Rafinha Alcantara

Zangash

Banned
We refused to give Thiago minutes in the league even when we had the league secured knowing damn well that it'd mean we'd lose him due to failing to meet a playtime clause in his contract. We refuse to play Sergi Samper with the first team because... reasons. We get offered Toni fucking Kroos and refuse to take him because... I don't even think there IS a solid reason. Three players who are or would have been perfect for our team, not playing for us because our management is inept.

But Rafinha, who doesn't play the CM role we need and who can't operate in a midfield that includes our first choice midfielder, gets all the time in the world.

It's beautiful.

DinhoR10

We refused to give Thiago minutes in the league even when we had the league secured knowing damn well that it'd mean we'd lose him due to failing to meet a playtime clause in his contract. We refuse to play Sergi Samper with the first team because... reasons. We get offered Toni fucking Kroos and refuse to take him because... I don't even think there IS a solid reason. Three players who are or would have been perfect for our team, not playing for us because our management is inept.

But Rafinha, who doesn't play the CM role we need and who can't operate in a midfield that includes our first choice midfielder, gets all the time in the world.

It's beautiful.

Lucho's doing the right thing by giving Rafinha time, now we can't say he failed because he wasn't given chances. Samper will get his turn next seaosn I think its too late to promote him given the crunch time we're in.

Zangash

Banned
Lucho's doing the right thing by giving Rafinha time, now we can't say he failed because he wasn't given chances. Samper will get his turn next seaosn I think its too late to promote him given the crunch time we're in.

Too late?

I say we need him now more than ever. The only mids we have that can control a midfield with any effectiveness are Xavi and Busquets. One plays DM and another is a squad player who is leaving at the end of the season. Our midfield is consistently the weakest part of our game and putting in Samper couldn't possibly make us any worse in that area, but there's a chance it could help.

khaled_a_d

It's beautiful.

Who is we? people seem to forget that club is consist if individuals and when they change the "we" changes with it
We have different president,Manager&Sporting director right now . It was a mistake letting Thiago go for sure .Kroos probably was a matter of money .we needed those 30M for other deals

And Samper won't do much with 1st team now,hell Rafinha was better than him with b team 2 years ago .don't get me wrong Samper is good and I believe he can make it but he is the type of players who will need patience .this season was the season he got to train and get a few minutes with 1st team and next year he will probably be promoted and became Busquets back up .may be in a couple of years turn into a starter and the gr8 player we are hoping for
But he would have made no impact with the team this year .even with B team it is sort of clear he still has way to go ,he lacks physicality and defense and he doesn't control the tempo as much needed for the current mold of DMs

I've missed this game but overall I don't think Rafinha is atrocious ,he is a decent role player who could develop further and Lucho clearly believe in him since last year ,that may count for something

Rahj

both thiago and rafinha are good dribblers but not so good passers and this is what disqualified and will disqualify them as options for barca.

Rahj

what aspect of his game lacks then? why didnt tito field him more often? as of now, it will be interesting to see whether thiago can make a comeback as he has been injured for the entire past year.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Rafinha is a good player. This match should not be used to judge him. Iniesta and Rafinha does not work, best partner for rafinha is xavi. Playing celta away is no joke and he showed us that he is still not ready to play big matches. Should have started rakitic and iniesta yesterday and rafinha-xavi against almeria. I don't why lucho decided to put a iniesta rafinha midfield.

Barcelonista

Its so wrong to predict a 22 years old players future. Not someone's who was young player of the season in La Liga. I watched him play against Real last year and he convinced me since then. He has proved himself in all youth levels. Lets be patient! What other choice do we have till next year?

Gnidrologist

Rafinha is a good player. This match should not be used to judge him. Iniesta and Rafinha does not work, best partner for rafinha is xavi.
EVERY midfielder's best partner is Xavi. That's captain obvious fact. Problem is that we need Iniesta to be in advanced role, so Rafinha should be the one to hold the middle and supports him, when needed. In reality it gets forced the other way around. I'd rather have S.Roberto supporting Iniesta, when Raki isn't available. His positioning and off the ball movement is usually impeccable and that is what's needed from central mid. Rafinha seems to only spark flashes, when he has freedom around the box.
While Roberto is not that good of a dribbler and creative force, he is better at playing the ''glue'' role, which means more control all around the pitch.
Maybe his patience will really pay one day.

Last edited:

Mido

EVERY midfielder's best partner is Xavi. That's captain obvious fact. Problem is that we need Iniesta to be in advanced role, so Rafinha should be the one to hold the middle and supports him, when needed. In reality it gets forced the other way around. I'd rather have S.Roberto supporting Iniesta, when Raki isn't available. His positioning and off the ball movement is usually impeccable and that is what's needed from central mid. Rafinha seems to only spark flashes, when he has freedom around the box.
While Roberto is not that good of a dribbler and creative force, he is better at playing the ''glue'' role, which means more control all around the pitch.
Maybe his patience will really pay one day.

It's really funny, as I watched him for the first times in 2011, I had the genuine impression that he could cushion Xavi's departure. Unfortunately he didn't progress as wished. Loaning him next season to an EPL club would be excellent ( Stoke ; Swansea etc...)

anguy

He is giving him the time, but on the wrong position. He's trying to mold him into CM, while the guy is clearly an AM and really decent one. He has good dribbling, short passes, even shot. But he can't use this attributes in CM role, especially in Lucho's system. He should play where he's best - Messi's backup in RW/AM hybrid position - THAT is proper role for him. At least Messi would get some deserved rest.

J

Jamie Cal

Just wanted to say - he was absolutely atrocious yesterday. Can't run, can't cover ground (his defensive positioning was incredible), takes too many touches......the list goes on. You all had a go at me when I said he wasn't great at the start of the season, and to be fair, he had improved a bit, but I'm still yet to be impressed. Players in the attacking midfielder role come a dime a dozen, and he doesn't look anywhere near good enough. You can't say he hasn't had the chances either. Again, would much, much rather Sergi Roberto out there, at least you know what you get with him.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Xavi can make anybody playing besides him look really good. It really is not any excuse that Xavi-Rafinha would be a better fit and that Rafinha doesn't play optimally when paired with Iniesta, because (1) Xavi is going to leave (2) It doesn't mean anything.

Home of Barca Fans