Real Madrid (old thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

maz

I walk the line
He called it "excessive". Which is about all ive heard from him. It sounds almost as if he is reluctant to say it. Had it been england he would have been ranting and raving about how it is a travesty and is killing football.

I see... very nice indeed.

What makes you say my name is strange? It isn't all that different from yours when you think about it.

:lol: you're a strange person. Its cool! But i didnt realise you were a madridista. I guess your support is sealed.

B

beautifulgame

Ronaldo fee is excessive, says UEFA chief Platini
June 11, 2009

The £80million transfer fee for Cristiano Ronaldo has been described as "excessive" by UEFA president Michel Platini.

Real Madrid's offer for the Portuguese winger, which has been accepted by Manchester United, follows soon after the Spanish club's £56million swoop for Kaka.

Platini said in a statement: "These excessive transfers are happening almost every day.

"These transfers represent a serious challenge to the idea of fair play and the concept of financial balance in our competitions.

"UEFA are working hard with clubs to establish a new set of rules as soon as is possible to clean up the system and give it a more solid and more transparent base.

"That is our top priority today."

Earlier, sports minister Gerry Sutcliffe had called the £80million fee beyond the comprehension of the ordinary fan.

Sutcliffe, a Salford-born Manchester United fan, said the money offered by Real highlighted the growing gap between a few rich clubs and the rest.

The minister said: "These are astronomical figure and from the wider perspective this transfer, added to the one of Kaka [for £56million], continues to give us cause for concern.

"Competitive balance is not just a UK issue now, it's a European issue especially since Florentino Perez is now bringing the galacticos back to Real Madrid.g

"These figures are simply beyond the understanding of most ordinary fans.

"I am worried that a small group of rich clubs are getting richer and that does affect the balance and the opportunities for the wider game.

"It is what motivated us to write to the Premier League, FA and Football League to express our concerns about transparency and competitive balance."

Sutcliffe admitted that with Ronaldo wanting the transfer, £80million was too good a fee for United to turn down.

He added: "As a United supporter I am disappointed to see him go because he has been a wonderful player for us but I accept it's good business for the club to sign him for £12million and sell him for £80million."

maz

I walk the line
Typical platini. As a fan im obviously biased about leagues, but platini's bias shouldn't be so obvious.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
What's Platini's bias supposed to be now? He criticised the EPL clubs for spending too much, now he criticises Perez for running a football club on Monopoly money, seems fair enough to me.

He called it "excessive". Which is about all ive heard from him. It sounds almost as if he is reluctant to say it. Had it been england he would have been ranting and raving about how it is a travesty and is killing football.

FFS, don't tell me the Daily Mail has got to you too :thumbdown:

beef-supreme

Typical platini. As a fan im obviously biased about leagues, but platini's bias shouldn't be so obvious.

Well yes, that's a fair comment, but then again this kind of money-movement just doesn't happen elsewhere, so in a way his bias is justified. We can't really test his bias because the clubs he sympathises with haven't done the same.
One thing though must be noted for example is the way he let his bias show for the CL final...

maz

I walk the line
Platini on the proposed move of kaká to manchester city:

"City can have a young player from Manchester who comes to their training centre and becomes Kaka," the Frenchman claimed. "They don't have to buy someone for €150m [£131m] because they have their academy."

“How can a guy cost €150 million? For me it’s ridiculous — from a football, social and financial point of view.

“If you want to buy a plane for €150m or a boat, you can. But for a man? For me it’s bad. It’s not possible. But it’s why we have to do something.

“I’m finding a system where you can spend what you have. If one Sheikh brings €150m for Kaka then you have to put his salary on top of the transfer fee.

“If the club go over their income with the player’s salary plus fee, they can be banned from our competitions because they don’t respect their budget. It’s about a licensing system where clubs spend within their income.

“Clubs who are banned will be replaced by those further down the table of that country who meet the criteria. It’s not to disturb football but to protect it. Many owners have asked me to find a system. I have to do that as president of UEFA.”

Platini on ronaldo's almost-completed move to madrid:

Platini said in a statement: "These excessive transfers are happening almost every day.

"These transfers represent a serious challenge to the idea of fair play and the concept of financial balance in our competitions.

"UEFA are working hard with clubs to establish a new set of rules as soon as is possible to clean up the system and give it a more solid and more transparent base.

"That is our top priority today."
The first is a rant. The second is an obligation.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
The English media have got to you Maz, I'm sorry but Platini's language in the second statement is still very strong; "a serious challenge to the idea of fair play" is not a weak or apologetic comment, you're trying to read too much into it because you have a preconceived idea that Platini is biased because of the constant ranting from EPL lovers.

TiTi

Im glad that the most overrated and arrogant player in the world went to the most hated club in the world.. you know what.. they fit together perfectly..
And I have a feeling that we'll be seeing the Cristina from Portugal national team and not the one from Manchester, where whole team played to make her look good.

She'll have a good time with new guys there :)

Last edited:

beef-supreme

The English media have got to you Maz, I'm sorry but Platini's language in the second statement is still very strong; "a serious challenge to the idea of fair play" is not a weak or apologetic comment, you're trying to read too much into it because you have a preconceived idea that Platini is biased because of the constant ranting from EPL lovers.

Yeah I agree with you there CA.
Obviously I would concede that Platini holds a bias against EPL clubs but at the same time I wouldn't base it on these comments.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
Yeah I agree with you there CA.
Obviously I would concede that Platini holds a bias against EPL clubs but at the same time I wouldn't base it on these comments.

I think he prefers other leagues, I think he has some problems regarding the way the EPL operates but is his bias significant, does it affect his decisions and his ability to properly carry out his role? Not at all in my opinion.

Beast

The Observer
I think he prefers other leagues, I think he has some problems regarding the way the EPL operates but is his bias significant, does it affect his decisions and his ability to properly carry out his role? Not at all in my opinion.

He is not biased as in "i'll do something to hurt this league " ... he speaks out of his ideal football basics ... but he didn't intervene to stop the EPL being superior in the last couple of year .. in fact the EPL breakthrough in Europe came under Platini .. so that excludes what some of the EPL teams claimed (oh he hate us that's why the ref helped Barca..blah blah blah ) ..

he is doing a lot for Europe as a whole including the reshaping of the poor UEFA cup .. the advocation for 6+5, giving East European countries a chance to hold big events..etc

people must differentiate between Platini saying what he think is right . and what he actually do as UEFA president

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans