Real Madrid (old thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil

Shabazz
2 questions ... one is the same as Barça´s vice president said yesterday .. where the hell does Madrid come up with all this money ? and 2nd question, does Perez know that a football team consists of defenders as well ?

TiTi

Wow ... big statement there ... any back up sources ? last i hear we have about 300 + Million supporters second behind Man U , or you world is basically our rivals :p ?

You didn't understand what I said ... that was for me most overrated and arrongant player and most hated club in the world.. just for me I don't care what the others say ;)

Warik

Cue Beast answering the money question for the 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999th Time.

Anyway, i've already noticed the glory hunters for Real popping out the woodwork on another forum. All those who loved Barça last year now saying "Real were actually always my second team...hope they beat Barça"

maz

I walk the line
The English media have got to you Maz, I'm sorry but Platini's language in the second statement is still very strong; "a serious challenge to the idea of fair play" is not a weak or apologetic comment, you're trying to read too much into it because you have a preconceived idea that Platini is biased because of the constant ranting from EPL lovers.
Look at it objectively. In the situation where there are only rumours, platini makes a direct attack on manchester city and its owners. When it comes to real madrid, he makes a general statement about all high-priced transfers, not once singling out ronaldo, real madrid or pérez. Its impossible to disagree with that because it's evident in the two quotes i posted.

Now, subjectively, it seems as if the first quote is something very personal to him, whereas the second is something he has issued reluctantly.

By the way im not saying it is affecting his work as president of UEFA, just that it would be nice for him to condemn madrid the same way he did man city.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
2 questions ... one is the same as Barça´s vice president said yesterday .. where the hell does Madrid come up with all this money ? and 2nd question, does Perez know that a football team consists of defenders as well ?

The money issue is an interesting one this time around, certainly more so than during the first Galáctico era (G1). During G1 football was going through a boom period in a heady economic climate and football clubs all over Europe were expanding their brand throughout Asia and the Middle East. Now that G2 is with us we have to question just how much more the market can expand, there’s a very real danger for Madrid that there simply isn’t another 150m€ worth of new revenue to be generated in order to justify the transfer fees, and they have wages to consider on top of that. Make no mistakes, this isn’t the sure thing that some would have you believe, with people the world over spending less money and companies cutting their cloth wherever possible Perez is taking a big gamble this time.

Look at it objectively.

I did, so you'll have to excuse me when I tell you I didn't read past your first sentence.

Nándor

Ronaldo celebrates Man Utd exit with Paris Hilton
12.06.09 | tribalfootball.com

Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo celebrated his imminent move to Real Madrid with ... Paris Hilton!

The Sun says Ronaldo, 24, kissed and cuddled the 28- year-old socialite in a Hollywood club before they headed to her sister's home.

Ronaldo's £80 million move from United to Real Madrid sets a new world record.

Paris was spotted with Ronaldo just 24 hours after dumping previous love Doug Reinhardt, who has played baseball for the Anaheim Angels and Baltimore Orioles - and is a TV personality in the States.

Paris told a friend: "Cristiano's much better than my ex. He was nothing but a low-paid minor league baseball player."

---------------------------------------------

:lol::lol::lol: that's just too much fun to miss IMO. imagine the medial hysteria if they were to become a couple :p

on a serious note...beast, with regards to the same old question of "how can real madrid afford all this, where does the money come from and how can pérez pay for all this", how about you answer it one last time and make seperate new topic for that???!!! this way you could just refer to this topic and wouldn't be endangered of getting a hard attack in the upcoming weeks, when real splash out even more money. just a thought

Beast

The Observer

Cue Beast answering the money question for the 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999th Time.

Anyway, i've already noticed the glory hunters for Real popping out the woodwork on another forum. All those who loved Barça last year now saying "Real were actually always my second team...hope they beat Barça"

Damn it.. i always get the same question... Evil i answered it as Warik mentioned...
simple math really...

mods could i have this post as a sticky :lol:
Real Madrid last year transfer kitty was 80 Million (our usual kit..)
we just bought VDV for 14 Mil ... got 42 Mil for Robinho
in the winter we got Huntelaar & Lass for a combined fee of 45

- Calderon secured a loan for 75 Million Euro (reported for CR deal back then )
- this year transfer alloted kit (80 Mil )
there are rumors in some news sources (basically Balagay and the BBC quoted him ) that the we have new credit facilities from the Catalan La Caixa bank...

you have to understand Real Madrid is a freaking money machine Evil ..

here is the BBC report i advise you to read it carefully mate

From Puskas and Di Stefano to Zidane and Beckham, Spanish football giant Real Madrid have aspired to acquire some of the most talented and glamorous names in world football.

