Real Madrid (old thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manuel Traquete

Nothing wrong with penalties. Higuain is a better goalscorer despite having scored 7 penalties less than CR this season.
Maybe for you benching CR is out of question, I've shown you the facts, he scores that many only because he plays more minutes than the other goalscorer(still cannot reach his efficiency). Besides you are making it sound like if it's something surreal, even the madridistas in here suggest that.
Who cares if he is useless against Barca? The Bernabeu crowd perhaps? Whistling at him ever since his atrocious(one more to add) in last Clasico. The league has 38 games, but in Copa and CL(more than presumably) you need to defeat Barca convincingly(cos' it's 2 games). This games also can affect their performance in Liga and they are pressed towin every game there, since defeating Barca in camp nou it's not something they can rely on.
Madrid was doing great with Juande Ramos, winning 13 games in a row(till they faced Barca). The gap in Spain between the 2 top clubs and the rest is even bigger now, they don't need a poacher who likes to collect goals when Madrid trash the opponent and doens't do much when the game is difficult

How is he a better goalscorer, seriously? Cristiano scored 112 goals in the past 115 games, 26 in 26 this season. Higuain scored 58 in 92 in the past three seasons, meaning that Ronaldo scored almost double his goals in his time at Madrid. This season, he has 16 in 27, even if we discount penalties (which is a stupid thing to do), Ronaldo still has more goals. And of course I make it sound as if is surreal to bench Ronaldo, it is surreal and it is never going to happen.

The Bernabeu crowd will forget everything if Madrid manage to win the league. And if they do so, it will be thanks to Ronaldo, who seems on pace to beat his own La Liga goalscoring record. I'm sure the most reasonable Madrid fans are aware that, while Ronaldo didn't have a good Clásico, they wouldn't have been six points ahead of Barca to begin with without Ronaldo's goals.

Madrid with Juande Ramos in 2008/2009 ended the season with 78 points. That'd put them fighting with Valencia for second place this season, their consistency has improved to no end with the acquisition of a player who averages a goal per game.

Manuel Traquete

Those statistics are a bit flawed. They lost those games only towards the end of last season when we were like 7 points ahead of them and the league was well and truly over. Also Benzema was shit and Higuain just came back from a serious injury last season, so yes, LAST season they were a bit Ronaldo dependant (hence why they had to loan Adebayor), but that's not their general state. They've also won several games without Ronaldo and comfortably as well. This season they have Benzema and Higuain scoring almost every game. No way are they Ronaldo dependant. We are more dependant on Messi to be fair. We don't have anyone to score close to 30 goals in the league apart from Messi.

That ONE game against Levante this season doesn't prove much by the way. They also dropped 2 points against Racing Santander when Ronaldo DID start. It was the time when they had to organise a BBQ to show that there was no disharmony in their team. :lol:

They're not Ronaldo-dependant. They're a great team without Ronaldo as well. But I reckon Ronaldo gives them an added 10 points over a season at least, and this is a conservative estimate. They can win games without Ronaldo, but over a long season they'll struggle to unlock some games without him.

Regardless of the club people support, dismissing the contributions of a player with Ronaldo's scoring record is pretty baffling. Even if he just stood there and did nothing else on the pitch, the sheer volume of goals alone would make him an incredibly valuable asset.

Last edited:

ricknattery

Higuain is a better goalcorer THIS season
Gonzalo: 1 goal every 63 minutes
Ronaldo: 1 goal every 72 minutes(7 penalties)

Are you denying facts now?

He deserves to be ahead of CR because he contributes a better goal ratio plus better contribution in deffensive matters plus he doesn't shit in his pants against Barca(which is crucial in 2 titles and important for la liga)

If Madrid doesn't win the league or CL, CR will be the first one leaving the team

Manuel Traquete

Higuain is a better goalcorer THIS season
Gonzalo: 1 goal every 63 minutes
Ronaldo: 1 goal every 72 minutes(7 penalties)

Are you denying facts now?

He deserves to be ahead of CR because he contributes a better goal ratio plus better contribution in deffensive matters plus he doesn't shit in his pants against Barca(which is crucial in 2 titles and important for la liga)

If Madrid doesn't win the league or CL, CR will be the first one leaving the team

Those "facts" are heavily skewed by Higuain's lack of game time. He will accumulate more minutes in the second half of the season and his average will inevitably go down to more normal levels. The less minutes you play, the easier it is to keep a great goal per minute ratio.

And Cristiano has actually scored more goals against Barca than Higuain (3-2). He doesn't play at his best against this Barca side, but who does?! It's not like Ronaldo has been Madrid's worst player or anything, he's just under more scrutiny because he's Ronaldo. He even scored an important Copa del Rey winner.

And what do you mean with the last sentence? Real Madrid not winning the league or the CL would never be because of Ronaldo, but because of a once-in-a-lifetime Barca side remaining on top. One thing is for sure, if they want to win any of those competitions, they will need Cristiano.

B

barcelonista

But I reckon Ronaldo gives them an added 10 points over a season at least, and this is a conservative estimate. They can win games without Ronaldo, but over a long season they'll struggle to unlock some games without him.

Mate, this is COMPLETELY made up by you. I present you the facts:

Real Madrid accumulated 96 points in 2009 / 2010 when their best 2 goalscorers were:

Higuain: 27 goals
Ronaldo: 26 goals

Their third best goalscorer was Kaka: 8 goals.

This seems to be completely enough to reach almost 100 points in La Liga which wins you the league nowadays (we won it with 96 points last season). Benzema and Higuain are easily capable of doing this together now (scoring 26 and 27 league goals), you don't need "once in a lifetime players" to do this. You are not denying this, are you?

But here is an even better statistic for you. With Ronaldo, Manchester United accumulated 90 points in 2008 / 2009. The season after his departure they accumulated 85 without even replacing him with another striker. In fact, they didn't lose only him but also Tevez. And they were only 5 points worse than the season before. But this was barely down to a lack of goals being scored anyway. Because with Ronaldo in 2008 / 2009 they scored 68. Without Ronaldo (and Tevez) the year after they scored 86 goals. So your point is completely being disproved here by simple facts. If Manchester United don't lose 10 points (or even more as you suggest) the season after Ronaldo's and Tevez' departure (with Owen becoming the only replacement ...), Real Madrid (with a lot more depth upfront and the money to spend on players like Agüero if Ronaldo was to leave) will not either. No way is Ronaldo giving RM a plus of 10 points. If Ronaldo would leave, others would step up as they did at Manchester United.

I mean it's a shocking suggestion. Real Madrid finished with 92 points last season. Now you believe Ronaldo gives them an added 10 points (conservative estimation, as you say). So without Ronaldo Real Madrid is just a less than 80 points team? So just slightly better than Valencia? Errr ... You better reconsider this.

It's also not so much about Ronaldo as an individual being shit or Real Madrid not profiting from him. It's about the question if Higuain instead of Ronaldo would make RM a worse team. I'm questioning only this, not Ronaldo's qualities.

Last edited:

Manuel Traquete

Mate, this is COMPLETELY made up by you. I present you the facts:

Real Madrid accumulated 96 points in 2009 / 2010 when their best 2 goalscorers were:

Higuain: 27 goals
Ronaldo: 26 goals

Their third best goalscorer was Kaka: 8 goals.

This seems to be completely enough to reach almost 100 points in La Liga which wins you the league nowadays (we won it with 96 points last season). Benzema and Higuain are easily capable of doing this together now (scoring 26 and 27 league goals). You are not denying this, are you?

But here is an even better statistic for you. With Ronaldo, Manchester United accumulated 90 points in 2008 / 2009. The season after his departure they accumulated 85 without even replacing him with another striker. In fact, they didn't lose only him but also Tevez. And they were only 5 points worse than the season before. But this was barely down to a lack of goals being scored anyway. Because with Ronaldo in 2008 / 2009 they scored 68. Without Ronaldo (and Tevez) the year after they scored 86 goals. So your point is completely being disproved here by simple facts. If Manchester United doesn't lose 10 points the season after Ronaldo's and Tevez' departure (with Owen becoming the only replacement ...), Real Madrid (with a lot more depth upfront) will not either.

It's also not so much about Ronaldo as an individual being shit or Real Madrid not profiting from him. It's about the question if Higuain instead of Ronaldo would make RM a worse team.

It's just an estimate, based mostly on how much Real improved in the league after Ronaldo arrived and they built around him.

And yes, I have serious doubts that Higuain and Benzema would get 27+26 over a league season. Higuain did it once, never came close to repeating it, Benzema never did it; even in this great season he's having, he's "merely" scored 10 in half a season. They can't compare to Ronaldo who's almost a lock to score one goal per game.

As for United, with Ronaldo they won the league three times in a row with Ronaldo as their top scorer and reached two CL finals in a row, the second of them almost solely based on Ronaldo's decisive goals vs Porto and Arsenal. It's safe to assume that, while they're still doing relatively well, they miss Ronaldo.

Higuain instead of Ronaldo would definitely make Real a worse team because Ronaldo is a much better player. I don't know how this can even be an argument; Ronaldo is on pace to perhaps even beat Di Stefano's goal record at Madrid should he keep this up for a few more years. What he's doing at Madrid is pretty incredible and would make him the undisputed best player in the world over the past few years if this exceptional Barca side of Messi, Xavi and Iniesta were not around. Higuain is a good player, but he can't possible compare.

I guess we'll only have a definite answer when Ronaldo is sidelined for a long period due to a possible injury. I'm pretty sure that when and if that happens Real will feel its effects.

Maria

I guess we'll only have a definite answer when Ronaldo is sidelined for a long period due to a possible injury. I'm pretty sure that when and if that happens Real will feel its effects.

If I'm not wrong, Cristiano had an injury when Pellegrini was their coach and the team didn't suffered too much.

But I agree with you that they need Cristiano to win the league..even when he is playing badly he is opening space for his teammates or scoring the 3rd goal(who is just as important as the first and I give as an example our match against Sociedad, when we lost a 2 goal lead) or obtaining a penalty(re:Getafe; unfortunately our Leo doesn't has to break a leg to get one). The downside of RM playing around Cristiano was that when he was shit last year, they lost a few points at Almeria or Deportivo; but now Higuain is back(who is as much of a bully against small teams as the portuguese) and I don't see them loosing too manny points. Even if they loose against us(and Cristiano underperforms), they can(and probably will if Barca doesn't show in the away matches) win the league.

Now..the CL is something else. Messi gets atacked by most of the PL fan-boys because he is supposedly playing in a weak league and thats why he's scoring so manny goals, when his record in La Liga is only of 34 goals in 2009/2010 season and his favourite competition is CL(where he has one of the best goals/game ratio). With Cristiano the situation is the other way around..he is very good in the league and pretty poor in the knock-out rounds of this competition(Higuain's record in CL is no better). And that's why I believe that if they are to win the CL, Benzema will be an important factor(his goal/game ratio is even better than Messi's) and his understanding of the game, passing and dribbling could make him a big game player(if he isn't already).

Last edited:

Beast

The Observer
There is no picking on Argies as both were bought under the Argie supremo personally ,however Higuain got an increase when he renewed he was getting as Di Maria before so he get almost double increase and he earned as he developed a lot since he joined us 6 years ago,Di Maria needs to earn it by being consistant . .Benz was a household name when he arrived not that i was convinced about the deal or buying him at all..but glad i got this one wrong eventually(household apply to some people not me btw)

Beast

The Observer
Thank u all for such a civil discussion without trolling i will reply as i noticed so many posts worth debating later today

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
I have been on Ronaldo's case for sometime now, perhaps before anyone else on this forum. However credit to him where it is due and that is his rare dip in form. He may not score goals in a lot of matches, but his physical well being is phenomenal. On an individual level, Higuain and Benzema might not be able to score that many goals over a period of time that lasts as long as Ronaldo's.

Going up against Barcelona, you need to rack up that many points, you need flat track bullies to end games beyond any doubt. So this is where I defend Ronaldo. What I have a problem with is Ronaldo's supremacy over the team, because I feel (and I could be completely wrong) that Benzema and Ozil are a shadow of themselves with Ronaldo around. They need to leave his shadow and explode on the scene.

ammarfcb

ze special one
I have been on Ronaldo's case for sometime now, perhaps before anyone else on this forum. However credit to him where it is due and that is his rare dip in form. He may not score goals in a lot of matches, but his physical well being is phenomenal. On an individual level, Higuain and Benzema might not be able to score that many goals over a period of time that lasts as long as Ronaldo's.

Going up against Barcelona, you need to rack up that many points, you need flat track bullies to end games beyond any doubt. So this is where I defend Ronaldo. What I have a problem with is Ronaldo's supremacy over the team, because I feel (and I could be completely wrong) that Benzema and Ozil are a shadow of themselves with Ronaldo around. They need to leave his shadow and explode on the scene.

agreed, i think that if hiquain or benzema were fed as much as ronaldo is, they would properly surpass his goals per season. Hiquain especially is a brilliant finisher and i think even though ronaldo is a fairly good player in front of goal. you always see him thinking too much in 1-1 situtions with the keeper, where as hiquain is alot more confident.

but i guess real madrid will always have to be centered abit around one player because of their ability to take the ball from goal to goal - there always has to be the ronaldo figure who is great with space that team works towards getting the ball to... not sure if i'm making sense here

M

mitkoa7x

agreed, i think that if hiquain or benzema were fed as much as ronaldo is, they would properly surpass his goals per season. Hiquain especially is a brilliant finisher and i think even though ronaldo is a fairly good player in front of goal. you always see him thinking too much in 1-1 situtions with the keeper, where as hiquain is alot more confident.

but i guess real madrid will always have to be centered abit around one player because of their ability to take the ball from goal to goal - there always has to be the ronaldo figure who is great with space that team works towards getting the ball to... not sure if i'm making sense here

We've been through this, cules will say this, madridistas will deny it. Until both Benz and Gonzo start getting spoon fed like Cristina, we will never know.

ammarfcb

ze special one
We've been through this, cules will say this, madridistas will deny it. Until both Benz and Gonzo start getting spoon fed like Cristina, we will never know.

i can remember last season a game were madrid played with kaka and ozil (i tihnk) feeding hiquain and it ended something like 6-2. one of the best madrid performances i remember.

E

estranged

14-01-2012 Mallorca - Real Madrid
18-01-2012 Real Madrid - Barcelona
20-01-2012 Athletic Bilbao - Real Madrid
22-01-2012 Real Madrid - Athletic Bilbao
25-02-2012 Barcelona - Real Madrid

madrid's 5 upcoming fixtures, needless to say they will win each one by 4 goals, but yea

Beast

The Observer
Too much quality posts but since i'm manager on duty today i have some time to reply to half.
the last part...really. Hiquain has been your game changer. he takes the team from 0-0 to 5-1 etc. and watches ronaldo and co take the credit.

Higuain is a game changer for one reason , he is ice cold.. he is not your typical Zidane or Messi but when it's high octane battle and the game is like 3-2 for the opponent you can bet higuain will not choke in front of the goal even though he is lost much of his sharpness following his back injury still better than many strikers but not the pre-injury Higuain
Pipa is the better goal-scorer. Since your club don't value him all that much (seeing how much he's earning) and your machine works better with your current heartthrob Benzema than with Gonzo. Do us all fans of La Albiceleste a favour, will you? please sell him to a club where he can start regularly. A striker of his caliber isn't meant to be a back-up whatever club. It's criminal. And it's heart breaking to 've to see our #9 being reduced to one. :( Now Adebarndoor is a back-up you can buy to adorn your bench. Don't mess with our boy.

Z.. Higuain was earning like 1.5 Million when he signed for RM a 18/19ish year old with not even a single international game for his NT team.. he negotiated his deal last year and move to 3.8 so he is happy with his pay slip and renewed for an extra 5 years
He is not a back up but we are not rushing someone who did a back operation last year and the choice will always be for whoever is in better form
Benzema deserves to start ahead of Higuain. I'd say Higuain is the better goalscorer, but Benzema is a more complete forward, he has really impressed lately. Not to mention that he accepts playing second fiddle to Cristiano, unlike Pipita.

Hard to argue with Mourinho's decision here. Benzema and Di Maria have probably been Real Madrid's best players this season, both have established themselves among the very best in the world at their position in the past year.
At the moment i agree .. without the second fiddle part

It's really no surprise that Mourinho prefers a physically strong centre forward who can shield the ball, dribble, pass, drop deep to contribute in build up play and play on the wing as well ahead of a "fox in the box" kind of player that Higuain is currently. Higuain has a slightly better goal per minute ratio. Benz therefore has like 3 times more assists than Gonzo. His movement has caused us all sorts of problem in the last Clasico. Including a nice square ball inbetween Pique and Puyol to Ronaldo from the left wing which the latter blasted into row Z. I agree with Manuel here. Benz is the more complete player. Some of you don't really believe Mourinho is benching Higuain because he is Argentinian, do you? What's going on in this thread? :lol:
They are two different type of forwards but Higuain is not a fox in a box type of players , agree with u for the rest

That second last sentence I agree with. He is so good as a poacher that he makes Messi hug all over his nuts when playing for Argentina.

Higuain the poacher*

Higuain is far from being a poacher but he can do it without a problem if asked to
Is he? I'll 've to see if Gio approves of that.

He was winning you games single-handedly when you didn't 've a certain Cristiano or Benzema in your team. Now all of a sudden he's become a mere poacher. Not good enough to start ahead of the Frenchman. I'm sure the Getafe, Malaga, and Zaragoza goals 09/10 wre put on a plate for him. Granted, Benzema's holdup play & passing is better but gonzalo is a far superior goal threat, but also a consistent one. He also presses better than any of your strikers. But if you're looking at assisting your superstar with a 'subordinate' forward, then Gonzo is def not your man. That also extends to the National team.

I'm with La Furia..Free Higgy!

No i don't conquer with the poacher tag , Higuain play brilliantly inside or outside the box.. at many times prior and even after his injury he provided the goods for Crisitiano from the wings needles to mention he scored from outside the box couple of times .. he don't stay there waiting for the ball , his strength remain pressuring the defense (he is better than Benz in that ) and play in the spaces behind the defense he is probably one of the best in that

Benzema is no doubt a better overall footballer as many have already stated but reducing Higuain to a mere poacher is being criminally unjust to the Argentinian.

One thing Benzema lacks that Higuain brings to the table is the ability to take over games and put the team on his back. If RM are not playing well Benzema's level usually reflects that of the team, he is not nearly as effective when RM are not playing well as a unit. Higuain however has the ability to lead his team when their down, he has a winning mentality, that is a stat you cannot measure.

Well Real was playing bad in the second half of the super cup and the last classico and Benzema was there ..but Higuain is more a shinning example of that as i mentioned he has nerves of steel an excellent trait for a striker i can rememeber so many games from last second penalty he scored to Getafe (pepe madness game ) last minute winner from outside the box
They can match his production, just let them kick the penalties:
In Liga
Cristiano Ronaldo: 1524 minutes played, 21 goals(7 penalties). A goal every 72 minutes
Benzema: 892 minutes played, 10 goals(0 penalties). A goal every 89 minutes
Higuain: 828 minutes played, 13 goals(o penalties). A goal every 63 minutes

So, it's clear Higuain is a better goalscorer this season(imagine the difference if Higuain could not kick all the penalties, but at least the ones he has earned)
Benzema would be a better goalscorer if he could kick some penalties as well, but he doesn't need to score as much as CR to be ahead of him, his contribution to the game andlink up play are enough for him to bench him
I'm considering the goalscoring aspect, because CR has been reduced to that mainly. His contribution in other aspects in offense is minimal, let alone his deffensive contribution
So you are right, there is no two ways about it, Higuain deserves to be ahead of CR, RM could play as a team actually and they could have a player who is not that useless against the biggest rival

Not to get fooled here and without taking anything from Higuain some of the games he came when the other team was down or tired so he has better goal ratio especially that some of his goals are packed in some games (hatrick couple of times ) Benz goals is spread all over the games.. some things stats won't show you but actual watching the game or remembering the incidents ..
so your statment lacks the behind the scenes

as for CR contribution , under Pellegrini we lost CR for 50 days and we didn't suffer .. even under Jose some people say that we function better without him as a team ..
I won't underestimate his importance in the overall tally in terms of points , he is an excellent goal scorer and he did save us many times .. but the issue with me is that at crunch times (except few games like the Copa final ) and the supercup first leg he will vanish under the pressure of the game .. if he had Higuain mentality this boy would be top of the world i hope this season they would do a miracle on him like they did with Benzema last year but my bet is he is too stubborn to listen
but Real without Ronaldo ? we will still win , we have two excellent forwards in Benz and Higuain and two playmakers in Ozil and Di Maria plus Kaka and Xabi-Marcelo but for Sure this year CR level is beyond last year until this moment

thank you all for your nice conversation , it's been a while since we had a decent conversation on the forum without trolling ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans