Rafinha Alcantara

DinhoR10

Not his best game, but that shouldn't throw into question his talent. Everyone has trouble playing against a bus for the first time, even Messi and Iniesta had it tough. Needs to learn how to link up with Messi while being triple teamed, Rakitic learned how to earlier this season and you can see the difference. By next season I think he'll be ready to fight for a starting position.

JamDav1982

Not his best game, but that shouldn't throw into question his talent. Everyone has trouble playing against a bus for the first time, even Messi and Iniesta had it tough. Needs to learn how to link up with Messi while being triple teamed, Rakitic learned how to earlier this season and you can see the difference. By next season I think he'll be ready to fight for a starting position.

The problem was not him being up against a parked bus it was that he never held position and was all over the place.

On the ball he has some nice touches in tight areas but by and large he did next to nothing to hurt Villareal tonight and provided very little defensively.

I dont share the hype around him at all.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Not with Mascherano behind him... Today our defense was very good. BTW I believe Rafinha played few games as DM in B-team.

That only speaks good things of Mascherano, not Rafinha... As BBZ8800 said, we would get in trouble if he played against top teams, not because he sucks but because he offers different things to the team... Villareal played cynical defensive football tonight, and their only attacking options were easily dealt with, but a team with an actual midfield would run us over if Rafinha is playing along side Iniesta in midfield...

SeloBarca

Playing Rafinha and Iniesta at the same time doesnt really work. Borth usually play at the same spot, both have similiar styles, only that Iniesta (currently/still) does it much better, so Rafinha gets kinda "redunant"
Need to have one AM like Iniesta and a creator. Not 1,5 Iniesta.

DinhoR10

The problem was not him being up against a parked bus it was that he never held position and was all over the place.

On the ball he has some nice touches in tight areas but by and large he did next to nothing to hurt Villareal tonight and provided very little defensively.

I dont share the hype around him at all.

I mention the parked bus because in the free flowing games he was playing in before his irratic movement was a plus but against a parked bus you need positional discipline, so everytime he went running in between 6 villaral players Messi/alves would just cross the ball or send it to iniesta because they know its a waste of time to send it to him to get crowded out, then as he's playing as a psuedo striker if the ball his lost he's not in a position to run back and defend like iniesta was.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Play Rafinha with Rakitic.

No wonder the midfield might be a bit unstable when you got both Rafinha and The Don paired up together in the center of the park.

JamDav1982

Play Rafinha with Rakitic.

No wonder the midfield might be a bit unstable when you got both Rafinha and The Don paired up together in the center of the park.

Iniesta is not the player he was but way ahead of Rafinha and has the ability to hold his position on the left of the midfield.

Rafinha is not as disciplined, not as good on ball and naturally plays from the right where Rakitic is.

There is next to no chance Rafinha will be starting any bigger games in place of Iniesta and for good reason.

anguy

Rafinha is not as disciplined, not as good on ball and naturally plays from the right where Rakitic is.

There is next to no chance Rafinha will be starting any bigger games in place of Iniesta and for good reason.

Rakitic is/was actually playing naturally from the left (in Sevilla), where he used to cut inside and pas or shoot so they can play together.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Iniesta is not the player he was but way ahead of Rafinha and has the ability to hold his position on the left of the midfield.

Not saying Rafinha should be a starter. Just that he would be much better alongside Raki.

Darko

Playing Rafinha and Iniesta at the same time doesnt really work. Borth usually play at the same spot, both have similiar styles, only that Iniesta (currently/still) does it much better, so Rafinha gets kinda "redunant"
Need to have one AM like Iniesta and a creator. Not 1,5 Iniesta.

True, I love Rafinha but this combination just seemed too attacking, the space for Masche to cover was huge.

Zangash

Banned
But he did roam all over the place.
At moments, our formation looked like 424 with Dmc Masche too far back in the defense, and Rafinha standing in line with Ney, Suarez and Messi as a central forward, and only Iniesta between those two lines.
Also, our right side is linking up much better with Rakitic-Alves-Messi.

When Rakitic stepped in, he isn't a dribbler or a flashy player, but our team was much more balanced both in attack and in defense.

Also, it doesn't mean that Rafinha isn't good or that he won't be an awesome player, but currently he brings different things to our team compared to Rakitic, and Iniesta-Rafinha midfield is a midfield consisted of two Amcs, while Iniesta-Rakitic is a much more balanced midfield currently.

424 may work in cup, and in home matches, but it could cause huge troubles against stronger opponents.

Agreed. I never really saw him and Iniesta functioning very well when played at the same time. The two are too similar, imo. Rakatic-Xavi and Iniesta-Rafinha are two midfield duos that lack, but Rakatic-Xavi is a better duo for obvious reasons. Why Lucho insists on using Rafinha in this manner is beyond me. Iniesta on the form he displayed last night is enough to leave Rafa on the bench, to me.

khaled_a_d

Rafinha started with Iniesta against Villarreal in the league game and it has been his best game with us .he won all the tackles he attempted in that game and his contributions was immense
I don't think it is that he can't work with Iniesta ,Rafinha is very good defensively ,I don't think Rakitic is much better than him in that regard
But yesterday he was caught a bit trying too much going forward .it is normally his style of play and with Alves very attacking it leaved spaces behind him .I think he will learn .Lucho system with us is very tough tactically and a young player like Rafinha will take time to fully understand it .one game he was aware of it the other not so much .Rakitic needed time to adapt too

I think he would be perfect when Alves is rested to start .Montoya can be the neutral RB and Rafinha can connect with Messi on the right flank
Overall he is still showing he is solid player for us .still good defensively when he was there and had perfect passing game statically too

Zangash

Banned
Rafinha started with Iniesta against Villarreal in the league game and it has been his best game with us .he won all the tackles he attempted in that game and his contributions was immense
I don't think it is that he can't work with Iniesta ,Rafinha is very good defensively ,I don't think Rakitic is much better than him in that regard
But yesterday he was caught a bit trying too much going forward .it is normally his style of play and with Alves very attacking it leaved spaces behind him .I think he will learn .Lucho system with us is very tough tactically and a young player like Rafinha will take time to fully understand it .one game he was aware of it the other not so much .Rakitic needed time to adapt too

I think he would be perfect when Alves is rested to start .Montoya can be the neutral RB and Rafinha can connect with Messi on the right flank
Overall he is still showing he is solid player for us .still good defensively when he was there and had perfect passing game statically too

Even in the league game against Villareal he was all over the place. That play is fine if we have at least one midfielder sticking to the midfield to help control play more. Rafa's been playing well but I don't see Rafinha-Iniesta being too effective against the likes of Atletico and Madrid, which is what our ultimate goal should be.

hardyboy

Happy Birthday Rafa. Turns 22 today.

10978620_862984637081015_9132808286887800728_n.jpg

Home of Barca Fans