Now, in the latest chapter they have swooped in a matter of days for two of the biggest names in world football, Kaka and Ronaldo.

The signing strategy is being led by the returning president of the club, construction magnate Florentino Perez, who previously led the Spanish team from 2000 to 2006 - during its famous "galacticos" era.

It was under Mr Perez's first reign that the club initially aimed at becoming the world's richest and best known football brand

But how can they afford to pay the reported £56m for Kaka and offer a world-record £80m for Cristiano Ronaldo - existing as they do without the deep pockets of a billionaire benefactor?

Growing match-day revenues, increasingly shrewd and global marketing, healthy commercial income, and a ground-breaking domestic TV deal, have all catapulted the club to the peak of the Deloitte's Football Money League this year.

They have topped it for the past four straight years, despite being overshadowed in the Champions League by their bitter rivals Barcelona

'Remarkable growth'

According to those most recent figures, for 2007/08, the club saw its revenue hit £290m during that season

Whilst Real Madrid's 4% revenue growth in 2007/08 was more modest than in preceding years, it meant that across a six year period the club had doubled its annual revenues since 2002.

Perhaps crucially, it also gave the club a revenue lead of 41m euros (£32.5m) over Manchester United, in second place.

"The engine driving Real's remarkable revenue growth, and its ascent to the top of the money league, has been the club's ability to increase commercial revenue," said Dan Jones, author of the Deloitte report, when it was issued in February

Matchday revenue has also increased significantly in the past couple of years thanks to the reconfiguring of areas of the club's stadium to increase corporate hospitality capacity and hence revenues.

Average attendances at their home ground - the 80,354-capacity Santiago Bernabéu football stadium - are the third-highest in Europe.

Emerging markets

After the purchase of David Beckham from Manchester United in 2003, Real Madrid cleverly projected their brand into East Asia, on the back of the England star's appeal.

"That was all about the race by the big European clubs to crack the East Asian, Indian and other emerging markets first, and the race is still going on," says Nigel Currie, of marketing and sponsorship giants Brand Rapport

"However good the Premier League and Spain's La Liga are, there is an elite breaking away, led by the likes of Real Madrid."

He added: "What they are doing is partly a response to Barcelona's success, but these signings are them putting down a marker to be

the top club and football brand in the world."

Mr Currie said Real were targeting the world's best players - who were also the world's most marketable players.

'Fickle allegiance'

That, Mr Currie added, meant that in emerging markets fans may swap allegiance, from - for example - Manchester United to Real Madrid, simply because they preferred to support star players rather than clubs.

"They are far more fickle in terms of allegiance," he said. "But it is not about Real looking to sell more merchandising in places like China, in fact they would not make a great deal from doing that

"They are looking to make money from these signings by maximising their future overseas TV rights," says Mr Currie.

"There will be massive TV deals coming up for them overseas in the next few years, that is the big carrot.

"With the developments this week Real Madrid will already have restored their profile and status to number one in these emerging markets.

"And the team that has the most marketable players, and the most supporters, will get the best TV deals."

'Important role'

The television money, both overseas and at home, is crucial to Real's surge in income in recent years.

Since 1997 Spanish clubs have sold their own rights individually.

Real Madrid signed its latest deal in 2006 - for a reported record 1.1bn euros - with Spanish film and TV company Mediapro for seven seasons of broadcast rights.

That works out at a huge 150m euros a year.

"Spanish television rights have increased significantly in the past three years, and would no doubt

play an important role in these large Real Madrid transfers," says James Pickles, editor of industry journal TV Sports Markets.

Big name sponsors

But overseas merchandising, domestic and TV rights, and matchday earnings are not Real's only income streams.

It also has a number of high profile sponsorship partners - Bwin.com, Adidas, Coca-Cola, Audi, and Spanish beer brand Mahou.

An image rights deal with Adidas alone in early 2007 garnered them 762m euros.

Another benefit, one that helps attract top name players, is the fact that tax legislation allows their foreign players to pay tax at about 23% for the first five years that they are in the country.

It also helps that Real - from before the 1950s heyday of Di Stefano - is considered the "establishment team" and can call on close links with the government or city authorities when cash is tight.

Last but by no means least is the fact that Real, like Barcelona, are exempt from demands imposed on the majority of Spanish football clubs to become publicly listed companies.

Unlike the majority of European football clubs, Real Madrid are owned by its thousands of members, known as "socios", who elect the president.

That leaves it free of all the ramifications for takeovers and potential debt issues that being a listed company could involve.

In its report Deloitte said it would be difficult to see anyone topping Real Madrid at the top of the money league next year, but added "it will be interesting to see how the club copes with the loss of the Brand Beckham effect."

It appears Real are now answering that question by plugging that gap with the purchase of Kaka, and proposed purchase of Ronaldo.

i hope that clarify it for everyone ... one last time...
we are very shrewd and very good in milking money ... like us or hate us .. Real Madrid is followed by millions of supporters and fans

Warik it's expected... even the BBC report mention it.. god help us , i'll have to endure another 4 years of rubbish

Last edited:

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
You have all these deals which sound huge but most of the headline figures are for a long term agreement and you still had cashflow problems last summer which forced Calderón into taking out an emergency loan. People and companies who get themselves into huge debts nearly always make themselves - and others - believe that they have the means to pay it back and don't find out the truth until it's too late. Perez is playing a highly speculative game which sooner or later he or his successor will have to answer for if the revenues can't be increased sufficiently.

Beast

The Observer
You have all these deals which sound huge but most of the headline figures are for a long term agreement and you still had cashflow problems last summer which forced Calderón into taking out an emergency loan. People and companies who get themselves into huge debts nearly always make themselves - and others - believe that they have the means to pay it back and don't find out the truth until it's too late. Perez is playing a highly speculative game which sooner or later he or his successor will have to answer for if the revenues can't be increased sufficiently.

It was operation money Adam if you remember during March 08 *usually u get your big money in the summer after the season was over .. not a loan to pay debts or anything..and it was a small amount
the balance of the club was approved by the socios in the assembly meeting and nothing was wrong .. it was paid back

Delloit audit our balance it's not a club owned by a person who can lie and hide losses

looks like Ramos will be a full time CB next year as Maicon is reportedly close to move to Madrid in the next few days...

meanwhile the Madrid pro-press are reporting that Villa move will be announced in the next few hours

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
Despite the fact that Deloitte audit your accounts there's still a lot of doubt over your true financial position, Eugenio Martinez said as much.

Beast

The Observer
Despite the fact that Deloitte audit your accounts there's still a lot of doubt over your true financial position, Eugenio Martinez said as much.

it's normal for Eugenio to attack the other candidates .. but even Calderon said today that he left Perez with 91 Million cash (unlike Perez who left him with 4 Million ) ..
making money or having money was never a subject for Real under and post Perez..
the only ones who are speaking out now are the current Barca administration and it is understandable on many levels
but a global firm like Deloitte would never hide/fake details for Real Madrid .. they have a big reputation to keep and we are just a small fish in the sea for them ..
as i said there is hardly anything to hide.. a club is owned by its members who approve or disapprove the financial statues

Lemmi

The Reckoner
Interesting reaction especially from the fans....

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a round-up of reactions to the potentially world record-breaking transfer:
FORMER REAL MADRID PRESIDENT RAMON CALDERON
"It's going to be a big event for Real Madrid - Ronaldo is going to add a lot to my club.
"Last season, Manchester United decided not to do it because they thought it was too early. Everyone involved in the operation agreed to do it this season. That is what I can say.

"I don't mind that I was unable to sign him during my presidency. I am a Real fan and I'm very happy. The most important thing is the club.
"Real are very well organised with a lot of income, and the new president [Perez] can now spend the money I made and saved.
"We needed to improve by one or two players, and that's what Perez has done by signing Kaka and Ronaldo."
FORMER REAL MADRID MANAGER JUANDE RAMOS
"Am I surprised (that Ronaldo is joining Real Madrid)? No, because I knew it would happen at some stage.
"We already knew that Real Madrid had a pre-contract agreement with Cristiano Ronaldo and that it was only a matter of time.
"I don't know exactly when that agreement was made, but I do know it was in place."
UEFA PRESIDENT MICHEL PLATINI
"These excessive transfers are happening almost every day. It is very puzzling at a time when football faces some of its worst ever financial challenges.
"These transfers are a serious challenge to the idea of fairplay and the concept of financial balance in our competitions."
PFA CHIEF EXECUTIVE GORDON TAYLOR
"It sets a standard that so many clubs will be unable to compete with - and if you do try to compete (financially with Real Madrid) you are building massive volumes of debt.
"That's one of the reasons Manchester United couldn't refuse the bid - they were bought on the back of a leverage bid. They owe money and they've got interest to pay.
"Football isn't immune to the world's problems and, as such, is very vulnerable."
REAL MADRID DEFENDER PEPE
"I'm very happy because it is another Portuguese player who will be in Spanish football and I hope it's completed as soon as possible.
"The transfer will make history, but Real know Cristiano Ronaldo's potential well and the qualities he has to help the club perform."
TOMMY DOCHERTY, FORMER MAN UTD MANAGER
"When you fall out with Sir Alex, whatever may be the reasons - David Beckham did it as well with the entourage he carried with him - they're on their way.
"You can't have this disharmony brought upon the players and the club every year and I think United - £80m - cut their hands off and give Real Madrid the problem of handling Ronaldo from now on in.
"Man United are the biggest club in the world: talk about Real Madrid and Barcelona. No, when you leave Man United you go downhill."
PORTUGAL AND MAN UTD TEAM-MATE NANI
"Cristiano's departure is not impossible to fix.
"He will be missed but United have other players who can replace him."
FORMER MAN UTD PLAYER PADDY CRERAND
"My reaction is disappointment more than anything because he's a great, great player - this situation of 'is he or isn't he?' has been going on for last 12 months. I honestly thought he'd stay there as long as the manager would but it hasn't worked out that way, he obviously wants to go.

Crerand sorry to see Ronaldo go

"He's a great player - there's a lot of jealousy out there about great players and about Manchester United being successful so that comes into it, there's not many foreign players in England who don't do the occasional dive but he's a fantastic player.
"I never thought for one moment that he'd leave, I thought he might have stayed for another couple of years, it's a great disappointment."
WIGAN CHAIRMAN DAVE WHELAN
"When you look at this deal, you think football has gone absolutely mad. For Ronaldo to be worth £80m is just staggering.
"Something has to happen in this game because things can't go on like this."
SPORTS BUSINESS EXPERT PROFESSOR SIMON CHADWICK
"Manchester United are a private company and like any other private company have to think about their financial considerations. We have no indication of how much of the £80m they might use to service the debt, but clearly servicing their debt is very important to them.

Every player has a price - Chadwick

"Real Madrid's structure allows them to be much more ostentatious in terms of their spending. United are a private company, a profit-making organisation if they can, so there is an imperative to control costs while generating revenue.
"The debt is there, we are told they are controlling the debt, even so they have to pay some of the debt off on a regular basis.
ANDY MITTEN, UNITED WE STAND FANZINE EDITOR
"History will remember him very well in terms of his contribution as a footballer - he'll also be seen as petulant, egotistical and stubborn but he's been a wonderful player.
"We'll make a lot money out of him, the club is not going to die. When David Beckham left it was because the club wanted to sell him.
"I think Sir Alex Ferguson has been very clever, he has resources to replace Ronaldo and he doesn't see Madrid as a great threat - it's another stage in the history of Manchester United, we've got a brilliant manager, which is more important than a very talented winger."
FORMER MANCHESTER UNITED PLAYER ARTHUR ALBISTON
"I don't think they can turn it down. The only problem the manager has got is to find someone to replace Cristiano, given the number of goals he has scored.
"When Ruud van Nistelrooy left, people said the manager did not know what he is doing but Ronaldo stepped up to the plate.
"Whether this might allow them to sign Carlos Tevez now and still have money left in the kitty to get other players... the manager will not have his head buried in the sand. He will be looking and scouring the market worldwide."
MAN UTD SUPPORTERS TRUST CHIEF DUNCAN DRASDO
"We are calling upon the owners to make a statement of intent that all incoming transfer funds will be made available to Sir Alex Ferguson to allow the manager to strengthen the squad.
"With the expected £25-30m annual spend and other potential transfers (such as Fraizer Campbell) this should amount to at least £115m.
"There will be a spotlight shining on Manchester United transfer activity this summer to ensure the manager is given the resources he requires and that this money stays in the club."
SPORTS MINISTER AND MAN UTD FAN GERRY SUTCLIFFE
"If a player wants to go you've got to let him go but it's great business for the club; they bought him for £12m and they've sold him now for £80m.

Sutcliffe concern over huge transfer fees

"We saw Madrid spend £59m on Kaka from AC Milan just recently and that's why we've written to the Premier League and to the Football Association - and we are concerned about the sustainability of the game.
"They are big businesses now and this type of money is around but we've got to make sure that there's a link and there's a sustainability for this because we don't want to see clubs go to the wall."
FRENCH LEAGUE CHAIRMAN FREDERIC THIRIEZ
"Those amounts are neither understandable nor justifiable.
"These excesses will lead the sport to the wall... I ask for a European financial regulator."
PRIME MINISTER GORDON BROWN
"He's one of the most brilliant players in the world. I think people will be sad that he's lost to the game in England.
"At the same time, I know Sir Alex Ferguson well, and I know he'll have plans that will be rebuilding and renewing his team. And I would expect that Manchester United and English football will emerge not weaker, but emerge in a new way and probably stronger in the long run".
YOUR REACTIONS ON 606
"Better off him going now than in a couple of weeks' time. It was always going to happen so I'm surprised at the shock that seems to be around."
westyvilla84

606: DEBATE
Your reaction to Ronaldo's departure
"Ferguson doesn't make many mistakes (maybe Stam and van Nistlerooy leaving) so don't be surprised if they barely notice scuba-ron's departure."
MeTheDaddy
"Maybe he will be tested more in a stronger league where he isn't necessarily THE best player my a country mile."
vanhoward
"Good riddance! Can't say I'll miss him!"
LaneofPain
"That's all three of the best players in the world in Spain - Kaka, Ronaldo and Messi. La Liga is the best league in the world now."
Le Tiss 7 - retire the 7!
"I think Perez is about to kill Real Madrid ... no player is worth those sums, not even Kaka or Messi, not even them both, not even all three of them. Real Madrid will end up with nothing."
YigalP
"For another £20m we could buy Newcastle."Dannyxtra
"I remember Cantona saying once that Sir Alex sells players once he feels that they no longer have the desire and motivation to play for the club. Motivation and desire is the key and I think Ronaldo's is wearing off."
mesmerizingmaverick
"Who remembers all the gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands when Becks went? Boy we suffered then eh? Oh! . . . No! . . . We didn't! We are Man United and are pound for pound still one of the best teams ever to grace a pitch with or without whassisname . . ."
Splendidgent
"I hope Madrid's kitman doesn't mind getting a tracksuit knocked out of his hand by a big whinging baby - honestly glad he's gone."
jordanuk90MUFC
"Thanks Ronaldo - I use to go and see Best, Law and Charlton etc and since them and say King Eric you have been wonderfull to watch. Good luck, but we as United will continue to move forward as we always have done."
GogMartin
"Finally.........thank God!! Can we all talk about something else now?"
JonnyQPR
"It's amazing how some fans deride Ronaldo for not showing more loyalty, yet have no issue with players who left their teams(teams which found them/made them) to come to OT..eg Berbatov, Rooney."
sportszombie

Abaddon

King of the Bottomless Pit
What is important here, and I'm sure you know this, is that cash flow problems and capital problems are 2 completely different things and can exist completely independent of each other. Cash flow problems tell you very little about the solvency or financial structure of an organisation.

Madrid could very well have problems paying back those credits, I am not well placed to comment on that, but no such conclusion can be drawn from last season's CF problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans