Rafinha Alcantara

I thought he was great, missed a couple sitters but thats nothing really. If it wasn't for Sergi Roberto playing in 4 or 5 different positions this pre seasons he'd be the biggest revelation :lol:

Lucho seems to be ready to give him more time hope he keeps on improving.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Its not about the performance itself, its about how he's progressed recently.

As others have mentioned, he looks much more assured of himself and calmer. He had a very jittery aspect to his play at times last season and to see more composure from him is a good sign in my opinion. I felt bad he missed those sitters, he deserved to get a goal for how he has been playing.

His greatest strengths are his vision, creativity and 1-on-1 dribbling and those are things very much in line with what Lucho wants from the attacking players. While he's looked good on the RW, obviously that is for Messi and I'd like to see him play more through the center.

I think there is a strong case to be made for him being the majority shareholder of Xavi's minutes this season. He can complement either Rakitic or Iniesta and I think he can have a breakout season this year.

Particularly if Pedro leaves, that will increase his chances for time as well.

What in fuck did he do to get praise in this match? I mostly noticed him, when he failed to contain the ball.

Hs link up play was exquisite, his positioning was great (Which was his main flaw last season). And he just generally played well next to our big guns. Yeah he missed 2 chances but he wasn't the only one. Unlucky for that curling shot of his not to go in.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Seems opinions are divided on Rafinha.
I'd really like if he grew into a starter for us. Home-grown and all that jazz and I am rooting for him.
I just don't see it. At least not yet.

Roberto was a unlikely hero of pre-season if I had to pick a youngster.

Darko

Roberto showed he can play RB, not really some kind of revelation since his midfield box to box role is basically the same as a fullback. He is still an inferior player to Rafinha.

Roberto was a revelation to me more cause he can cross like a beast not just that he can play RB. Rafinha is clearly the better player but I always knew that so to see him play well and be the most creative player on the team till messi came back wasn't exactly big news for me more like something I've been expecting for a couple months now.

With Xavi gone I expect him to gobble up the vast majority of those mins cause Lucho loves to rest both Rakitic and Iniesta.

God Serena

Rafinha has made improvements but I have to wonder if he can keep it up when the season really starts. Munir was ultra hot last pre-season and even in the start of the season and then he fizzled out pretty dramatically, although he did get unlucky an ungodly amount of times.

I'd like to see him play like this when the season starts. He could prove to be a good option coming from the bench if he can maintain that form throughout the season.

BibB

I don't know if I like him.... Granted he's progressing well but there seems to be a sort of arrogance in his play which makes him make the wrong decisions like some quest for personal glory which I find frustrating.
I hope that he produces some moments of magic and gets it out of his system or Lucho/his teammates beat it out of him.

On the plus side though, he seems to link up well with Roberto and with him seemingly getting some minutes at RB this season it could form a Messi/Alves esque duo on the right against weaker teams.

V

vigneshFCB

I don't know if I like him.... Granted he's progressing well but there seems to be a sort of arrogance in his play which makes him make the wrong decisions like some quest for personal glory which I find frustrating.
I hope that he produces some moments of magic and gets it out of his system or Lucho/his teammates beat it out of him.

On the plus side though, he seems to link up well with Roberto and with him seemingly getting some minutes at RB this season it could form a Messi/Alves esque duo on the right against weaker teams.

This is very subjective. I don't care if the player tries to be selfish or not, as long as he produces good link up play, is involved in chance creation and does not lose the ball often. Rafinha was very good, and he has improved positionally. You shouldn't care if the player is arrogant, as long as he benefits the team, works hard to retrieve the ball and does not hurt the team by unnecessary loss of possession.

ATLBarcaFan

He seems like a guy that if I watched him play for another club I would say that guy is a decent player, at Barca he just doesn't seem special

BibB

This is very subjective. I don't care if the player tries to be selfish or not, as long as he produces good link up play, is involved in chance creation and does not lose the ball often. Rafinha was very good, and he has improved positionally. You shouldn't care if the player is arrogant, as long as he benefits the team, works hard to retrieve the ball and does not hurt the team by unnecessary loss of possession.

I don't know if he himself is arrogant but his play seems to be, if you get what I mean? That can be detrimental to the team if he tries to go it alone because he thinks he can when there's better options. Especially with calibre of team mates he has.

Home of Barca Fans