Raphael Varane

Micah

Honestly i'd like say to myself he's not world class, but he is. This guy is bound to reach the top echelons of the game. Unbelievable composure for his age, look at Pique for instance the other day against Ronaldo, he was shitting his pants when he was driving at him, where as he should have lunged much earlier or try to shove him off the ball, but he just kept skidding all the way back and went for a last minute lunge,giving away pen

Varane was brilliant in both the legs, shame we don't have a player like him. Our scouting is ofcourse a bloody joke, i wonder if we even have one, which idiot would even think of Song as a bloody CB. I really hope we get a genuine defender this summer.

Garrus

Real madrid signed an 18 years old player to play for their first team, So yeah, It's no shock that he's really really good.

DucdeOrléans

This guy is a frightening prospect. I already had a very good eye for him when he was playing for Lens, even recommended him on this forum, but all credit to Zizou and RM for actually taking the risk. But WHAT a talent. I would be very surprised if he would not grow into the very best central defender in the near future. That's how good he actually is.

Superb performances for France as well against Georgia and Spain. His first games for Les Bleus nevertheless and he played alongside Sakho in the first game and Koscielny in the second. In both occasions I don't recall any personal mistake, a bad interception, bad pass or any lost duel. Jallet was at fault for Pedro's goal yesterday.

In short this guy is something special.

Last edited:

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
Yeah lets see him keep his form for a couple seasons before even throwing that out there. Thiago Silva has been outstanding for 3-4 seasons now. Varane after a couple of months isn't now better. I also think they are both pretty similar.

DucdeOrléans

Varane is faster, stronger and more athletic and just as good technically already despite being nearly 9 years younger. With all due respect. The only thing he lacks is experience and more experience in comparison.

Already won as much in his career as Silva too.

Not kidding btw.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
What makes a great defender is consistency... there's thousands of players that can go 5 games without a mistake.

DucdeOrléans

What makes a great defender is consistency... there's thousands of players that can go 5 games without a mistake.

That's correct but Varane has shown exactly that so far for nearly 3 season now whenever called upon. Even when playing for Lens in Ligue 2 he was consistently one of the better and most stable performers which made clubs such as RM, Man Utd and countless of other top clubs highly interested and which ultimately brought him to RM.

He was already impressing last season whenever he played. In his first season as a 18 year old nevertheless. I am sure the madridistas here can confirm that.

His current season and displays don't need further introduction nor his performances against our team and Man Utd.

His young age and thus lack of experience compared to players that are nearly a decade older (Silva) should not be used as a benchmark to criticize him.

The praise might be exaggerated but when you see such a huge talent you have to recognize it - RM player or not. I for once enjoy seeing his flawless performances so far and appreciate it. Just as I have appreciated other great/talented/ players who played for other clubs than FCB. Part of being a football fan IMO. Well if we look past his performances against us that is.:lol:

Last edited:

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
Not criticizing him at all, infact i think he's very impressive. But i think it's a little bit too soon to start labelling him as the best.

I hope he keeps his form up consistently, i love a good defender.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
No way we can label him as the best yet. Let him show his form for an entire season. A couple of great games that happen to fall in the most media-highlighted stages of the season and suddenly he's being overhyped when he was previously unknown to the common fan.

Yes, I agree he is a phenomenal talent. And it's not that he has started all this just now. He's been great every time he's played. I just think that he upped his game recently and happened to be under display in the Clasico so everyone is now thinking "where the hell did this guy come from".

Although let him prove that he has what it takes to handle the rigors of an entire season with the pressure of the clubs glory on his shoulders. Let's see if he can prove to be statistically great in all aspects of his job as a defender and be efficient. Let's see if he has the nerve to stand up even higher in the bigger games and take the role of a leader for his team when the going gets tough.

I don't doubt him even one bit, but don't prematurely call him the best defender in the world. From what it looks like so far, that title will be reserved for him within a few years. However it's only smart to wait until the time comes when he has actually proven it, not just praise him before the best is yet to come.

DucdeOrléans

I never said that he is the best central defender around already based on current form (but he is definitely among the best right now), as Hellsangel did, but just that I see a very bright future for him and expect him to be the very best if he continues to develop and impress as he has done so far. I agree that it is way too soon to label him as the very best. He is not even turned 20 yet! So the experience defenders who are nearly a decade older (Silva) is obviously lacking right now. But I understand the praises and fully agree with them since I am praising him highly myself.

Yeah, I miss flawless defenders. Not many left after Maldini, Thuram, Nesta, (I know he is still playing but in Canada of all places) Hierro, Desailly, Ayala Cannavaro etc. called it a day. Great defenders are badly needed IMO. So it's always nice to see a player of Varane's stature. I hope that he will perform even better for his country than his club though.:troll:

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans