Raphael Varane

Autumn

Am I alone in thinking that young CBs with pace get vastly overrated? It seems they often use their speed to make up for mistakes, and then after doing so, they're praised for their great speed instead of criticized for their original mistake. It seems like most truly great CBs don't rely on speed.

I don't see Varane do that much special outside of use his physical speed/strength/height. He's still so young so surely he can grow, but at the moment I'm just not seeing why he should be considered anything wonderful.

He's definitely getting a chance to prove himself now with all these injuries. Should be interesting to see how he does here :).

footyfan

Calma, calma
Am I alone in thinking that young CBs with pace get vastly overrated? It seems they often use their speed to make up for mistakes, and then after doing so, they're praised for their great speed instead of criticized for their original mistake. It seems like most truly great CBs don't rely on speed.

I don't see Varane do that much special outside of use his physical speed/strength/height. He's still so young so surely he can grow, but at the moment I'm just not seeing why he should be considered anything wonderful.

He's definitely getting a chance to prove himself now with all these injuries. Should be interesting to see how he does here :).

He doesn't just have pace though, his reading of the game is excellent and far beyond his peers, not to mention his clean tackling. Besides, in today's game, pace can make the difference between a good defender and a great defender.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
No comments on his game today? First game I saw of Varane for a while and to sum up his performance I'd say he was atrocious in passing, bad or average in positioning and required Pepe to save his ass a few times. 6/10 at best today.

Bertus

He has been bad for months now. He may need a new fresh start somewhere else.

Listened to the sport radios this morning and they said he had a bad game again.

Can't believe there's still some people here on this very forum that rate him higher than Marquinhos.

It feels like Varane already reached his peak, while Marcos keeps getting better and better, and imo he's already past varane's level.

khaled_a_d

Listened to the sport radios this morning and they said he had a bad game again.

Can't believe there's still some people here on this very forum that rate him higher than Marquinhos.

It feels like Varane already reached his peak, while Marcos keeps getting better and better, and imo he's already past varane's level.

Don't know about that ,But Varane early on was way better than any CB I've seen in such age group for years
He isn't in his top form now ,but if he is back to what he was (and that isn't even counting the possibility to improve even more) he would be better than anyone in his age group and that isn't taking anything of how good Marquinhos right now
Kid got it all tbh ,height,pace.athleticism ,strength and actual defending skills .
I haven't been a fan of a RM player since Morientes .and even the later wasn't playing as he deserved and that was one of the reason I liked him :lol:

Bertus

Don't know about that ,But Varane early on was way better than any CB I've seen in such age group for years
He isn't in his top form now ,but if he is back to what he was (and that isn't even counting the possibility to improve even more) he would be better than anyone in his age group and that isn't taking anything of how good Marquinhos right now
Kid got it all tbh ,height,pace.athleticism ,strength and actual defending skills .
I haven't been a fan of a RM player since Morientes .and even the later wasn't playing as he deserved and that was one of the reason I liked him :lol:

Don't misunderstand me, I like Varane too as a CB and think he's good.

I just think Marquinhos is now better. Maybe he won't be in the future, but right now, he's better than Varane when he was at his best imo.

CuleLife4Life

From what I saw of the game, he was one of the better players yesterday.

I personally think he'll develop better under a different manager as Ancelotti seems to have crushed his confidence. Don't see him spending another season scarcely playing when someone is injured only. But I'll be pissed if he goes to Mou.

DrPepper

Very good game, despite his CB partner being more interested with elbowing people. Saved his ass quite a few times too. Doubt they'd be this solid with Pepe today.

Kohe321

His top speed once his gets into stride is indeed completely insane, he's probably the fastest player at RM.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
He's even faster than I thought. Didn't make any glaring mistakes either. He really should start over Ramos.

Home of Barca Fans