Raphael Varane

Turson

I'm pretty sure madrid will start phasing out Pepe at the end of this season..

Varane openly says that hes very happy with Real and Ancelotti, so seeminlgy even now he plays often enough. Besides, hes very intelligent and clear headed player, why would he leave to a weaker team? And like you said, Pepe is not getting any younger.

Plus, Mou himself admitted that even though he would like to have him in his team, getting him from Real is simply impossible.

Last edited:

Andrew M

Was it not Zidane who identified Varane as a good investment for Real?

If only we had scouts who could identify such defensive ability at a young age. Why didn't we take a risk and sign Marquinhos before PSG?

Ursegor

World Champion
Was it not Zidane who identified Varane as a good investment for Real?

If only we had scouts who could identify such defensive ability at a young age. Why didn't we take a risk and sign Marquinhos before PSG?

Yes, it was Zidane.

Barca wanted Marquinhos but didn't match the € 35M price tag only to make a € 42M bid 1 season later after he was already a PSG player. Why? Because Barca is run by retards.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Yes, it was Zidane.

Barca wanted Marquinhos but didn't match the € 35M price tag only to make a € 42M bid 1 season later after he was already a PSG player. Why? Because Barca is run by retards.

He went to PSG for 31m, no? He said he didn't even recieve an offer from and us and that he don't know what he would have done if he had recieved one.

The guys probably thought they had all the time in the world only to be bulldozed aside by the Parisians in the end. Actually, they probably still tried getting Thiago Silva even after he and PSG said NO.

CuleLife4Life

Zidane was the one who discovered Varane playing for lowly Lens who were in Ligue 2 or had just been promoted. And he only cost RM 10mil.

We need to setup better scouts like that in Europe and South America. There are many gems waiting to be discovered for very cheap. Too bad Zubi and co are too dumb to realize that.

Andrew M

It would make sense that Zidane knows the French market.

I just feel that we are so conservative when it comes to defenders. It may be the chygrynskiy effect

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Zidane was the one who discovered Varane playing for lowly Lens who were in Ligue 2 or had just been promoted. And he only cost RM 10mil.

When you pay 10M € for a lowly French second competition player, one can hardly proclaim to have made the deal of the century...

Andrew M

When you pay 10M € for a lowly French second competition player, one can hardly proclaim to have made the deal of the century...

He had a long contract and mostly played in Ligue 1 until Lens got relegated in his final season with them. and Real probably found that 10 mill behind the sofa.

CuleLife4Life

Just making that kind of random deal was smart and something we need to do (Douglas doesn't count). 10mil is nothing to them( and us) and he was already on the minds of several clubs including PSG and Man Utd.It wasn't as if he was a complete stranger but more of a gamble.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

When you pay 10m for a gem who is among the top 3 CBs in his age and would probably stake a claim along the very best in the future if he doesn't get injured and something then I would say that's a pretty damn good deal.

A player who will lead your backline and do so for a decade. Worth every penny.

Morten

Just making that kind of random deal was smart and something we need to do (Douglas doesn't count). 10mil is nothing to them( and us) and he was already on the minds of several clubs including PSG and Man Utd.It wasn't as if he was a complete stranger but more of a gamble.

Its not that easy, you cant just go to some random league and bid 10 mil for some talented youngster, and expect him to be worldclass. I would say we were very lucky, it could be once in a generation player, Varane is simply that good.

CuleLife4Life

Its not that easy, you cant just go to some random league and bid 10 mil for some talented youngster, and expect him to be worldclass. I would say we were very lucky, it could be once in a generation player, Varane is simply that good.

I'm not saying we have to expect him to be world class right this second but to do what Real did. Varane barely played his first year and was slowly transitioned into the 1st team and given more starts as time went on. He was brought because of his potential. Something our scouts aren't comprehending.

With scouts that don't include Neymar's dad, Barca could probably buy some potentially great talents from South America on the cheap. Doria from Botofogo went for a little bit more than Douglas this summer. Kid is a monster just waiting for a chance. There are also other youngsters filled with potential in South America right now including Eder Balanta, a CB from Colombia. And we don't need to search only in South America but in Europe as well.

MaxY

Devil May Cry
I think the rumors about him departing are really stupid. Pepe isn't getting any younger,Varane will become a starter next season or the one after that at most. He's only 21 yo,he can wait. I'm expecting RM to sell Pepe next season because it'll be the last chance to get some cash for him. ManUnited is a desperate club who makes horrible decisions so I wouldn't be surprised if they pay a lot to get Pepe(like 10 M).

Home of Barca Fans