Rafael Márquez

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I won`t be so quick to blame the goal on him but that bad record goes on. Rafa plays, Barca concedes

House of Flies

all your bases belong to us
what the fuck? who is teaching him how the defend?? you dont leave the guy who is going to make a run especially if he is ahead.

and secondly, as a defender, you cant just cant leave your player and then caught in no man's land... its easier for a goalie to concentrate on one guy rather than 2 guys... fucking idiot.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
I'd take into consideration the fact that he is still getting there. The guy hasn't been able to reach onto his top form or anywhere near it and he's miles behind the rest of the team, however, gradually he'll get there, and I'd rather see him play more than not to.

What Pep, I think, will have to take into account is that when to play him. Throwing both, Rafa and Chygsy on, wasn't such a good idea as they're both still getting there. He should've taken Marquez in for Chygs, instead of Pique as our Ukrainian seemed a bit too fatigued

Last edited:

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
what the fuck? who is teaching him how the defend?? you dont leave the guy who is going to make a run especially if he is ahead.

and secondly, as a defender, you cant just cant leave your player and then caught in no man's land... its easier for a goalie to concentrate on one guy rather than 2 guys... fucking idiot.

yes, lets blame Rafa for not properly defending against two attackers by himself ... cuz that's so logical.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
he has to keep piqué as fresh as possible, though.

piquénbauer has to hold either rafa or chysus' hand through the next month while puyol plays RB.

at the end of the day, one goal against in a game like this isn't the end of the world, and really we need both rafa and chysus to get fit and firing.

House of Flies

yes, lets blame Rafa for not properly defending against two attackers by himself ... cuz that's so logical.

it was 2 on 2 as i was told from meta (i did miss the second half due to canadian soccer events in the blistering cold)...

but as a defender... i rather make sure my guy is covered before i lunge on the guy with the ball... cause it is simpler for the goalie. but getting caught in no man's land just seems retarded for a defender.

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
it was a 2 on 1 ... with Rafa as the only defender in front of them. and Rafa was in no-man's land because he thought CNote would cover the other attacker. But CNote is kinda slow.

V

Valon

Tbh it wasn't his fault. I'd say it was more Xavi's fault since he lost the ball and really what could he do against 2 men.

House of Flies

it was a 2 on 1 ... with Rafa as the only defender in front of them. and Rafa was in no-man's land because he thought CNote would cover the other attacker. But CNote is kinda slow.

let me get back to you after i watch the second half highlights.... need that badly.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
Sadly for him, this wasn't the only debatable action from him.

He can easily stay for me but he has to step it up again. Otherwise i think he can go with Henry this season.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
it was a 2 on 1 ... with Rafa as the only defender in front of them.

yeah but that doesn't excuse running over like an idiot and leaving lopez unmarked.

you come halfway, you pressure the guy with the ball but you don't leave yourself exposed like he did. plus if he can cut out the chance of the ball getting to lopez then valdés can come out fully commited to taking it from the guy with the ball (arizmendi?)

instead he fully came for it, leaving two players the chance to shoot, meaning valdés couldn't deal with the situation as well as he should have done.

like I said, not his biggest mistake, but he's still making errors and that's troubling.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I will say a couple of comments. Yes I'm a fan, yes he's been awful, but I think ignoring context is a silly excuse to create a scapegoat.

1. As Bojan said, every time Rafa played, we have conceded. This isn't entirely his fault, but it still says something about his failings and well, the last game he started is self explanatory.

2. Injuries have always have a habit of making his concentration worse. This is the story of his career and I think it's safe to say his fragility made him never live up to his potential.

3. He has not played a lot this season. I believe he started 2 games and only played 1 full game - it was a disaster of a game, but it's not as if he's been doing it since day one. He started the season injured after all.

4. The goal conceded today probably would not have been conceded if Pique was playing instead of him, but it wasn't as if we are going to lose the game at that point. Goal difference hardly matters in La Liga and that was an indifferent effort from Rafa, Chyg, Valdes and Xavi that lead to a goal.

5. There was no tactical reason for Rafa being subbed on. What this reminded me of was "garbage time" in Basketball when the game is basically over and the coach puts bench players on just to stretch them out. It's obvious neither Rafa or Bojan was brought into the game to improve our performance.

6. Rafa and Chyg is a CB pairing of nightmares. While a lot of us were wrong about Pique and Rafa being too slow to play together, Ukranian Jesus lacks Pique's athleticism and until he proves otherwise needs Pique or Puyol playing with him.

So is Rafa the weakest link right now? Yes, he is. Should his contract be renewed? I wouldn't rush on making that decision. Is he finished? The sample size is too small for a definitive answer. I don't yet see what's so great about the Ukranian Jesus, but the kid obviously needs to get his chances before he proves anything one way or another. Right now I'm going to trust the coaching staff when it comes to Marquez, because they are the ones watching him in practice and communicating with him. But let's be real, we can't sell him because his contract is expiring, so unless you want to cut him and make our defensive depth even more thin, all we can do is wait and see if he can contribute this season. Feel free to call him a "fucking idiot" all you want, because that's really going to achieve a lot.

Sadly for him, this wasn't the only debatable action from him.

He can easily stay for me but he has to step it up again. Otherwise i think he can go with Henry this season.
You see, when I'm defending him, this is where I stand. Like Henry, he's likely past his best and if he doesn't contribute notably it's clear we should let him go, but unless you want to buy him out just to prove a point, shouldn't we be hoping that his form improves instead of writing him off completely?

Last edited:

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
i used to love Rafa...but i am ready for gabi to be the one coming on.. bc even Rafa admits he been mierda

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
After watching Zaragoza highlights again I concluded that there`s nothing Marquez could do. Xavi screwed up when he lost possession and Rafa was left alone between 2 Zaragoza players.
Besides.. he just returned after an injury. We should be more patient.

Btw. Marquez biggest mistake in Zaragoza match is him failing to align in an offside trap in that last Zaragoza action when Valdes made that 1 on 1 save.

Co0ter

I'd take into consideration the fact that he is still getting there. The guy hasn't been able to reach onto his top form or anywhere near it and he's miles behind the rest of the team, however, gradually he'll get there, and I'd rather see him play more than not to.

What Pep, I think, will have to take into account is that when to play him. Throwing both, Rafa and Chygsy on, wasn't such a good idea as they're both still getting there. He should've taken Marquez in for Chygs, instead of Pique as our Ukrainian seemed a bit too fatigued

First of all, why would Chy be tired?! He did almost nothing the entire game besides stand in the back. TIRED?!?! From what? LOL. He needs to step up his game once his form gets better b/c he hasn't been that impressive. For 25mil he should be playing better regardless.

Marquez has never been that great of a defender imo, whether he's properly physical fit has nothing to do with 2/3 of his mistakes, they were marking/mental mistakes.

The failed clear against Rubin Kazan was a physical mistake. I'd say he was a bit unlucky but that doesn't change the fact it was his fault. The second goal was definately his fault. It was him and another defender infront of 2 attackers with one defender trailing slightly behind. Marquez commited to the already covered attacker which left the other open and the goal was conceded because of that. That is God-awful defending. There was no way the 3rd trailing defender could catch up.

Then vs Zaragoza this weekend it was 2 vs 2, not 2 vs 1....He made the same exact mistake in drifting towards the player with the ball instead of marking the other man. Why he seems to think 2 defenders on 1 guy leaving the other open is a good idea is beyond me. I'd think it'd occur to him that the other defender has a good chance at defending the guy with the ball on his own and the smarter thing would be NOT to leave the other wide open.

2 vs 2?! Each cover a guy. Simple text book defending.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans