Raphael Varane

footyfan

Calma, calma
He hasn't committed a foul for 720 minutes now according to 101greatgoals.com

That's not true. According to whoscored, he committed a foul in the Mallorca game (after which he has played 270 min). He might've even conceded a foul vs Georgia but whoscored doesnt have the stats for that game. In that case, it would only be 180 minutes.

I was amazed when I first read your comment. But after checking a bit, it wasn't as awesome as I'd thought. Pepe has made 9 apps in CL and only committed 4 fouls :rolleyes:

In 7 apps in the CL this season, Pique and Alaba have only committed 1 foul, while Maxwell, Alex and a whole host of others have 2. Xavi (OK he's a midfielder) has played 32 games this season in Liga+CL and has committed a grand total of 2 fouls.

T

tariqo

too early to call him a good defender while he didn't face a real threat

Ursegor

World Champion
Best young prospect in world football in general. There are shitloads of talented attacking midfielders and wingers coming up (Götze, Hazard, Lucas, Neymar, Thiago, Oscar, Muniain, Isco etc. etc. etc.) but I don't recall any other 19 year old defender looking as comfortable as he did against Barca, City, United, Spain etc. I mean he's just 19. Defenders normally become really good with experience around 24 - 25 if not in their late 20s. But he has already put Pepe on the bench under a manager who normally doesn't give youth a chance.

Raphael Varane's statistics vs. Galatasaray: 100% pass accuracy (28/28), 17 interceptions, 6 tackles, 0 fouls.

Drogba: "I can't believe he's only 19, he's one of the best defenders I have ever faced."

footyfan

Calma, calma
Raphael Varane's statistics vs. Galatasaray: 100% pass accuracy (28/28), 17 interceptions, 6 tackles, 0 fouls.

17 interceptions? WTF? How do you define interception? Whoscored says 1 interception by Varane vs Gala. Did you get your stats from twitter/bleacherreport?

Doobs

The Messiah
I wouldn't pay attention to the doubters of Varane's talent here. It's the perfect example of when bias crosses the line and becomes stupidity.

ammarfcb

ze special one
let's be real. if we had this guy this thread would be called raphael 'nesta' varane and we'd be calling him the best CB in the world 3 months ago.

but instead we have bartra who's good looking. that's about it.

Doobs

The Messiah
Barça was interested in Real Madrid central defender Raphael Varane before he signed with Real Madrid. His buyout clause is 30M [md]

:(

Technically we CAN still get him..

Galning

Barça was interested in Real Madrid central defender Raphael Varane before he signed with Real Madrid. His buyout clause is 30M [md]

:(

Technically we CAN still get him..

:lol: imagine he accepts our offer. It's all in his hands :p

Home of Barca Fans