.

Agree with KingLeo, Poch and Allegri would probably get same treatment. Xavi is Zidane level when it comes to respect.

This is so obvious now, that the top managers won't come without some serious backing from Bartomeu that he gets absolute power over anyone in the team. The veterans know at this point, especially Messi and Suarez, that if they throw a tantrum Bartomeu will get scared and replace the manager.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
There might be a dozen coaches who are better tactically than Xavi, but none of them will command the respect Xavi will receive from the squad. None of them will be the winner Xavi was as a player.

If he comes along with the plan of making major changes, which it is reported he is, and a good sporting director instead of the retarded clown in charge right now, then it can work really well.

Xavi might also help attracting top talent to the club post Messi as he's a big name.

I don't think he comes before 2021 though with Laporta or Font so need a short-term one year solution for the next season.

serghei

The short term manager will be Pimienta so Messi and Suarez could manage him. I don't see us signing anyone serious with these guys around. I hope Setien and Sarabia will spill the beans after they are gone.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
They'll probably listen more to Pimienta given he was the youth team coach of Messi, Alba, Busquets, Pique. At least there is some relation and respect there.

KingLeo10

Then we're fucked. I think even Xavi could have problems with them. I'd rather he stays away for the time being.

Well, only for the next 1-2 years unless the new board (Font hopefully) is also hellbent on fully destroying this club and continues the retirement home policy we have going on right now.

I don't think the seniors have anything except for maybe 1 more LL in them. CL is out of the question when we can't even beat Osasuna with ease.

I think we'll be back among the mix in 2-5 years unless a CL super club emerges. After seeing United slowly coming back (with an average manager at best), I don't think it's doom and gloom for a super wealthy club like us. Milan's downfall was abrupt end to funding.

Home of Barca Fans