Rafinha Alcantara

JamDav1982

I dont think we will and dont think he will be used in midfield a lot this season.

Busquets, Rakitic, Iniesta looks the favored three and I would say Mascherano, Xavi and probably Roberto will all be chosen in midfield before Rafinha.

For me Rafinha is too much of an individual to play in midfield ahead of those players. He will lose the ball too often and doesnt quite have the discipline to play in any of the midfield positions.

In previous systems he may have got a chance at AM but that is not the role of the midfield three anymore.

shadowplay

Doesn't have the discipline? He was fantastic for Celta last season there and his defensive work and team work was one of the things people were praising him for.

Sergi Roberto is shit. ;)

I think he would flourish in CM a lot more than RW.

JamDav1982

Doesn't have the discipline? He was fantastic for Celta last season there and his defensive work and team work was one of the things people were praising him for.

Sergi Roberto is shit. ;)

I think he would flourish in CM a lot more than RW.

He was played on the right and when centrally he was given almost s free role to go where he pleased last season - often as an AM. A position not really available in the midfield three this season.

At Celta he would often drift into areas where he could do damage rather than look to hold position and get on ball. He worked hard and covered a lot of ground but he was never really asked to play a disciplined tactical role in midfield and was given lots of freedom to move off the ball etc.

We shall see as season progresses how much Lucho trusts him in midfield - I suspect not that much in this system and all the things Rafinha is good at is more suited to the front three.

shadowplay

I'm not sure how much you watched of him, but I enjoyed watching Celta last season. Whenever I saw them (which was a lot) he popped up all over the pitch, bringing the ball forward, helping out against counters, keeping good posession, creating chances for the team.

He did it all - when he played RW he attacked and created but defended too. When he played AM, the same, and in CM he kept the ball well, tried to create chances for his team mates, took the attacking initiative and did his job too - Luis Enrique is a stickler for his players to perform to his tactics and I thought Raf did that perfectly, which is why I see him doing very well in CM alongside Rakitic and Busquets.

I think some people are writing him off after a 45 minute display already which is just insane. (i don't mean you there mate)

Last edited:

JamDav1982

I'm not sure how much you watched of him, but I enjoyed watching Celta last season. Whenever I saw them (which was a lot) he popped up all over the pitch, bringing the ball forward, helping out against counters, keeping good posession, creating chances for the team.

He did it all - when he played RW he attacked and created but defended too. When he played AM, the same, and in CM he kept the ball well, tried to create chances for his team mates, took the attacking initiative and did his job too - Luis Enrique is a stickler for his players to perform to his tactics and I thought Raf did that perfectly, which is why I see him doing very well in CM alongside Rakitic and Busquets.

I think some people are writing him off after a 45 minute display already which is just insane.

I watched almost all of Celtas games last season.

Whenever I saw them (which was a lot) he popped up all over the pitch, bringing the ball forward, helping out against counters, keeping good posession, creating chances for the team.

Not sure what Rafinha you were watching to be honest..

In a possession based team Rafinha was 11th in the team in terms of passes made and 6th in terms of pass accuracy. He gave away the ball more than any other player in the team.

That is not being critical of him but it is a result of his role to be given freedom to get into attacking areas and take chances to make things happen.

He was NOT being used a disciplined central midfielder to help keep possession ticking while creating chances.

Edit: He was 7th in average passes and 9th in pass completion.

Last edited:

shadowplay

I'm sorry mate but you're so bang wrong it's embarassing..

he had the most blocks, interception and clearances out of the midfielders (apart from Oubina who had one more interception).. he had no defensive errors, the best tackle rate, joint 2nd best passer whilst playing 10 hours more than anyone else, but yeah.. thats not disciplined enough i guess!!

Mad that you watched nearly all Celta's games but didn't notice any of that isn't it?

JamDav1982

I'm sorry mate but you're so bang wrong it's embarassing..

he had the most blocks, interception and clearances out of the midfielders (apart from Oubina who had one more interception).. he had no defensive errors, the best tackle rate, joint 2nd best passer whilst playing 10 hours more than anyone else, but yeah.. thats not disciplined enough i guess!!

Mad that you watched nearly all Celta's games but didn't notice any of that isn't it?

Rafinha wasnt 'joint best passer'.

He was 7th in average passes made and 6th in pass accuracy and gave away the ball more than any other player.

Lets see where Lucho plays him this season and if he trusts him in midfield all that often.

I had the exact same debates about Rafinha with people like you last season and said he would mainly be trusted by Lucho as part of the front three.

So far that has been the case.

He was 9th in both tackling and interceptions.

Nothing you describe him as being is backed up in stats.

Last edited:

shadowplay

I don't know what stats you are using, but i'm looking at midfielders only - seeing as thats where he played. Be it CM, AM or RW.

If you are using defenders too then that's hardly fair.

Are you going to give him a hard time cos he hasn't saved any penalties? He hasn't had a chance in goal yet.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

I don't know what stats you are using, but i'm looking at midfielders only - seeing as thats where he played. Be it CM, AM or RW.

If you are using defenders too then that's hardly fair.

Are you going to give him a hard time cos he hasn't savd any penalties? He hasn't had a chance in goal yet.

If you state that Rafinha was there to help dominate possession it should show in that stats.

He wasnt, Rafinha was there to move off the ball and get into dangerous areas and to make things happen. He was given the freedom to do that.

I dont think you have the slightest idea of how he was used. Lets see where Lucho uses him this season.

shadowplay

If you state that Rafinha was there to help dominate possession it should show in that stats.

He wasnt, Rafinha was there to move off the ball and get into dangerous areas and to make things happen. He was given the freedom to do that.

I dont think you have the slightest idea of how he was used. Lets see where Lucho uses him this season.
That's a part of his game - i don't think you have the slightest idea of what you were watching with your own eyes.

I can't even be bothered disputing it anymore, you seem to be a hater, fair enough, just don't try and hide behind bull statements and admit it.

No point arguing with someone like you.

JamDav1982

That's a part of his game - i don't think you have the slightest idea of what you were watching with your own eyes.

I can't even be bothered disputing it anymore, you seem to be a hater, fair enough, just don't try and hide behind bull statements and admit it.

No point arguing with someone like you.

Hater?

I like him for what he is not for some false idea that he is a box to box, possession player that creates chances.

He is an attacking midfielder/forward that needs to be given freedom to try things. Hence why he was the player at Celta last season that created the most chances but also gave away the ball the most and was not greatly involved in possession build up or any where near the most accurate passer.

I dont HATE him for that as I understand what his role in that team was.

shadowplay

Hater?

I like him for what he is not for some false idea that he is a box to box, possession player that creates chances.

He is an attacking midfielder/forward that needs to be given freedom to try things. Hence why he was the player at Celta last season that created the most chances but also gave away the ball the most and was not greatly involved in possession build up or any where near the most accurate passer.

I dont HATE him for that as I understand what his role in that team was.

You won't recognize the defensive work he did for the team though which is really obnoxiously arrogant.

He CAN defend, he CAN be disciplined - the stats (sorry linetty) back that up.

Home of Barca Fans